• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer changing the price

671 posts in this topic

Yesterday I went to fan expo, had my eye on a nice book, I negotiated with one of the workers and finally decided I would be willing to pay full price as it was becoming a hassle. We cut a deal for 300 dollars, as I am ready to pay I am told wait hold on. After I had made a deal one of the other members behind the booth was looking up all ebay prices, I was not entirely sure what he was doing at first until I was told after I had made a deal that the price was no longer 300 instead it is now 800. Has anyone else experienced this?

Just wanted to post this to say that I'm not choosing sides but I did get a phone call from Oscar tonight.

He was told about the discussion in this thread by someone and he called me because he wanted to share his side of the story. Since he doesn't have an account here he wanted me to write that he feels the way the first post explains the account of the transaction is not how he remembers it happening.

Oscar basically explained that initially there was no actual deal in place as there was a cash/trade negotiation going on and neither side had committed to the trade.

He did decide not to sell the book to the OP after the cash/trade negotiation fell through.

Anyhow, if anyone has any more questions about the way it went down they can talk to the OP and/or Oscar about it, which I generally believe is the best way to solve a problem - by going to the source.

That's it from me. :foryou:

Some dealers I know have what they call WallCandy....books to draw people in to look that are not for sale.

A good friend has a Whiz #2 that he has no intention of selling,he just puts it up so people will stop and look,talk,get acquainted.No price tag on it though.

That makes sense to me. No price tag and be up front if someone asks.

I've had plenty of books on my display that were not for sale and just for show. I'd often bring personal books and display them at shows but I was open about them not being for sale.

When people asked why I brought them I just said "because I want to share them". It's a comic show and sometimes it's nice to just share books you don't often see.

I agree that it's all in how you present the situation. Be upfront and follow through.

A couple of times I got asked if i had a price I would accept on the 'not for sale' books. I'd throw out a number and I'd definitely follow through if someone anted up. Thankfully, nobody ever did!

Exactly.Some of the books these folks display are super rare,almost one of a kind items.Canadian Whites,Nelvanas signed by artist,ect.I really appreciate that they are there to share,and of course,most everything has a price...just not what most would pay,or enough to scare people away.I have gotten to see some incredibly rare and cool items of Canadian Comic book history this way,made lifelong friends(and they lifelong customer) and hey,getting to hold and flip through a nice Whiz Comics#2(#1) after some time getting to know these folks was pretty darn awesome.

Hi everyone

This is Oscar and Alex with Major Comics.

I think its pretty uncool to post lies on the message board.

The story is quite different then what Venom posted.

This is how it went down, the book in question was FF 45

the book was priced at 300$.

I ( Oscar ) was not at the booth, when Venom made it to our booth and asked Alex to see the book. He asked for a discount, which Alex replied the book is fairly priced..

He then offered One new Mutants 98 in VF/nm and 50$ in trade.

Alex refused the offer.

At this point I was back at the booth, Alex asked me if I would do the trade, he made me aware that he had said No.Venom was still outside the booth waiting.

I decided to do a research on the New Mutants 98 and Fantastic Four 45 on Gpanalysis.

I found out the FF had a higher value then priced , so we refused the offer.

Venom left the booth, we put the book aside and repriced it.

a Few moments later Venom came back and offered 300$ for the copy, which we said we no longer wish to sell it for that price.

Thats how the whole story unfolded.

Helps to post all the information

What was the grade of the FF #45 that you originally had priced at $300?

Because if you repriced it to $800 based on GPA you would have assumed it was a VF since the last GPA 6.0 sold for $275.

If I were to do a buyers rating/ranking I would note that you are intimidating to sellers.

If you were nicer I'm sure he would have sold you the book.

I'm not sure attitude would have anything to do with it-he seems to feel the book is worth 800

Hi everyone

This is Oscar and Alex with Major Comics.

I think its pretty uncool to post lies on the message board.

The story is quite different then what Venom posted.

This is how it went down, the book in question was FF 45

the book was priced at 300$.

I ( Oscar ) was not at the booth, when Venom made it to our booth and asked Alex to see the book. He asked for a discount, which Alex replied the book is fairly priced..

He then offered One new Mutants 98 in VF/nm and 50$ in trade.

Alex refused the offer.

At this point I was back at the booth, Alex asked me if I would do the trade, he made me aware that he had said No.Venom was still outside the booth waiting.

I decided to do a research on the New Mutants 98 and Fantastic Four 45 on Gpanalysis.

I found out the FF had a higher value then priced , so we refused the offer.

Venom left the booth, we put the book aside and repriced it.

a Few moments later Venom came back and offered 300$ for the copy, which we said we no longer wish to sell it for that price.

Thats how the whole story unfolded.

When Venom came back to buy it for the listed 300.did you reprice it at 800? Or did you just not want to sell the book at all?