• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has OSPG lost its relevance?

60 posts in this topic

So yeah, I know that some of you are thinking, "A better question is 'When did Overstreet lose its relevance?'"

As one of those boomerang collectors, the first thing I did was pick up an Overstreet. After all, it's what I had used for all those years. Of course, things had changed tremendously since I stopped collecting at the age of 25 (41 when I resumed).

GPA is another animal entirely and an excellent resource I don't want to go without as long as I'm acquiring slabs.

I still reference OSPG when looking at raws, but really, I can't fathom that they have some massive data gathering capacity for this. Does anyone have insight into where their pricing comes from? I mean, they can cull ebay and such, but they must be relying on anecdotal information or just making slight, formulaic adjustments to books that hardly move on the market year to year.

So yeah, is OPS worth it any more? How many of you have stopped buying it?

They use a random number generator. I kid. Still a great resource despite its built in lag. I use it to make sure I'm not out of whack when buying or selling common silver/bronze. And, it's still the best reference for looking up the significance, if any, of books.

I think book and magazine price guides are pretty much dead now. Since all this info can be added into a database and updated at a moments notice, physical means of pricing just cannot keep up.

Overstreet is far less relevant with slabs, but still works for raw collectors. Surprisingly they still swear by its pricing, and since they constitute the vast majority of comics collectors ( we on the boards are a small minority ) the Guide still holds value in the hobby. You just have to know which prices to increase and which to discount. Which takes work..

I'd say it's still an excellent resource. I look forward to it every year and use it about every other day. (thumbs u

Agreed! I love the war report too. (thumbs u

The only thing wrong with it,is it's a year outdated by the time it's released.

and since they constitute the vast majority of comics collectors
I'm willing to bet they don't.

I bet most collectors never look in any guide at all, and just buy the cheapest copy they can find on eBay, at the con, at the LCS, or on Chuck's website.

I'd say for raws eBay is the best gauge, except for at a convention or in a shop where something can be inspected in person.

I'd say never buy anything worth more than a couple hundred dollars raw. Never buy GA or SA at anything but absolute bargain rate raw. Bronze to current, where the possibility of restoration is slim, I'd say the guide could be used when you can inspect the comic in person.

Grade is mostly meaningless on eBay, and meaningless on all dollar comics (or "cheap" comics. Grade doesn't magically matter when you pay $1.50, which constitute the majority of everything published in my lifetime). Not guide dollar comics either, pretty sure those don't exist, despite half the stuff in the guide being worth that at best.

Modern keys, Bronze Age non keys of higher grade, for those things, when buying in person, I'd say the guide is somewhat relevant. I still wouldn't use one though.

I collect raws. I'm not a stickler for grade, I am a stickler for price. I buy mostly here and on eBay. I pay as little as possible and hope for a nice copy. Usually a comic has to be in pretty bad shape or clearly not what was described for me to have a problem. I have had very few problems. I will never pay 9.8 prices on anything raw, even if it is a 9.8. I'll pay going rate on eBay, I don't care if that one has an extra spine ding.

Overstreet is far less relevant with slabs, but still works for raw collectors. Surprisingly they still swear by its pricing, and since they constitute the vast majority of comics collectors ( we on the boards are a small minority ) the Guide still holds value in the hobby. You just have to know which prices to increase and which to discount. Which takes work..

+1

I believe it is intended as the price guide for brick and mortar stores. Rule of thumb is 40 to 50% off for many common books, with some books discounted even more.

I look at OSPG almost every day, but I only buy one every 2-4 years. I look at eBay sometimes for slab asking/sold prices.

I got rid of my - I my subscription to GPA, so that I can buy more books with that money.

I'd say it's still an excellent resource. I look forward to it every year and use it about every other day. (thumbs u

+1

I haven't bought one this year, but it's great just to flip through it, read some articles, look at pictures, and use it as a catalog of all books, not a price guide. I think a more serious discussion would be that the OSPG hasn't lost it's relevance but should change it's name to the Overstreet Comic Guide and loose the word Price.

Just MHO 2c

I like the guide for a lot of reasons. My LCS uses it so if something gets hot, if they have it, I can make the occasional flip. I got a Preacher #1 which they had graded a VF/NM for $14.40 plus tax last year. They had it priced at $18 and had a 20% off sale. That book ended up greasing CGC 9.6.

Anyway, I also like the articles, not just the pictures. lol

There is still a lot of useful info in that book including 1st appearances and market reports from guys who buy and sell for a living. Plus there are pictures of comics I'd probably have never seen if they didn't put them in the book. Please keep it around. :wishluck:

I like the guide for a lot of reasons. My LCS uses it so if something gets hot, if they have it, I can make the occasional flip. I got a Preacher #1 which they had graded a VF/NM for $14.40 plus tax last year. They had it priced at $18 and had a 20% off sale. That book ended up greasing CGC 9.6.

There is still a lot of useful info in that book including 1st appearances and market reports from guys who buy and sell for a living. Plus there are pictures of comics I'd probably have never seen if they didn't put them in the book. Please keep it around. :wishluck:

I love the market reports too,most of em are board members. (thumbs u

I love the market reports too,most of em are board members. (thumbs u

+1 on the market reports as it is my personal favorite part of the book!! (thumbs u