• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Category" listed as conserved while in "graded" state

9 posts in this topic

This ever happen to anyone? While awaiting some GA books to come back, I was following along the stages, checking the invoice. When it got to the "graded" stage, nothing was listed for grade, pq, etc. But, the key comments appeared and the category was filled in as conserved.

Now the books are in the "Graded/quality control" step and there is NO info listed for them. No category, key comments, art comments.

I thought grades (which I assumed included the category) were only issued after the books went into the "shipped/safe" status....

What gives? An error? Harbinger of things to come? Both?

Anyone else ever have this experience?

Thanks so much folks.

Cheers!

I usually watch my submissions pretty carefully, and see the information flip-flop quite a bit. I've seen publication dates come and go, "no publisher listed" notations come and go... it's all fluid until QC, which is why everything goes blank during that phase. Once I had a notation go from incorrect info, then correct info, then back to the original incorrect info after QC and shipping. That one got a free reholder. My category is always filled in initially, and I've never seen that change. I'm assuming one of your books had a beneficial kind of restoration, like a tear seal, that they detected early on and set it as "Conserved," but maybe it'll get adjusted... :wishluck:

So it is - 2 GA Batman's I bought 20 years ago coming back as conserved. I guess my eye for restoration was never too good. I'm sure it's been bandied about but does "Conserved" effect valuation vs "Restored" at all or is a PLOD a PLOD a PLOD? I'm planning on selling a bunch of stuff soon...

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers...

I think the jury is still out on this one.

For quite some time collectors have sought out books with Slight P work done because they can get the book for much less then an un restored counterpart. Because the apparent grade is essentially as close an un restored condition as can be.

Ugh, this is not coming out right.

Typically Slight Plods have always sold well, depending on what book it is, and the buyers understanding/preference for what was done.

The Conso label is separating books that had beneficial, or structural work done on a minor level.

So yeah, it is a bummer you got the news "work was done", but it is good news that the work done was limited to tear seals, or reinforced centerfolds..etc..etc.

The "Conserved" label is new enough that there isn't a lot of information as to how it may affect the final price. I suspect that the more knowledgeable your customer base is, the better it will do. The masses on eBay will probably avoid it because they don't understand it, but the sales forums here will probably accept it. A local con in a fire station may not work, but a major con like Baltimore, HeroesCon, Emerald City, etc would probably be a good market.

Thanks. I figured it would be early days. I'll probably put them up here first since I agree, an educated client base is more likely to be interested. Got some other blue labels to sell too.

As a side note, having nothing to do with my books, I really hope the hobby latches on to the notion of conservation. These books are, in some cases, over 70 years old, and it's nice to think measures can be taken to keep them sound without the sky falling because of a P(B)LOD..

Thanks again guys!

Cheers.