• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardians comics question (actually requesting an opinion)...

44 posts in this topic

Not that anyone really "invests" in comics any more, but if you could only buy 1 GOTG comic as an investment (meaning to hold, enjoy for some time (measured in years) and then sell for a profit), what comic would that be (and why)?

Thanks in advance for any/all "answers"...

Marvel preview 4 : now after the movie, price is going down a little bit and we will see Star Lord in the next movies. I preffer Starlord over the Racoon .

Defenders 28 : 1st app of Starhawk , probably he will appear in the next movie

That's your mistake, Jaydog. The movies run 80% of the comics market. What MP 4 was worth a year ago is irrelevant. It's htf for a BA key. As long as GOTG is relevant I would accumulate these books if they sell off after the movie gets yanked.

If movies run 80% of the comics market now I may have to re-think my hobby choices lol. In all seriousness though while I think it's great that marvel can dust off irrelevant, little known and/or forgotten characters and feed them to a mass audience and cause people to search out their early appearances in comics, as a response to the OP's first question, there is no way I would call any of those GOTG books good "investments" unless you have a short box of them right now and are dumping them off on ebay this very minute. I am already observing a cooling in the market as the speculative hoards and bandwagon collectors are searching for the next "big thing". Inhumans anyone ?

And I know some of these GOTG books' "rarity" was the story line when the speculator fervor first began but hasn't that been more or less debunked by now? I mean as we speak there's about 30-40 copies of MP 4/7 available on eBay alone right now....

-J.

Market timing slabbed comics is an extremely risky proposition, Jaydog, but let me ask you this. Do you think a Walking Dead #1 9.8 will sell for more now or right before the 3rd or 4th episode? Same with FF 45. It will certainly sell for more in the weeks before the movie than it will now, right? There is a cyclical logic of a similar nature that can be applied to GOTG. The movie hype is dying down and , yes, you will see prices drop 30%. I don't think this is a throwaway franchise. That movie was awfully good.

Walking Dead #1 is a modern, but even still it has 11 years of good will, and continuous print. And as a weekly TV show it had a better chance of becoming more ingrained in pop culture.

FF 45 and the inhuman books are having their pre-movie hype surge now. But again, they have been moderately used throughout the MCU on a fairly consistent basis over the last 50 years, been in their own titles and do have somewhat of a cult following and built - in fan base.

All of the GOTG books, on the other hand seem to have a "thing" about them that makes them kind of "off".

Hulk 271- Not really RR's first appearance even though half the labels still say it, and even the ones with the correct labels have sellers still calling it his first appearance.

MP4/7- These books are tainted by all the shilling that happened early in their speculative cycle and they feature the first appearances of characters nobody cared about for the past 40 years. And the "Starlord" in MP 4 basically just happens to have the same name as the character in the movie.

MSH 18- This book has nothing to do with the GOTG in the movie. The only thing that people are evidently buying is the title "Guardians of the Galaxy".

TTA 13- A largely forgotten book from the SA (though still of note of course to the pre-hero Marvel collectors), where the character presented in the book is absolutely nothing like what is in the movie.

Herein lies the problem.. We have a bunch of books that were either ignored or forgotten about before the movie. The masses are not buying the books because they are beloved characters, and that's not why the speculators are selling them to them. There is no through line for the books, because the movie is a ret-con of a bunch of different characters thrown into a movie that happens to be called "Guardians of the Galaxy". This is movie book hyping taken to a whole different level, and I think that's why there is a certain amount of derision toward them from the long time collecting community. We obviously do not know what an "Inhumans" movie will look like yet, but odds are it will feature most, if not all of the well known "royal family", which makes the early FF run much easier to collect.

I'm not saying these GOTG books will go back to the dollar bin when the movie hype is gone, but they will not be considered "keys" by any stretch either. Expect a 40-60% price correction until the sequel. Then another bump, and then another correction. Market fundamentals will eventually and inevitably dilute the movie bump. My 2c

-J.

Sounds like we agree on the premise. Buy MP 4 on the pullback. I don't think it drops 50%. You'll see bottom feeders move in if it drops 25-30%. The days of a 9.2 fetching <$500 are over.

http://comics.ha.com/itm/magazines/science-fiction/marvel-preview-4-star-lord-marvel-1976-cgc-nm-96-white-pages/a/121435-15569.s

Here's your FMV for a 9.6 at the height of the movie bubble hype from a (most very likely) non-shilled auction. About $1100, give or take. Not the "$2500" you see on ebay.

Make your own presumptions and estimations for each descending grade value, and factor in a -30% correction give or take in the next 6-12 months as the next wave of movie announcements hit and the masses move on.

-J.

I'd still like a TTA 13 as a pre hero collector. But as far as the guardians book that I would buy its strange tales 178-181 180 with starlin. Warlock. Gamora, pip and the crew

Loved them when they were cheap and still like em now.

So you'd take ASM 121-122 over Marvel Preview 4 & 7? Interesting.

Every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I have a Marvel Preview 4, and I'd trade it straight up for an ASM #121.

I agree that's a no brainer. ASM 121-122 are decades-established history making keys.

MP 4/7 and their GOTG related ilk are speculator/bandwagon movie books that have only been of interest to anybody for the last 9-12 months or so based on nothing more than the movie.

-J.

And I think you are severely underestimating the impact of this movie. These characters have already invaded the pop culture in a way that the vast majority of "established" BA characters have not, and they are not going away.

Jonah Hex or even Ghost Rider? They didn't catch on(well written stories in comics, games, film or television could change this someday in the far flung future), but the Guardians are Ghostbusters 2014.

I know non-nerds who went back to see this thing three times on opening weekend(cuz anecdotal evidence is the best kind of evidence), it's going to finish as the 3rd most successful Marvel movie so far(trailing only the two billion dollar plus earners, Avengers and Iron Man 3) and it's still on top of the box office five weekends later. Even the freakin' soundtrack became the number one album on the Billboard 200.

Movie hype comes and goes, and everyone seems to agree that it's an insidious evil, but Batman 89, Superman: The Movie, Raimi Spidey, Bixby Hulk, Downey Iron, and many others became more than simply hype. Pop culture crossover is not a bad thing, and you can no longer fit Groot and Rocket back in the bottle at this point; they belong to the world now.

Anyway, I agree with blazin' on this one. This sort of success translates to sustained collectability, and if you like these characters anyway, you really can't go wrong. I don't think they are the best investment out there at the moment, but these books will be worth more in a few years than they are now.

I agree that's a no brainer. ASM 121-122 are decades-established history making keys.

MP 4/7 and their GOTG related ilk are speculator/bandwagon movie books that have only been of interest to anybody for the last 9-12 months or so based on nothing more than the movie.

-J.

I see 5 books in your sig line that are movie hype books?

-J.

And I think you are severely underestimating the impact of this movie. These characters have already invaded the pop culture in a way that the vast majority of "established" BA characters have not, and they are not going away.

Jonah Hex or even Ghost Rider? They didn't catch on(well written stories in comics, games, film or television could change this someday in the far flung future), but the Guardians are Ghostbusters 2014.

I know non-nerds who went back to see this thing three times on opening weekend(cuz anecdotal evidence is the best kind of evidence), it's going to finish as the 3rd most successful Marvel movie so far(trailing only the two billion dollar plus earners, Avengers and Iron Man 3) and it's still on top of the box office five weekends later. Even the freakin' soundtrack became the number one album on the Billboard 200.

Movie hype comes and goes, and everyone seems to agree that it's an insidious evil, but Batman 89, Superman: The Movie, Raimi Spidey, Bixby Hulk, Downey Iron, and many others became more than simply hype. Pop culture crossover is not a bad thing, and you can no longer fit Groot and Rocket back in the bottle at this point; they belong to the world now.

Anyway, I agree with blazin' on this one. This sort of success translates to sustained collectability, and if you like these characters anyway, you really can't go wrong. I don't think they are the best investment out there at the moment, but these books will be worth more in a few years than they are now.

Your enthusiasm for the books is noted. However the height of movie hype is not the time to make such bold proclamations

If what you say still holds true in 6-12 months, or better yet, 5-10 years, then we can put it past mere movie hype. The Guardians Of the Galaxy have never been in the league of any of the books that you have mentioned, and they still aren't, even with the success of this one movie. A tiny fraction of the people who see the movie will even care what comic books these characters came from, and the vast majority of people who collect comic books, never cared about any of these characters before the movie. It will take much more than a movie to undo 40 years of actual collector apathy.

So let the books get past the speculator/movie hype phase, and see where things are when the dust settles. But again, as "investments", none of the books are at this time. Never buy at the peak of a bubble.

-J.

-J.

Yup! Like to keep the sig line trendy. (thumbs u

-J.

-J.

Yup! Like to keep the sig line trendy. (thumbs u

-J.

lol..... :D

Those are greats books for any collection IMO.

-J.

Your enthusiasm for the books is noted. However the height of movie hype is not the time to make such bold proclamations

If what you say still holds true in 6-12 months, or better yet, 5-10 years, then we can put it past mere movie hype. The Guardians Of the Galaxy have never been in the league of any of the books that you have mentioned, and they still aren't, even with the success of this one movie. A tiny fraction of the people who see the movie will even care what comic books these characters came from, and the vast majority of people who collect comic books, never cared about any of these characters before the movie. It will take much more than a movie to undo 40 years of actual collector apathy.

So let the books get past the speculator/movie hype phase, and see where things are when the dust settles. But again, as "investments", none of the books are at this time. Never buy at the peak of a bubble.

-J.

I'm certainly hoping for a significant enough post movie lull to allow me to save some cash when I buy another MP4. The family made a major purchase a few months ago, and somehow I always get talked into sacrificing a few comics for the greater good.

I've been wrong before, but I'll be interested to see how this all plays out leading up to the sequel and beyond. I'll definitely be buying 4 and 7 again whether they take a hit in the next few months or not though. Just far too much confidence that these characters are here to stay.

How many years until we are debating the respective values of MP7 and Cerebus #1? :wink:

-J.

-J.

I'm certainly hoping for a significant enough post movie lull to allow me to save some cash when I buy another MP4. The family made a major purchase a few months ago, and somehow I always get talked into sacrificing a few comics for the greater good.

I've been wrong before, but I'll be interested to see how this all plays out leading up to the sequel and beyond. I'll definitely be buying 4 and 7 again whether they take a hit in the next few months or not though. Just far too much confidence that these characters are here to stay.

How many years until we are debating the respective values of MP7 and Cerebus #1? :wink:

:insane:

-J.

GotG has the earmarks of a successful franchise. This doesn't look like a one-hit wonder. Some were shaking their heads when they made the announcement. Not so many now. While I don't think some of the high prices will be sustained, if you catch some of these on the fall, you'll do okay over the long run.

Many years ago I was downsizing collection (too many boxes in the closet).

I sold everything that I didn't want on ebay. I started everything at .99.

The ONLY things that wouldn't sell were my Marvel mags, even at $.99.

So I took a box of them over to Goodwill. I freaking gave my MP4 to Goodwill! :facepalm:

Many years ago I was downsizing collection (too many boxes in the closet).

I sold everything that I didn't want on ebay. I started everything at .99.

The ONLY things that wouldn't sell were my Marvel mags, even at $.99.

So I took a box of them over to Goodwill. I freaking gave my MP4 to Goodwill! :facepalm:

Wish i have a time machine and a few dollars , i would travel one or two days at a week another day to stock and label all the stuff and another to list everything at ebay .

Guardians needs to catch on with International audiences for the comics to really take off and hold their value.

I don't think Guardians will take off with the International comic book community until Warlock is introduced in GotG2.

Americans seemed to love Guardians, everyone else, not so much..

Guardians needs to catch on with International audiences for the comics to really take off and hold their value.

I don't think Guardians will take off with the International comic book community until Warlock is introduced in GotG2.

Americans seemed to love Guardians, everyone else, not so much..

:screwy:

hasn't even opened in China, Japan & Italy

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=marvel2014a.htm