• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Preferred method of payment for Mega-Keys at a con...

138 posts in this topic

I'm curious as to what the preferred method of payment would be?

Would dealers rather $6k in cash?

Do they swipe a card?

Do any prefer you gift the funds via paypal on the spot?

Any help on this one?

As mentioned earlier, cash is king.

When using PayPal personal, there is no concern for either party. If there's an extra cost to the buyer, I would consider taking that off of the purchase price. Speedy-D talking about no protection for the buyer doesn't make any sense. The buyer has the book and is walking away, what protection could he possibly need? If he's worried about his own safety, that has nothing to do with the method of payment after he's paid.

Now, if it isn't PayPal personal, then the dealer has a lot to worry about. The buyer pays via PayPal, walks away with the book, gets home and does a chargeback. Then the seller is squirming and likely out the book and the money. If it isn't someone you know and trust, then to protect himself, the dealer should only accept "personal".

A cheque/check is no problem for people that you know. If you don't know them, forget it. Unless that person has been confirmed by a reputable dealer that there will be no problems, would I only consider this.

Visa/MC is fine, but I would call in for authorization and then get their signature on the written receipt.

In the end, most serious buyers will bring cash, I would say. 2c

Maybe it's random, but I've been called by PP asking about personal/regular payments I've received and been reminded what the rules are. So I wouldn't say that a dealer accepting personal PP is without risk for high dollars sales. Perhaps they only spot check, but I would be reluctant to risk my standing with PP.

Thanks for posting this. I've never been called by PayPal and wouldn't have known others were.

Maybe it's random, but I've been called by PP asking about personal/regular payments I've received and been reminded what the rules are. So I wouldn't say that a dealer accepting personal PP is without risk for high dollars sales. Perhaps they only spot check, but I would be reluctant to risk my standing with PP.

Thanks for posting this. I've never been called by PayPal and wouldn't have known others were.

Yeah, note to self: If PayPal calls, I'm not home

seems like comic books would be a method to launder large sums of money-- I wonder if the cartels/mob etc have ever done any of that in the collectibles market. Perhaps art itself would be easier? not sure-- the small amounts, 1 or 2K here and there can add up pretty quick if you have enough people doing the job.

Um...yes.

I

- Let's say you are negotiating with a dealer. You say you'll pay cash & he says he can do 10% off. You never know exactly how much you are actually saving... For all you know, he'd do 10% off even if you pay by credit card, and the extra 3% is going into his pocket and not yours. I haven't figured out yet how to negotiate first, then demand another 3% off for cash.

You could always negotiate first before deciding on type of payment. Or tell them you are doing something other than cash and then ask after you are done if they can do better for cash.

But really, how do you ever know if you got the best price unless you walk out the door and wait for them to chase you down.

I know I say this often, but I'll say it again here:

Paypal Personal is not for merchandise. It is against Paypal's terms.

If you are going to use Paypal, you need to PAY THEM for the service they provide.

All the "but, but, but" excuses in the world don't mean squat.

If you use Paypal personal for goods/services, you are STEALING from Paypal.

(And yes, I have refunded payments from people who sent via Personal for goods/services. Reimbursing for CGC fees, witnessing fees, shipping costs is one thing...you're not buying anything from the person you're sending money to. But buying goods/services is the real deal.)

If you are going to use Paypal, you need to PAY THEM for the service they provide.

(And yes, I have refunded payments from people who sent via Personal for goods/services. Reimbursing for CGC fees, witnessing fees, shipping costs is one thing...you're not buying anything from the person you're sending money to. But buying goods/services is the real deal.)

And just remember, the founder of PayPal is a guy that drives a Tesla - a car you can't hear coming - and can dispose of your body in outer space via his SpaceX program.

Pay the 3%.

seems like comic books would be a method to launder large sums of money-- I wonder if the cartels/mob etc have ever done any of that in the collectibles market. Perhaps art itself would be easier? not sure-- the small amounts, 1 or 2K here and there can add up pretty quick if you have enough people doing the job.

Um...yes.

Yep.even counterfeit books.

I have to admit my compass changed a little on these matters after living abroad for a few years. Cheating on taxes, selling counterfeit designer clothes, and gaming the government for unemployment benefits are things few would criticize you for in Spain for example (nothing I ever did but all things people I knew did). I know there are some goody-two-shoes on these boards regarding PayPal because I've seen their posts before.

Who's to draw the line between a "personal" and "non-personal" payment? If I'm paying my brother back because he loaned me money for a lawnmower last year, doesn't he really own it and I'm buying a "good" from him? Who says Dale Roberts didn't give me an FF 48 for my birthday and I gave him a thousand dollars for his? If PayPal doesn't want people gaming their system, then they shouldn't offer a free option at all.

And just remember, the founder of PayPal is a guy that drives a Tesla - a car you can't hear coming - and can dispose of your body in outer space via his SpaceX program.

Pay the 3%.

I don't think he works there anymore lol

Plus, he cries on camera just because some astronauts said they don't like his company (see 60 Minutes interview)

I have to admit my compass changed a little on these matters after living abroad for a few years. Cheating on taxes, selling counterfeit designer clothes, and gaming the government for unemployment benefits are things few would criticize you for in Spain for example (nothing I ever did though). I know there are some goody-two-shoes on these boards regarding PayPal because I've seen their posts before.

Who's to draw the line between a "personal" and "non-personal" payment? If I'm paying my brother back because he loaned me money for a lawnmower last year, doesn't he really own it and I'm buying a "good" from him? Who says Dale Roberts didn't give me an FF 48 for my birthday and I gave him a thousand dollars for his? If PayPal doesn't want people gaming their system, then they shouldn't offer a free option at all.

I think the 'gift' is fine. I consider the fee to be protection money. If I want to forego the protection, then the fee is not paid. Something go wrong on a 'gift' transaction? Tough luck, I'm SOL - like all things in life, it is a calculated risk.

I have to admit my compass changed a little on these matters after living abroad for a few years. Cheating on taxes, selling counterfeit designer clothes, and gaming the government for unemployment benefits are things few would criticize you for in Spain for example (nothing I ever did though). I know there are some goody-two-shoes on these boards regarding PayPal because I've seen their posts before.

It's always a good thing to see people take definitive stands on stealing. Helps me know where you're coming from.

Who's to draw the line? Paypal. It's their service.

And Paypal doesn't have a choice. Finance regulations require them to have this option.

"If you didn't want me robbing you, why do you own things people want??"

I think the 'gift' is fine. I consider the fee to be protection money. If I want to forego the protection, then the fee is not paid. Something go wrong on a 'gift' transaction? Tough luck, I'm SOL - like all things in life, it is a calculated risk.

No, it's theft.

I mean, come on...just call it like it is. You're ok with stealing.

This, by the way, is one of the reasons why the Probation List/Hall of Shame is mostly a joke around here. It's ok to steal from Paypal, but HOO BOY, you best not steal from ME.

:sumo:

It's always a good thing to see people take definitive stands on stealing. Helps me know where you're coming from.

And Paypal doesn't have a choice. Finance regulations require them to have this option.

Being very honest, I have never read their service agreement.

I have purchased, I believe, three items in the many, many years I have used PayPal using the 'gift' option. The most expensive item was $200.

Each time I did it, it was at the seller's request.

No, it's theft.

This, by the way, is one of the reasons why the Probation List/Hall of Shame is mostly a joke around here. It's ok to steal from Paypal, but HOO BOY, you best not steal from ME.

The seller is stealing from PayPal, I'm just their accomplice - if you're going to be pedantic, at least get it correct. :thumbsup:

Also, I hope you are out there telling PayPal they're stealing from me every time they fail to pay me interest on any balance of of my cash they're holding. Unfortunately for me - probably isn't in their service agreement though :(

All joking aside though, I never liked doing it the handful of times I did it.

Being very honest, I have never read their service agreement.

I have purchased, I believe, three items in the many, many years I have used PayPal using the 'gift' option. The most expensive item was $200.

Each time I did it, it was at the seller's request.

Well of course, because they didn't want to pay the fee.

But it is still stealing.

The real question is, what will you do now that you're aware of it.

We have pages and pages of probation list discussions regarding bad deals, but no one bats an eye if it's stealing from Paypal.

That doesn't make sense.

And I'm well aware that there are people who will roll their eyes at this, and continue to do it. But a man always reaps what he sows.

No, it's theft.

The seller is stealing from PayPal, I'm just their accomplice - if you're going to be pedantic, at least get it correct. :thumbsup:

If we're going to get REALLY pedantic, I didn't say YOU were stealing. I said IT is stealing. Just because we're being pedantic and all.