• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where Have Your Comics Been?

44 posts in this topic

About 2 years ago, ciorac posted a photo of a comic in Singapore or somewhere back east. It gave me the idea to combine my two hobbies of photographing in National Parks and comic collecting.

I'd love to see other boardies similar "travel pics" if they have them or when they get them. The comics I use are raw because I like to read them on my trips but slabs are more than welcome here.

Since the idea came from ciorac, this first one will be in his honor (sorry no Batman #1).

Joshua Tree NP and D ick Tracy #68.

1JoshuaTreeNPDickTracy68_zpsd8d6e849.jpg

This one drove me nuts. It seemed like everywhere I positioned the comic it had some horrible glare on the mylar. I finally found a good position for the book but I blew the photo by not focusing correctly. doh!

Canyonlands NP and C-M-O #2.

1CanyonlandsNPCMO2_zps1a5366d9.jpg

This was kind of the theme of the late "Cap 'N' Mandi" exercise, i.e. a CGC graded Kamandi book was fired off to all points of the globe, photographed and the packaging noted with the Boardie recipients name, before on-fowarding.

A casualty of the Great Red Hook Banning.

Anyway, you mentioned Ciorac. Here he is in Sydney last October, with friends:

100_15991016x762_zpsaab7738e.jpg

So if I find a rare GA comic while I'm hiking at the bottom of the Grand Canyon I will know where it came from.

I haven't lost one to the wind yet. I did see someone drop a $1,500 lens down the side of a cliff at Arches NP though.

This was kind of the theme of the late "Cap 'N' Mandi" exercise, i.e. a CGC graded Kamandi book was fired off to all points of the globe, photographed and the packaging noted with the Boardie recipients name, before on-fowarding.

A casualty of the Great Red Hook Banning.

Anyway, you mentioned Ciorac. Here he is in Sydney last October, with friends:

100_15991016x762_zpsaab7738e.jpg

With the way he's been buying lately, it'll be harder and harder for him to decide what books to bring on his world travels.

Red Hook sounds familiar but maybe I'm thinking of Red Rocks.

Also, Foxtrot70, I did see his pics from Germany. Cool stuff.

A beautiful scene and a fascinating endeavor. Do you carry a bunch of comics with you all the time or do you have a particular comic in mind for a specific spot?

Thanks. Nothing that thought out. I'll bring a few with me on a trip to read at the hotel or tent or hammock if I'm camping.

Once a trip I'll just randomly decide to bring one on a hike and I'll usually find a spot that works out after I'm done photographing what I really came for.

I just put it in my photo backpack between some heavy cardboard.

Love it Damon! I'm glad I inspired you to take comics with you on your journeys. I really enjoy doing it, and they keep me company on some of my longer trips

Germany

00F35FE0-7C8F-48BE-A7D1-159CB619E41E_zpsmrppu1w6.jpg

This is a great photo and that's some high end company you keep. That book would never see the inside of a comic box if it was mine.

This one looks very appropriate – it has a "Wall of Voodoo" feeling to it! :D

I probably haven't thought of them since Mexican Radio was on MTV when I was a 12 year old kid.

I googled the album cover though and you're right (assuming that's the Wall of Voodoo you're talking about).