• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is action comic 15 the 5th cover appearance of superman?

54 posts in this topic

Since Superman #1 has an ad for Action Comics #14, you can assume that it was on the stands before Action #15.

Depending on which printing of Superman #1 you have the ad either states "On Sale June 2nd", or "On Sale Now"

Worlds Fair 1939 I really don't consider a competitive cover app. Blonde Superman? really?

Do covers win trophies?

Every cover should get a trophy! rantrant

Worlds Fair 1939 I really don't consider a competitive cover app. Blonde Superman? really?

Do covers win trophies?

Every cover should get a trophy! rantrant

If everyone's special, no one is.

I'm special.

Action Comics 13 was on the stands before Superman 1. Can anyone confirm if Superman 1 was on the stands before Action Comics 15. I understand CGC states Superman 1 was summer 1939 but which month?

The copyright book dates of publication tell us:

Apr 27 - Action Comics 13

Apr 29 - NY World's Fair 1939

May 18 - Superman 1

May 29 - Action Comics 14

June 24 - Action Comics 15

July 24 - Action Comics 16

Aug 19 - Superman 2

Aug 24 -Action Comics 17

Of historical interest: The '39 copyright books also confirm the theory that Superman was originally conceived as a one-shot ( see nearmint's page about this particular matter ), as the first one appears in the "Pamphlets, Leaflets, Etc" book. Then from #2 on appears in the Periodicals book as expected.

Action Comics 13 was on the stands before Superman 1. Can anyone confirm if Superman 1 was on the stands before Action Comics 15. I understand CGC states Superman 1 was summer 1939 but which month?

The copyright book dates of publication tell us:

Apr 27 - Action Comics 13

Apr 29 - NY World's Fair 1939

May 18 - Superman 1

May 29 - Action Comics 14

June 24 - Action Comics 15

July 24 - Action Comics 16

Aug 19 - Superman 2

Aug 24 - Superman 17

Of historical interest: The '39 copyright books also confirm the theory that Superman was originally conceived as a one-shot ( see nearmint's page about this particular matter ), as the first one appears in the "Pamphlets, Leaflets, Etc" book. Then from #2 on appears in the Periodicals book as expected.

Thanks for the info and nearmint's page regarding Superman 1. (thumbs u From this info, Action Comics 15 should be sixth Superman cover, but obviously 5th Superman cover appearance in the Action Comics.

Thanks for the info and nearmint's page regarding Superman 1. (thumbs u From this info, Action Comics 15 should be sixth Superman cover, but obviously 5th Superman cover appearance in the Action Comics.

No. Still seventh cover.

Since Superman #1 has an ad for Action Comics #14, you can assume that it was on the stands before Action #15.

Depending on which printing of Superman #1 you have the ad either states "On Sale June 2nd", or "On Sale Now"

This is interesting. I didn't know there were two versions. My two coverless have the "On sale June 2nd"

Is one version more rare than the other? I guess the "June 2nd" version is the 1st printing?

This is interesting. I didn't know there were two versions. My two coverless have the "On sale June 2nd"

Is one version more rare than the other? I guess the "June 2nd" version is the 1st printing?

There are three printings, and while the "On sale now" version is clearly not the first, no one has figured out if the second resembles the first or the third. If memory serves the print runs were 500,000, 250,000 and 150,000 in order. If one were able to check all extant copies you could probably extrapolate which ad the 2nd print carried from the ratios, but in the slabbed era that's not going to happen, especially as few in possession of a slabbed copy are going to be interested in finding out they don't have a first print.

There are three printings, and while the "On sale now" version is clearly not the first, no one has figured out if the second resembles the first or the third. If memory serves the print runs were 500,000, 250,000 and 150,000 in order. If one were able to check all extant copies you could probably extrapolate which ad the 2nd print carried from the ratios, but in the slabbed era that's not going to happen, especially as few in possession of a slabbed copy are going to be interested in finding out they don't have a first print.

What is the difference in the 3rd version?

My two copies are both coverless and not slabbed so I'll dig them out and compare them.

What is the difference in the 3rd version?

My two copies are both coverless and not slabbed so I'll dig them out and compare them.

:popcorn: