• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first PLOD

41 posts in this topic

It was bound to happen sooner or later but I finally got a book back with the purple label of doom.

The book was an Green Lantern # 40 7.0 OW/White. According to the label there was slight color touch on the cover.

From what I could see on ebay a similar book with a blue label would be worth roughly $150-175. Any idea what this book is worth with the purple label?

IMO, at the very most, half of that, roughly 80.00 but it may be a difficult sell Probably more like 50 - 60.00 . Sorry.

Thanks!

I think the law of large numbers just caught up to me.

Now karma owes me a 9.9 or a 10.0 on a future submission.

Any way to remove the CT?

I just got the book back so I am not sure how extensive the color touch is.

I am sure someone with the right skill set could remove it (Matt Nelson, etc.)

My concern is that it would cost more to have someone remove the color touch than I could get on the sale of the book (vs a sale as is).

Thoughts?

It was bound to happen sooner or later but I finally got a book back with the purple label of doom.

The book was an Green Lantern # 40 7.0 OW/White. According to the label there was slight color touch on the cover.

From what I could see on ebay a similar book with a blue label would be worth roughly $150-175. Any idea what this book is worth with the purple label?

One sold in that grade (SA) in Jan 2013 for $89.

Blue label or purple label?

IMO, at the very most, half of that, roughly 80.00 but it may be a difficult sell Probably more like 50 - 60.00 . Sorry.

Thanks!

Karma doesn't work that way.

I had a raw Green Lantern mid grade copy once that was sold. The buyer had it CGC'd and it came back color touch. I couldn't figure why anyone would bother, then I figured maybe someone just doodled on the cover with a pen while they were making a phone call. It was like a VG/F. (shrug)

Thanks!

Not with that kind of attitude it doesn't.

Actually it was Jan 2012 but it doesn't matter much. That would be a high water mark = you would probably have to price it under that so it looks like a deal.

BTW, I agree that it would NOT be worth the expense to send it to Matt. I suspect even Matt would concur. Just sell it and move on.

Sounds like Purple label with the SA (Slight Amateur) designation.

Any way to remove the CT?

I just got the book back so I am not sure how extensive the color touch is.

I am sure someone with the right skill set could remove it (Matt Nelson, etc.)

My concern is that it would cost more to have someone remove the color touch than I could get on the sale of the book (vs a sale as is).

Thoughts?

Do some quick cash flow math:

two options:

1. Sell now: +$60 NOW

2a. Sent to CCS but can't remove

$6 shipping (might as well unslab it)

Screen $5?

Return Shipping $6

Total $17

Sale price $20 (since its no longer slabbed)

Net Cash Flow +$3 in like 3-4 weeks

2b. Sent to CCS but CAN remove

$6 shipping

CCS Removal $25

CGC Grading $35

Return shipping $12

Approx $80

Sale pRice $180

Net Cash Flow +$100 in 10-12 weeks

BUT you risk grade drop, BUT you might have dealer discounts! I'd probably press it too if I took this option.

I think it depends on how long you can tie your money up for. If you can get $80 now? that's might be better for many people than a chance at $100 in 12 weeks. On the other hand, you can think of it like a stock that you make a 125% percent return on 3 months, that's crazy good! (and even better if the current price is actually $60!), or that the grade might improve with a press!

hope this helped, that's how I'd think about it.

Thanks!

Not with that kind of attitude it doesn't.

You're talking about the laws of probability.

Karma says good intent and good deed contribute to good karma and future happiness, while bad intent and bad deed contribute to bad karma and future suffering.

If its a Karma thing, then you need to analyze what you did to deserve this happening to you in the first place.

That being said, you might try contacting the seller.

I know I helped someone here in the past. He had bought a book from someone on eBay that he had CGC'd, and it came back plod. I recognized the book as one I had sold on here, clearly labeled and discounted for color touch. So I gave him a link to my sale thread, and the contact info of my purchaser. It turns out the purchaser sold a known restored book without disclosing the restoration to the next purchaser. I believe the person got a refund after the seller was confronted with the cold, hard evidence.

Sounds like Purple label with the SA (Slight Amateur) designation.

Right, PLOD Slight Amateur.