• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer changing the price

671 posts in this topic

yep in the 70's and 80's F- was NM-standard practice

but even today a dealer will say something is G+ but once it hits their wall it magically becomes a VF

Does the Royal Canadian Navy even OWN a carrier...?

We can only wish, our dumbed down population would revolt if we spent the amount of money it would cost to build one on something military related.

They are content instead to just trash talk the US for spending too much on its military while getting all of the benefits of being next to it for free.

Is this where we go to belly ache?

lol Just had to chuckle at that.

We're a step away from henny-clucking :banana:

:roflmao: I say F that dealer,he lost a sale.Bye! :hi: Who the hell needs twenty pages of belly ache,although it does make for some entertaining reading.

I'm just back here to see if anyone contacted this jerk. If I was at the expo I would have asked him about it. These threads tend to derail and veer off on tangents.

Anyone talk to these guys? Was there a response or have we been beating this thing into the ground for 25+pages with no actual developments.

I find it hard to believe that no one at the very least knew someone at the Expo and that no one bothered bringing this up to the dealer.

:roflmao: I say F that dealer,he lost a sale.Bye! :hi: Who the hell needs twenty pages of belly ache,although it does make for some entertaining reading.

I'm just back here to see if anyone contacted this jerk. If I was at the expo I would have asked him about it. These thread tend to derail and veer off on tangents.

Anyone talk to these guys? Was there a response or have we been beating thins thing into the ground for 25+pages with no actual developments.

I find it hard to believe that none at the very least knew someone at the the Expo and that no one bothered bringing this up to the dealer.

I didn't make it back to the show this weekend. I'll be seeing them in Montreal next weekend and I'll try to remember mentioning something.

I'm just back here to see if anyone contacted this jerk. If I was at the expo I would have asked him about it. These thread tend to derail and veer off on tangents.

Anyone talk to these guys? Was there a response or have we been beating thins thing into the ground for 25+pages with no actual developments.

I find it hard to believe that none at the very least knew someone at the the Expo and that no one bothered bringing this up to the dealer.

I didn't make it back to the show this weekend. I'll be seeing them in Montreal next weekend and I'll try to remember mentioning something.

Since you had a temporary memory loss and had experienced shaken up in you body since a great thunderstorm in Chicago created by GREAT Thor? :grin:

Since you had a temporary memory loss and had experienced shaken up in you body since a great thunderstorm in Chicago created by GREAT Thor? :grin:

They're going to be running the show and won't be tied to a table so I expect them to be extremely busy. Don't know if I'll even see them. (thumbs u

Certainly the business practice is cheeky but

playing devil's advocate here.

It's acceptable to scoop the book from under the dealer when it was priced well below

fair market value?

Yes. It is not the buyer's responsibility to teach the seller what the market is.

If you were happy to sell the book for $300 two weeks ago, why not be happy to sell it for that today?

...and a related side note...why is it that prices never come DOWN as quickly as they go UP?

:ohnoez:

To piggyback RMA's point, if the buyer was willing to pay $800 and the dealer researched the book after a negotation and finds out the book is really worth $300. Will he cancel the transaction and say "Sorry, I'd love to sell it to you but you paying too much?"

hm

It's acceptable to scoop the book from under the dealer when it was priced well below

fair market value?

Yes. It is not the buyer's responsibility to teach the seller what the market is.

If you were happy to sell the book for $300 two weeks ago, why not be happy to sell it for that today?

...and a related side note...why is it that prices never come DOWN as quickly as they go UP?

To piggyback RMA's point, if the buyer was willing to pay $800 and the dealer researched the book after a negotation and finds out the book is really worth $300. Will he cancel the transaction and say "Sorry, I'd love to sell it to you but you paying too much?"

hm

well, it doesn't sound like the dealer accepted the deal if he is still researching

i think one thing that is irritating people here is that the book was probably worth no more than $300 anyway, the OP wasn't really scooping anything at the $300 price.

yeah, it does seem that there is a double standard in that there is less outrage at a buyer at a show getting second thoughts and walking away.. of course, if you do that here you'll be crucified! (not that i ever have...here)

fair market value?

hm

well, it doesn't sound like the dealer accepted the deal if he is still researching

i think one thing that is irritating people here is that the book was probably worth no more than $300 anyway, the OP wasn't really scooping anything at the $300 price.

yeah, it does seem that there is a double standard in that there is less outrage at a buyer at a show getting second thoughts and walking away.. of course, if you do that here you'll be crucified! (not that i ever have...here)

i think the outrage is that a deal was reached then reneged on. The prices are not the key issue. Also, there is MORE outrage towards a dealer because they are allegedly professionals, and the perception of their customer service has a direct impact on their business, so it unfathomable for people here to shatter their customer service perception in this manner.

He broke a contract then had a nitwit look up price based on asking price ebay and raised the price to 2.5 what it's worth.

All around chump.

fair market value?

hm

i think the outrage is that a deal was reached then reneged on. The prices are not the key issue. Also, there is MORE outrage towards a dealer because they are allegedly professionals, and the perception of their customer service has a direct impact on their business, so it unfathomable for people here to shatter their customer service perception in this manner.

$300 to $800 is what jumped out at me the most, it isn't like a "that book is no longer for sale, sorry" situation. sure, he broke the deal (and I'd say it was even worse because it wasn't some misinformed underling agreeing to something he wasn't authorized to, but it was the frigging sticker price!!!), but if the OP had done that (as a "non-professional") nobody would be up in arms.

The book had a price tag, and was on display in a booth at a comic convention. The OP was haggling for a deal, then gave up and agreed to just buy it at the listed price.

The dealer blocked his own listed price from going through, after using the customer's interest in buying the book at his listed price, as a reason to hop on ebay and look at completed sales.

He then raised the price to 267% of it's previous price

Not much can really be said in defense of such a thing. Guys do it in their online shops and stores, which is already terrible, but at least something can be said about it. But, the book was chosen to be brought to the con, priced, and put on display.....not like it was in some warehouse or a long box in the back of the store.

Without giving any of the specifics out...

Recently at a New York show a very well known national dealer had a raw Hulk 1. He quoted a price to my friend before showing him the book and said no discount.

He was fairly emphatic and said if you don't buy it at this price, I will slab it, but if you pay full price I'll sell it.

My friend looked at the book and asked what my opinion was. I said I'd buy it and it looked nice. My friend said, I'll take it at full price.

The dealer pulled the book back and said, no I can't sell it to you, I have to CGC it.

That to me is a no-no.

Recently at a New York show a very well known national dealer had a raw Hulk 1. He quoted a price to my friend before showing him the book and said no discount.

He was fairly emphatic and said if you don't buy it at this price, I will slab it, but if you pay full price I'll sell it.

My friend looked at the book and asked what my opinion was. I said I'd buy it and it looked nice. My friend said, I'll take it at full price.

The dealer pulled the book back and said, no I can't sell it to you, I have to CGC it.

That to me is a no-no.

It happens a lot. (thumbs u

That to me is a no-no.

It happens a lot. (thumbs u

I don't have a problem if they say I'm not sure if I'm going to sell it, but you can't price it and then decide you aren't selling it.