• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Preferred method of payment for Mega-Keys at a con...

138 posts in this topic

Of course. It depends entirely on the context.

If I disagree that you have a right to the things you own, but you believe you DO, and I thereby seek to take them by force or stealth, have I violated an ethical code that says "stealing is wrong"...?

Yes.

Is it a difference of opinion?

Yes.

It all depends on the context. In THIS context, it does.

How do you feel about following laws that make no sense to a given individual?

I'm not speaking about the PayPal issue - you have your interpretation that you have a black and white view on, that much is clear (my own view on it is not yet fully formed, their user agreement is nebulous) - but more in general... would you follow a law, simply because it is a law, because it is on the books... even if you thought it was stupid / harmful / illogical / unfair / etc?

If I disagree that you have a right to the things you own, but you believe you DO, and I thereby seek to take them by force or stealth, have I violated an ethical code that says "stealing is wrong"...?

Yes.

Yes.

I'm not speaking about the PayPal issue - you have your interpretation that you have a black and white view on, that much is clear (my own view on it is not yet fully formed, their user agreement is nebulous) - but more in general... would you follow a law, simply because it is a law, because it is on the books... even if you thought it was stupid / harmful / illogical / unfair / etc?

I hope people do. Otherwise it might be dangerous just stepping out your door every day.

BTW...

Who DOESN'T have the bar code reader app on their smart phone? There is nothing like walking into your local TRU and getting cheaper prices because they have the item online at a cheaper price in their very own store. I price compare like a boss these days.

All my phones are dumb.

:(

What's a "TRU"?

So the store price matches their online prices? That's always handy.

Toys R Us... traditionally speaking for some strange reason, at least in NY. The Brick and Mortar Toys R Us stores carry items priced higher than the same exact item on their own website that offers free shipping. It is absurd. The difference is staggering. For example, around Christmas time, a certain Star Wars vehicle was priced $79.99 at the brick and mortar Toys R Us but priced $49.99 then $39.99 on the Toys R Us website. I punched up the website on my phone and they matched the price for a few of them right then and there.

I find that there are very few stores that will match Amazon.

Now the red laser app, amazon bar code reader and other apps will scan a barcode and instantly draw up all the local stores around you that are offering the items as well as their in store prices. In addition they usually bring up the price on Amazon and any other sites including, at times, eBay.

I was in a hardware store and scanned a cordless drill to find it 30% cheaper at Target of all places.

In the last few months I had to buy a lot of medical supplies. I would look up the item in PT and sometimes I would stop at Sports Authority, Walmart or buy it on Amazon depending on who had the best price.

The best use... is... and sorry Best Buy but thems the breaks. There is a saying that Best Buy is sometimes nothing more than Amazon's showroom. I find that to be true especially as I can never find anyone to help me until I turn the sound up and they hear the distinctive barcode reading beep. I will scan a box of an item I am looking for with Amazon and can instantly read dozens of online reviews. Sometimes Best Buy has the better price or the item is too large to risk shipping but in either case I use the app to make a better informed decision.

Yes.

Yes.

1. It's up to the individual to understand the law. It is not the authorities' responsibility if the individual doesn't understand the law. If an individual doesn't understand, and cannot be made to understand, that doesn't absolve their responsibility to obey it.

2. It depends, as always, entirely on context. There are thousands and thousands of laws that are stupid/harmful/illogical/unfair. Does that mean I have the right to violate them because I don't like them?

I think that miles per gallon standard regulations are not only stupid, they're dangerous. Auto manufacturers, in an attempt to obey these regulations, have significantly heightened the risk of most drivers on the road, by building lightweight, composite material bodies that do little to protect people in a crash.

But does that mean the auto manufacturers should disregard those regulations? No.

I think the speed limits in certain sections of public roads are woefully underadequate for the technology we now possess. As has been demonstrated in Germany for decades, we can safely drive, under ideal conditions, well over the current legal limits in most states.

Does that mean I should be free to disregard the limit laws? I do so at my own financial peril.

Civil disobeyers say not only should we disobey those laws with which we disagree, but we MUST.

But they rarely consider the context, and give carte blanche for anyone to disobey anything simply because they disagree.

NAMBLA, anyone...?

I have a different worldview, one that requires obedience to the law up to a certain line, even if I think the law is unjust.

However...if the law requires me to, for example, steal from someone else...I will not obey that law, regardless of what the authorities say. But those lines are very clearly defined for me, and not anything I can be casual about.

BTW...

Who DOESN'T have the bar code reader app on their smart phone? There is nothing like walking into your local TRU and getting cheaper prices because they have the item online at a cheaper price in their very own store. I price compare like a boss these days.

All my phones are dumb.

:(

What's a "TRU"?

So the store price matches their online prices? That's always handy.

Toys R Us... traditionally speaking for some strange reason, at least in NY. .

Gotcha. I have a Toys R Us within walking distance of my house. I rarely go in, though. It's a tad creepy, with its no windows.

Google map Toys R Us in Burbank, and you'll see wht I mean.

(my own view on it is not yet fully formed, their user agreement is nebulous)

Can you please explain to me what you find nebulous about "without a purchase"?

I'd really like to understand your POV.

Can a mom pay her son allowance via PayPal personal? She's purchased a service.

That is an interesting question. I have my perspective, but what is yours on that?

The specificity of what I have read states that the onus of the method used for a purchase in an exchange for goods or services is basically upon the seller *not* requesting the buyer use PayPal personal. Every single time I have done this, it has been such a case - I have never suggested it, never asked if I could get a discount if I paid in such a manner, etc.

Have I violated their end user agreement in a non-subjective manner?

The specificity of what I have read states that the onus of the method used for a purchase in an exchange for goods or services is basically upon the seller *not* requesting the buyer use PayPal personal. Every single time I have done this, it has been such a case - I have never suggested it, never asked if I could get a discount if I paid in such a manner, etc.

Have I violated their end user agreement in a non-subjective manner?

And what about section 16?

I pay credit card as I want to get the points/miles. I've never had a dealer balk at this, if they sell high dollar item comics it's on them to accept credit cards. If they don't they're living in the stone age. If they say they don't accept CCs they're just trying to save the CC fees, don't fall for it. I'm willing to pay cash if the dealer gives me a discount, but I usually don't bring more than about $3000-$4000 in cash with me to cons. You're the buyer, and except for really rare items (and there's not many) it's a buyer's market. You dictate the terms, not the dealer.

It's different of course when it's a collector-collector deal. Then I'll use PP and sometimes I'll agree to use personal so I pay the fees, it depends on the deal. At a con I guess I'd pay cash since the price would be lower with a collector, but again it depends on who much cash I have on me.

She purchased a service that is not going to be subjected to tax disclosures, because he's a minor. The same goes when I Paypal my wife money for something. I'm giving her money that is not going to have any sort of tax ramifications. Paypal is allowing me to forward money out of convenience to family or friends that is not a business transaction. I'm glad they have that service.

While I won't say that I never send Paypal personal to people, I seldom ever do it. If someone tries to negotiate PP personal, I tend to counter with a number and that I will pay the PP fees (or that I will not send Personal - depends on how the negotiating goes). I like to have my purchases covered, and I feel that PP fees are all part of the cost of doing business - even if you're a hobbyist.

I'm convinced. RockMyAmadeus is a paypal employee.

Paypal could not afford the salary and demands I would make before I would ever consider working for them.

hm

Neither can you. A billion dollars, plus bonuses, and 2 months paid vacation.

:sumo:

I'm convinced. RockMyAmadeus is a paypal employee.

Paypal could not afford the salary and demands I would make before I would ever consider working for them.

hm

Neither can you. A billion dollars, plus bonuses, and 2 months paid vacation.

:sumo:

And he'll only take it if you send it PayPal Personal.