• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strange Tales #110 CGC 5.5! Is RESTORATION a good idea???

15 posts in this topic

Hello members, I have a serious question! I bought this Strange Tales #110 before the recent price increase. It's just about perfect in every way except for a cup ring & tearing on the cover caused by tape from the bag it was in. I considered having minor work done on it but was dissuaded by another collector. I think it could grade a CGC 9.0 with those 2 defects properly repaired. Not sure what a 9.0 with minor restoration would fetch but a 5.5 (SP) recently sold for $1673 on August 9th when universal copies are selling for around $1900, so I'd think a 9.0 could possibly get close to $10K. Please let me know what you think. All input is welcome & encouraged. Thanks in advance for your help & consideration on this matter.

P.S. - My question is more about financial investment that buyer preference! I know buyers prefer universal but the tape on the cover is already a detractor for most buyers. My interest is in increasing the comics selling value, for a greater profit margin.

aa80fe.jpg

d30ae4.jpg

what I wonder is if the restoration required to your book is slight to get the SP designation. The cup ring part of the book would required time consuming color re-touch. The book looks great as is.

I would inquire with a restoration expert as to the cost estimated and the grade they think it could get and then make a decision. I would only do it if you are thinking of selling.

I actually acquired a universal 9.2 & would only restore this copy for resell purposes! Without those 2 defects it looks really close to the 9.2 I have.

Any idea on who to contact about restoration?

Thanks for the input.

Leave it as is.

-J.

+1. What you'd spend in restoration wouldn't be worth it. Enjoy the book as it is and if you ever upgrade to a better copy, sell this one as a down payment.

What does restoration generally cost?

I actually acquired a universal 9.2 & would only restore this copy for resell purposes! Without those 2 defects it looks really close to the 9.2 I have.

Any idea on who to contact about restoration?

Thanks for the input.

Although it has gained tremendous value in the past 18 months it is still no AF 15 or hulk 1.

Leave it as is. You will have a far greater buyer pool.

-J.

Leave it as is.

-J.

+1. What you'd spend in restoration wouldn't be worth it. Enjoy the book as it is and if you ever upgrade to a better copy, sell this one as a down payment.

I can't give you an exact quote, but it would be well over $500 from what I've seen. It all depends on what someone would charge, but tear seals and enough color touch to cover a cup ring wouldn't be worth it as you'd never get that money back on the back end by selling it purple. Just enjoy the book and you can always upgrade further down the road.

Leave it as is.

-J.

I can't give you an exact quote, but it would be well over $500 from what I've seen. It all depends on what someone would charge, but tear seals and enough color touch to cover a cup ring wouldn't be worth it as you'd never get that money back on the back end by selling it purple. Just enjoy the book and you can always upgrade further down the road.

If it cost me let's say $1000+ to restore it, even if I could only get $5000 for it afterwords, that's still $2000 extra profit from it's current value! Just the tape is a detractor for most buyers, so while universal is preferred my question is more for financial purposes rather than buyer preference.

I think tops if that book was fixed/ restored the best you could hope for is a 8.0 and then at best you could get 25% to 40% of what a blue label goes for and thats only if someone decideds to pay that.

What you have is a great looking 5.5. The book is damaged where the coffee ring is and it looks like someone already tried to pick away at the stain. I'd keep it as is and when an announcement about the movie and actor it will spike again

I'd leave it alone too, and I'm a guy that has had resto done to a few books.

5.5 is a good grade right now, and any collector can see that it is High Grade in every way except for the cup ring. I think it would sell for a premium price because of how high grade it looks.

I also agree that it wouldn't make it to 9.0 because of that chunk missing at the top of the back cover. That piece would have to be leafcast and then you would lose your "Slight" designation.

Leave it, it's a great book. Congrats

Leave it as is.

-J.

If it cost me let's say $1000+ to restore it, even if I could only get $5000 for it afterwords, that's still $2000 extra profit from it's current value! Just the tape is a detractor for most buyers, so while universal is preferred my question is more for financial purposes rather than buyer preference.

Id say keep it as is. A copy of Amazing Fantasy 15 in SP 9.0 last sold for under 7 grand at 6,211.00 and a universal labeled copy in 9.0 sold for 191,200.00

That's an astounding difference and a pretty heavy indicator that most people really dislike restored books. In the end, those collectors dont feel the book is worth much since its been tampered with to such lengths. (shrug)

I'd say keep it as is for resale and profit value unless you decide you dont mind repairing it and you have no issue with keeping for several more years. Even then, if an amazing fantasy in 9.0 cant clear 10k, I'd doubt many other books could. I wish you the best of luck though either way. I absolutely love this book. (thumbs u