• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Told ya DD would be a BIG hit at the box office!!

39 posts in this topic

I know there is another post about this...but as I've been saying for a year now - there is huge pent-up demand for Marvel superhero movies, and as long as Marvel and the studios hire directors and writers and actors who are passionate about the project and don't deviate too much from the characters they are creating...this trend will be here to stay for a while.

$43 million - NICE, very very nice. If DD can do $100 million plus, that's huge for a second tier character with no mass media exposure...

Bring on the Man-Thing!!!!!

I just did a quick Google search and it looks like the film's budget was $60 million. Looks like they'll have no trouble at all recouping that just at the box office, not to mention all the other sales platforms.

That $60 million is old data. More recent estimates are $75-80 million BUT don't forget about the mammoth $45 million marketing budget. And, remember, the multiplexes keep a portion of the box office receipts, so you can't compare the box office grosses directly to the production budget. DD is not a cinch to recoup its costs from the domestic box office alone. However, throw in the foreign, video sales & rentals, pay-cable and network TV windows and I'm sure it will turn a profit.

But we all knew it would do that...the question is whether it will hit the lofty expectations that the insiders have. Even with the strong opening weekend, I doubt it - it was a no brainer that it would do well the first weekend with all the marketing hype and the lack of any strong competing films. Will the film have legs? The upcoming week also doesn't have any killer movies opening, so it's conceivable DD could retain the #1 slot (in fact, if it doesn't, I would be very worried if I was the distributor.) It's going to be very interesting...

- Gene

That's exactly right, and DD is starting to look like XXX, a movie everyone expected to do huge business, but only managed the $150 million range. When you spend $50 million on advertising alone, you expect to generate double that amount in the first week.

It's the same with DD; spending $45 million in promotion and getting back $43 million the first weekend (probably closer to $30-$35 million square), it can almost be deemed a disappointment. Studios back the movies they think are huge box-office draws with huge promotional budgets, not the middling-hits that reach the $100 range and break even after the foreign and DVD numbers are in.

Another great example is the Fat Wedding phenomenon; suddenly it's DVD time with a massive ad budget, and guess what, we hit 5 stores on Saturday and the dang thing was sold out. Would have done great otherwise, but put serious ad dollars behind a great property and you've got a million+ DVD seller in a single day.

Put serious promotional dollars behind a lukewarm property (DD) and you will naturally have a huge opening, but it's a coin toss what happens after that. It's all word of mouth and return viewers at that point.

Just looked up the estimated budget numbers, along with checking out a few Daredevil movie articles and interviews for timing.

Initial Pre-Production Budget: $80 million

Estimated Actual Budget: $90-100 million

Promotional Budget $45-$50 million++

It's quite obvious that the suits initially thought this would be another Spider-man and ride them to the $300-$400 million promised land. Maybe it they hired Sam Riami or Ang Lee... grin.gif

I have never seen or read about DD costing $100 mil.

The director and producer are all on record as saying $75 mil, $80 maybe.

AND, you're totally wrong if you think ANYONE in Hollywood expected DD to do Spider-man business. It's impossible. DD opened in Feb, Spidey opened in May - DD has zero mass media exposure vs. Spidey's near global brand recognition. They are totally opposite and Fox knew it. Which is why they spent so much to market the movie in the first place. Even if DD drops by 50% next weekend, the movie will be hard pressed not to do at least it's total production and marketing budget. YES, the theater gets half of that - but we're still talking about a superhero noone has heard of opening in the midldle of winter doing $125 mil at the box office and that's domestic only.

Make no mistake - doing right around $50 mil for the 4 day holiday weekend in the middle of the worst snowstorm in years is GREAT news for Fox and Marvel.

You have to consider the fanbase's for DD, Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner also. These three factors alone would generate the sort of opening weekend numbers we have seen.

The real test for the film will be whether or not the Daredevil concept/film itself can sustain the numbers for the next few weeks. Opening weekends really don't tell us much about how successful or not a film will be.

Yup - 2nd weekend is always critical.

But, worse case scenario is that the Marvel movies will continue for another couple of years since DD can't "bomb" at the box office at this point (as some have said it would!).

>>But, worse case scenario is that the Marvel movies will continue for another couple of years since DD can't "bomb" at the box office at this point (as some have said it would!).

Hey, I don't have a personal stake the Daredevil movie (as you seem to), I just thought it was tripe, and definitely not the kind of movie that creates additional comic book interest in its wake. Just check out the IMDB reviews and forums, there's some really nasty comments in there from the non-comic reading public. Never saw that level of negativity with Blade, X-Men or Spidey.

And as for the movie "bombing", any flick with Affleck, Garner and Farrell in it, with a $45 million+ promotional budget, that DOESN"T bring in $43 million on opening means we are in the midst of a war or martial law has been imposed. Otherwise, the heavy ad coverage will fill the seats, each and every time.

If playing the "spend big bucks on advertising and recouping it on opening weekend" is not bombing, then no big budget, highly promoted flick has ever bombed. If DD loses 50% of its revenue the second week, that's when Hollywood insiders start using those terms and potential losses loom.

If it maintains the box office second week (losing the usual 20-25%), then the movie will be highly successful ($150-$200 million) and probably make a nice profit in the secondary market.

Just curious, Joe....

While I admit, Daredevil was not Goodfellas or Raging Bull, orTaxi Driver, or Raiders of the Lost Ark - it was better than 90% of what else is out there. I thought it was quite good. Was it corny at times? Sure. But tripe???

What movies DO you like?

I can understand saying you thought it might be better. I can understand you saying it wasn't as good as Matrix - but dang...ease up. I am amazingly hard on movies and i thought it was a B...

You must have hated Carlito's Way and Lord of the Rings, too.

Sheesh!

Personally, my favorite movies include Aliens, LoTR, Die Hard, Predator, LA Confidential, Chinatown, Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Arc, The Fugitive, along with a ton of other action, adventure, thriller movies. And although Carlito's Way isn't in my Top 50, that opening segment in the pool hall is a true "movie moment" and one of the better action scenes I can remember.

The main reason I dislike Daredevil is that it was devoid of a story, used hack techniques like flashbacks, quick edits and cliched stunts, featured horrible dialogue, and seemed to be directed by a guy without any knowledge of the action genre. Other than the joy in seeing DD on film, I can't think of any redeeming quality in the movie, that would elevate it to the status that Spider-man, Blade or even The X-Men enjoy.

I've seen just about every North American action movie made, and Daredevil had few (if any) of the core components necessary to create an exceptional action film.

Some super-fans will state you need to "leave your brain at the door" when watching an action movie they like, but none of the action flicks in my Top 10 require that, and are actually quite smart movies with a detailed story and plot.

Aliens, for example, is one of the better-crafted movies I've ever seen, regardless of genre.

I'm not trying to argue here - and you are entitled to your own opinion - BUT....

It isn't better than Star Wars? The dialogue in Star Wars, in my opinion, was Sesame Street level at best.. Even at age 6 I thought Star Wars sucked.....

(I'm only picking on dialogue because you are so critical of Daredevil's)

Predator....wasn't that the movie where Jesse the Body exclaims"I ain't got time to bleed..." c'mon, man...

Die Hard - "Yippee Kiyae mother f'er"

lol........

I guess I just disagree with you on this movie.

I do absolutely agree that the pool hall scene in Carlito's way was one of the better movie moments ever - even though I really don't like Pacino's over the top bullcrap much - but I loved that movie.

Actually, the best crafted...nay, best movie ever, in my humble opinion was State of Grace with Penn, Oldman, and Harris. I've never seen better acting or better cinematography in my life. Plus a real storyline to boot...and naked Robin Wright...and tons of violence. Man - it doesn't get any better than that!

Since you're taking one single line from some of the greatest action/adventure movies ever made, to not-prove your point, I think this thread is about done. grin.gif

It's all about story and the lack of any coherent one in Daredevil that makes the movie unwatchable for me. All of my other criticisms (dialogue, acting, etc.) are secondary, and could have been overlooked if there was even a smidgen of a story in Daredevil.

If you don't believe me, write 1 sentence that describes the Daredevil story, encapsulating the entire movie in one "must see" promo. I don't think it can be done, as nothing is really taking place story-wise to Daredevil, at least nothing interesting or compelling in any way.

Now compare that the classic character journey of Star Wars, Carlito's Way, Die Hard, Aliens, or just about any memorable action flick out there. A few lame lines or bad acting I can handle, as long as a story unfolds, and the movie plot and theme progress.

I can't see how anyone could find a compelling story in Daredevil.

Blind man fights crime in gimp outfit to avenge dead dad, meets a martial arts babe whose dad gets aced by a crazed killer hired by a greedy businessman - everybody fights and the blind man learns to relax (a bit) because he's not "the bad guy".

I agree with most sentiments. I wasn't repulsed by Daredevil, and at times I was mildly entertained. It's no classic by any means, but it's not a stinker either.

Kev

Star Wars: A young farmer joins an old wizard on a quest to rescue a princess and save the galaxy.

Die Hard: A cop on vacation finds himself trapped in a building taken over by terrorists, and must thwart their plot and rescue his marriage at the same time.

Predator: While on a jungle rescue mission, a group of hardened commandos are stalked by an alien hunter with a taste for human skulls.

Carlito's Way: Released from prison, an ex-drug dealer tries to break free from his criminal ways, but attempts one last score before leaving town.

Daredevil: A man with superhuman senses fights, bleeds, and fights again, before rising one last time to fight once more.

Oh come one man....

honestly...

Star Wars: Guy that looks like girl follows the only credible actor noticeably aggitated to be in a pos movie with a taling robot and remote control vacuum cleaner to fight the big bad guy in black.

I can do that too.

lol

Okay - daredevil:

A man blinded as a youth carries on his pledge to his dead father to ensure justice is done, and in the end, avenges his father's death.

>>I agree with most sentiments. I wasn't repulsed by Daredevil, and at times I was mildly entertained. It's no classic by any means, but it's not a stinker either.

I think my growing DVD collection has raised the bar for what I deem a good action movie. Seeing great movies time and again makes the faults of Daredevil stand out like nothing else.

But hey, that's the new world, and lifeless gimp movies don't fare so well in the home theatre age.

Carlito's way is a great flick. How did it make its way into this debate? Dosen't really fit in with the aformentioned movies. confused.gif