• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to ship via Media Mail and make it a viable shipping option?

185 posts in this topic

Hey 1cool, you can only send trades by media mail.

My Post Office in Dixon here, took up my fight with them to their higher ups.

And basically, if there is an add in the comic, the comic does not

meet the media mail requirements.

Does not matter how old the add is.

I also brought it up with CA Senator Fienstein.

and I am still getting her junk mail,

See, I also thought this was stupid. I mean if I sell a comic from 1985 the rule shouldn't apply.

I think if they modified the law, by putting a date in I think it would satisfy a lot of complaints.

Don't know if anyone knows, is it the post office where you drop off the box that inspects the package, or somewhere else?

Not sure. I've never seen it "at the counter" so I assume in the back.

So if you start getting complaints about media mail shipment, you should drop off at a different office.

Well if your whole region is strict like mine you're stuck.

I just use priority nowadays.

the level of service you get at a post office varies from one day to the next. Case in point, one day I am sending my stuff and put it on the counter like I normally do. The lady behind the counter starts yelling at me"are you sure you have the weight correct on that package?" I don't know what to think of that statement-- should have just left with the package instead of bothering with this stupid branch. Anyway-- I take the package and she weighs it and of course I have weighed it correctly. But now she starts asking twenty questions about the contents. It was very frustrating. I was sending text books to a dean of a college. They still opened up the media mail package and assessed a WHOPPING surcharge over one item in the box not being educational material. 95% of the box was books. One items was not. My question is why do these workers have such a bug up their asses about this stuff?

So I get over it and just deal with the postage.

So I make sure to stand in line the next time I go to drop something off that wont fit in their package drop. The person yells at me this time because I had pre-paid for my postage and that I was supposed to just put it on the counter and not take up their time--as that defeats the purpose of prepaid postage. I shake my head and just pray this package gets to its destination.

The very next time I come in-- I again try to put some small packages on the counter and OF COURSE-- get scolded for not standing in line.

WTF-- whoever manages this branch has ZERO control over how they handle their customers. You would think a post office would be excited to see people still mailing anything. NOPE. These people seem to find something wrong with however you do it. It is borderline insanity.

It's worth standing in line for no other reason than to make sure they are scanned in and a receipt is provided.

See, I also thought this was stupid. I mean if I sell a comic from 1985 the rule shouldn't apply.

I think if they modified the law, by putting a date in I think it would satisfy a lot of complaints.

That would be great!!

Hey 1cool, you can only send trades by media mail.

My Post Office in Dixon here, took up my fight with them to their higher ups.

And basically, if there is an add in the comic, the comic does not

meet the media mail requirements.

Does not matter how old the add is.

I also brought it up with CA Senator Fienstein.

and I am still getting her junk mail,

But then you are requiring the postal employee to take your comic out of the bag and flip through it to find a printing date. Not only would that be very inefficient, I don't think anyone here would want postal employees handling our books.

More info: https://about.usps.com/notices/not121/not121_tech.htm

Media Mail packages may not contain advertising. Comic books do not meet this standard. Books may contain incidental announcements of other books and sound recordings may contain incidental announcements of other sound recordings. In accordance with standards in the Mailing Standards of the United States Postal Service, Domestic Mail Manual (DMM), Section 170, Media Mail packages must have a delivery address and the senders return address and are subject to inspection by the Postal Service. Upon such inspection, matter not eligible for the Media Mail rate may be assessed at the proper price and sent to the recipient postage due, or the sender may be contacted for additional postage.

As stated in other threads, this is a notice, written by someone at the USPS internally, that carries no authority.

The USPS regulations are contained in the Domestic Mail Manual, or "DMM", which contains the official regulations the USPS operates by.

In other words, if it's not in the DMM...it's not binding.

Define "no authority" and "not binding".

I'm sorry, but if postal employee #3,742 inspects your media mail package, and charges you more for shipping...seems like they have the authority, to cost you extra money.

That's binding enough for me, regardless of what the DMM says. (shrug)

You mean, postal employees never do things they don't have the authority to do....?

hm

No one bothers to fight it, but it is a winnable fight.

This is the response I was hoping for.

How would you win that fight?

Glad I could give you what you wanted. :)

Usually, when a government agency has regulations which aren't clear, you have to sue them to get it fixed.

Force the USPS to clarify the policy either way.

The USPS is clearly aware of the issue, and yet refuses to fix the DMM.

Ever wonder why....?

why don't you just do the right thing and quit shipping comics media mail? :shrug:

The WNY area is one of the worst.

In the last few years they started a policy of opening every single media package and inspecting it (I don't know if they do or just say that to scare people).

Comic books get a zero tolerance policy.

I guess my point was, either accept the risk or don't use the service for what it is not intended to do.

Sending printed material cheaply through the mail is precisely what it was intended to do.

the level of service you get at a post office varies from one day to the next. Case in point, one day I am sending my stuff and put it on the counter like I normally do. The lady behind the counter starts yelling at me"are you sure you have the weight correct on that package?" I don't know what to think of that statement-- should have just left with the package instead of bothering with this stupid branch. Anyway-- I take the package and she weighs it and of course I have weighed it correctly. But now she starts asking twenty questions about the contents. It was very frustrating. I was sending text books to a dean of a college. They still opened up the media mail package and assessed a WHOPPING surcharge over one item in the box not being educational material. 95% of the box was books. One items was not. My question is why do these workers have such a bug up their asses about this stuff?

So I get over it and just deal with the postage.

So I make sure to stand in line the next time I go to drop something off that wont fit in their package drop. The person yells at me this time because I had pre-paid for my postage and that I was supposed to just put it on the counter and not take up their time--as that defeats the purpose of prepaid postage. I shake my head and just pray this package gets to its destination.

The very next time I come in-- I again try to put some small packages on the counter and OF COURSE-- get scolded for not standing in line.

WTF-- whoever manages this branch has ZERO control over how they handle their customers. You would think a post office would be excited to see people still mailing anything. NOPE. These people seem to find something wrong with however you do it. It is borderline insanity.

It's worth standing in line for no other reason than to make sure they are scanned in and a receipt is provided.

perhaps you missed the part where I was trying to do that and was scolded for wasting their time with pre-paid postage.

bottom line-- it is never consistent.

Media Mail packages may not contain advertising. Comic books do not meet this standard. Books may contain incidental announcements of other books and sound recordings may contain incidental announcements of other sound recordings. In accordance with standards in the Mailing Standards of the United States Postal Service, Domestic Mail Manual (DMM), Section 170, Media Mail packages must have a delivery address and the senders return address and are subject to inspection by the Postal Service. Upon such inspection, matter not eligible for the Media Mail rate may be assessed at the proper price and sent to the recipient postage due, or the sender may be contacted for additional postage.

As stated in other threads, this is a notice, written by someone at the USPS internally, that carries no authority.

The USPS regulations are contained in the Domestic Mail Manual, or "DMM", which contains the official regulations the USPS operates by.

I'm sorry, but if postal employee #3,742 inspects your media mail package, and charges you more for shipping...seems like they have the authority, to cost you extra money.

You mean, postal employees never do things they don't have the authority to do....?

hm

Usually, when a government agency has regulations which aren't clear, you have to sue them to get it fixed.

Ever wonder why....?

When was the last time you sued the government?

so wait-- I can't still get that 150 piece set of army soldiers for $1.99 any more

what a rip off!

I know, right!??

Trust me, it was a ripoff at $1.99. I spent all summer waiting for my Giant tank battle set, only to get a box about the size of a small priority mail box, containing 48 two flat tanks and other vehicles and a 'realistic' battlefied that was plastic with brown indicating land, blue meaning water and a sliver of grey that represented the bridge.

Found out later that Giant was the brand that Helen of Toy sold.

hm

Ever wonder why....?

People sue the government every day, all day long.

hm

Ever wonder why....?

The time/money involved in suing the government, is definitely worth it to save that few extra bucks you will pocket from using media mail.

Plus you get to stick it to the man, so that's nice.

so wait-- I can't still get that 150 piece set of army soldiers for $1.99 any more

what a rip off!

I know, right!??

Trust me, it was a ripoff at $1.99. I spent all summer waiting for my Giant tank battle set, only to get a box about the size of a small priority mail box, containing 48 two flat tanks and other vehicles and a 'realistic' battlefied that was plastic with brown indicating land, blue meaning water and a sliver of grey that represented the bridge.

Found out later that Giant was the brand that Helen of Toy sold.

I never sent in for those-- not my thing I guess.At least you got something. The one item I tried to buy was that full set of fishing tackle etc--- it looks like an incredible deal when your a little kid. They sent me a form letter or something saying they were out of inventory or something-- can't recall. Not even sure if they sent me money back. Valuable lesson I guess.

hm

Ever wonder why....?

The time/money involved in suing the government, is definitely worth it to save that few extra bucks you will pocket from using media mail.

My point exactly.

hm

Ever wonder why....?

My point exactly.

Any plaintiff's lawyers in the house who want a shiny new class action?

hm

Ever wonder why....?

Obviously, the time and effort involved for small fries isn't worth it.

But big fries...they do it all the time, every day, on many issues. It will eventually come around.

And "the man" needs to be stuck, as often as possible, to remind him that the power rests in the hands of the people...the individual...not the bureaucracy.

^^

hm

Ever wonder why....?

My point exactly.

So, no one should ever sue the government for anything that you don't think is worth it? The principle is meaningless, unless the dollar amount justifies it?

Interesting perspective.

hm