• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to ship via Media Mail and make it a viable shipping option?

185 posts in this topic

I'm amazed people are still mailing comics media mail. I'm also surprised the post office doesn't issue a citation for sending books through media mail. It is mail fraud since you are lying to the post office.

My mother in law attempts to mail everything media mail. It had actually gotten comical and I think she finally gave it up. She kept trying to mail my wife clothing and they kept brining it back to her house with a bigger bill.

As stated before, the "there is absolutely NO inconsistency" is quite clearly not correct.

A page of material that used to advertise something, but which has since expired, isn't an ad.

An ad advertises something that can be purchased, at the price advertised (if any), NOW. As well, companies that advertise products still available for sale update and REPLACE their ads for new ones.

Therefore, if a page of printed material announces or displays something that can no longer be purchased from the one advertising, at the original price (if any), or the company still sells the product, but has updated their ads....

...then that page is NOT AN AD.

By definition of the word "advertisement."

It is REFERENCE MATERIAL.

It may have started life as an ad, but just like humans start their lives as zygotes, it does not forever remain an ad.

As stated before, the "there is absolutely NO inconsistency" is quite clearly not correct.

A page of material that used to advertise something, but which has since expired, isn't an ad.

An ad advertises something that can be purchased, at the price advertised (if any), NOW. As well, companies that advertise products still available for sale update and REPLACE their ads for new ones.

Therefore, if a page of printed material announces or displays something that can no longer be purchased from the one advertising, at the original price (if any), or the company still sells the product, but has updated their ads....

...then that page is NOT AN AD.

It is REFERENCE MATERIAL.

It may have started life as an ad, but just like humans start their lives as zygotes, it does not forever remain an ad.

I'd be fine with it if the rule didn't explicitly state that comics aren't media mail. It isn't stated it is due to the advertisements. It simply says that comics aren't media mail.

Ooops it does clearly say it is due to the advertisements. However, it does clearly say COMIC BOOKS aren't media mail.

"Media Mail packages may not contain advertising. Comic books do not meet this standard."

https://about.usps.com/notices/not121/not121_tech.htm

Where does this definition come from? It isn't accurate. A good advertisement is more than a simple promotion. It sells a brand, and generally speaking brands don't expire.

Heck this advertisement is still effective

beetle-coccinelle-volkswagen-vw-publicite-vintage-04.jpg

I think you're gonna have a tough time asking a postal worker to consistently and accurately get the dates right with ads in your comics, especially if there's more than one comic.

I think on EBAY you probably should never send media mail unless you're SURE that its ok.

For other transactions, I have both sent and received things media mail, as long as it is decided AHEAD of time who will pay the extra fee in the event of an inspection and assessment.

With that being said I have received media mail comics that have been opened before on multiple occasions. 3 times a fee has been assessed, and 2 times there was no additional postage due. I have mailed out media mail comics probably at least 5 times, and have never been assessed additional postage, and never checked at the counter.

For other transactions, I have both sent and received things media mail, as long as it is decided AHEAD of time who will pay the extra fee in the event of an inspection and assessment.

So you want to go rob a bank? I'll pay the fines if we get in trouble…

So you want to go rob a bank? I'll pay the fines if we get in trouble

More like, please drive me somewhere quickly extra fast, but I'll pay the fines if we get pulled over.

This is fun! Here's a legal definition from Black's...

What is ADVERTISEMENT?

Notice given in a manner designed to attract public attention; information communicated to the public, or to an individual concerned, by means of handbills or the newspaper. Montford v. Allen, 111 Ga. 18. 30 S. E. 305; Haffner v. Barnard, 123 Ind. 429. 24 N. E. 152; Com. v. Johnson, 3 Pa. Dist. R. 222. A sign-board, erected at a person’s place of business, giving notice that lottery tickets are for sale there, is an “advertisement,” within the meaning of a statute prohibiting the advertising of lotteries. In such connection the meaning of the word is not confined to notices printed in newspapers. Com. v. Hooper, 5 Pick. (Mass.) 42.

http://thelawdictionary.org/advertisement/

I think her impression is that people are asking for the Free priority boxes and then cutting them up for packing material.

That used to be common practice. Or I would get a priority box turned inside out. That finally quit when they figured out to print Priority on the inside and outside of the box.

I think her impression is that people are asking for the Free priority boxes and then cutting them up for packing material.

That used to be common practice. Or I would get a priority box turned inside out. That finally quit when they figured out to print Priority on the inside and outside of the box.

The amazing spider-man 2 boxes didnt have the printing on the inside.

Lets say I flipped a lot of boxes inside out...

So you want to go rob a bank? I'll pay the fines if we get in trouble

More like, please drive me somewhere quickly extra fast, but I'll pay the fines if we get pulled over.

Yea that is a better analogy. I was going for shock value…

And what exactly do you base this specious assertion on?

An ad advertises something that can be purchased, at the price advertised (if any), NOW.
Again specious. Clearly an ad is still functional, regardless of price or lack thereof, as seen in the numerous examples posted.

As well, companies that advertise products still available for sale update and REPLACE their ads for new ones.

So? This does not make the previous ads /= ads Most print ads are designed for residuals, long after new adds have replaced them

For truth in advertising this should be revised to "By RMA's definition of the word "advertisement." since his "definition" is clearly substantially different than any recognized definition.

Fixed:

Both the letter and the spirit of the DMM regulation on Media Mail is to prevent current periodicals, which are distributed differently than at a discount from regular mail, and which are paid for by advertising, from being mailed again; at a discount from regular mail .

Back issues, of course, with expired ads don't meet those qualifications.