• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rick's Top Twenty Five Silver Age Covers...

70 posts in this topic

I was concerned, at first, when I didn't see any Thor nominations (beyond JIM 112). Glad to see some were added.

My all-time favorite cover has to be Thor 127. Still gives me chills when I see it.

I also love Thor 157. It's the true Ragnarok cover for all time.

Even Thor 154 is great. Something about that odd green background. It actually makes Thor stick out and the background is nicely faded away. Some backgrounds drowned out the foreground and ruin it.

Sorry for all Thor submissions. But it's the main reason it's my number 1 collecting point.

Lastly, I'd submit Daredevil 16. A sweet realistic background with a fight between Daredevil and Spider-man. Or even Daredevil 38. Fantastic Doctor Doom mask that's reflecting a terrified Daredevil (or astonished).

I lied, couple more. Avengers 25. Great Doctor Doom and Avengers cover. Just love the background colors. JIM 109 with a great Magneto vs. Thor cover. JIM 112 is unbelievable as well (already listed). I always liked the JIM 125 finale too. Just a solid cover to the end of the JIM title.

Pat

I agree with the Thors. I mean, how many issues do you want to put on the list? What about #100? #103 is one of my favorites! How about #114? 118 is awesome!!! We could go on and on... thumbsup2.gif

— Rick

Seeing some of those extremely HG books makes me see why they're so appreciated. The Anderson & Infantino work looks exceptionally crisp. They were true professionals when it came to their jobs. cloud9.gif

I agree with the Thors. I mean, how many issues do you want to put on the list? What about #100? #103 is one of my favorites! How about #114? 118 is awesome!!! We could go on and on... thumbsup2.gif

— Rick

Funny you should say that. Someone nominated #103, #114 and #118 recently and they are on the list. gossip.gifcloud9.gif

When I made my choices, I tried to stay away from valuing key or semi-key books more than non-keys. The 103 and 114 are pretty sweet, but I think they hold more value due to the 1st appearances. The 118 is just a fantastic cover due to the blues in the background.

I know, I'm a nut job. I could make a top 25 Thor/JIM list. I'm sure there are plenty of Batmans or other titles that could fit this bill too.

Pat

Beautiful book, Arex. Another one of my favorite covers.

— Rick

893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks Rick, I was lucky enough to get that off of a forum member this past summer.

Now if I could find a pedigreed copy of my fav Thor cover 148.

That 127 is the best cover in all of comics, IMO (regardless of "Age"). Just unbelievable. I remember the first time I saw it. Nearly floored me, I was so impressed. Still don't have a worthy copy though.

Pat

P.S. - I must say that the Modern Age "Loki" series is some damn fine Thor stuff too. I never buy Hard Covers but did because the cover was so unbelievable.

P.S.S - Sorry for jacking your thread to Thor/JIM stuff.