• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer changing the price

671 posts in this topic

When both parties don't come to an agreement on a trade or sale , whoever owns the book can do as he wishes with the book during or after the show.

He can raise or lower the price or not put the book for sale anymore if he wishes.

In this case,if the buyer had offered full sticker or offered 10% off sticker, he would have left with the book.Instead he made offers and trades we refused.

At this point, I don't feel we had any obligations toward the buyer.

So if you have a book that I want at NYCC and quote me a price, and I agree, but then throw it out there if you can do any better if I pay in cash, or if you would take a partial trade, am I to expect that you reserve the option, upon my asking that question to raise the price of the book?

When both parties don't come to an agreement on a trade or sale , whoever owns the book can do as he wishes with the book during or after the show.

He can raise or lower the price or not put the book for sale anymore if he wishes.

In this case,if the buyer had offered full sticker or offered 10% off sticker, he would have left with the book.Instead he made offers and trades we refused.

At this point, I don't feel we had any obligations toward the buyer.

Yes you can. You also don't have to go to the show and you don't have to sell anything when you're there either. However, I don't think it's wise to bump a price like that during or just after a potential deal from a buyer's perspective.

I don't know about anyone else, but when I look at a raw book, I look at the grade and price tag on it to see if it's fair, and I take a gamble that it's not restored if I buy it. I passed over a lot of nice books at fan expo because I thought the item was priced higher than the copy in front of me.

When I read Venom's Original post, One dealer immediately came to mind.

Comicage or Comic Cage or something from Montreal (I think).

They did the same thing to another boardie in Vancouver at the Fan Expo.

He found a copy of Epic Illustrated #3 when it was Hot, and paid $10 for it.

The employee actually took his money. At that point, the transaction is complete. Right?

Wrong.

The woman who is one of the co-owners comes over, says that the book is hot on Ebay, and snatches the book out of Beamer's hands. She says the price is now $100.

I was astounded when he came and told us the story. That booth lost about a dozen serious buyers just from him telling the rest of us about the incident.

From what I gather of this, the crux of the variation between the two stories is this:

1) Did Venom "walk away" - either by physically walking away from the booth, or by by breaking off discourse over the purchase of the FF #45 but continued to browse the booth looking at other items.

Did Venom actually "walk away" either literally or figuratively?

2) Did Major Comics re-price the book during the interim when Venom "walked away" (if that happened) or did they re-price it when discourse over the FF #45 resumed and Venom was attempting to pay/trade for the book?

When exactly was the book re-priced?

lol I stopped reading this thread over the weekend because it didn't look like it was going anywhere. I guess I was wrong. :popcorn:

The employee actually took his money. At that point, the transaction is complete. Right?

Wrong.

The woman who is one of the co-owners comes over, says that the book is hot on Ebay, and snatches the book out of Beamer's hands. She says the price is now $100.

I was astounded when he came and told us the story. That booth lost about a dozen serious buyers just from him telling the rest of us about the incident.

:o

:popcorn:

Let's say an internet seller has an item listed on their website... you buy it at their full asking price... and it comes up not for sale for some reason or the other... then a short time later... that same item is relisted at a higher price.

Is that fair? Right or wrong? Is it seller privilege? Was it the wrong price?

Did you just alert the seller to a deal that he, as the seller of his goods, should have noticed?

I've seen this happen MANY times on both internet websites and at shows.

Heck I've had a dealer literally walk me to his $5 boxes and explain the fantastic deals to be had if I just look through them... and after looking and finding some truly sweet deals... have him say "oh those must have been put in the wrong box".

I wouldn't do it and I don't like it, but this happens all the time... and like it or not... it's the sellers prerogative.

that is the crux for sure. If Venom tried to haggle, was turned down, agreed to just pay the list price....AND while waiting to pay, had the seller look it up and reprice it....

that's borderline criminal behaviour, certainly unethical

that is the crux for sure. If Venom tried to haggle, was turned down, agreed to just pay the list price....AND while waiting to pay, had the seller look it up and reprice it....

that's borderline criminal behaviour, certainly unethical

It's actually illegal in the UK.

If a sale is contracted (price/terms of deal agreed), the retailer is obliged to sell on those terms.

And it's unethical anywhere.

The booth is managed by 2 dealers, Dealer A and Dealer B

This is how it went down, the book in question was FF 45

the book was priced at 300$.

Dealer A was not at the booth, when Venom ( buyer) made it to our booth and asked Dealer B to see the book. He asked for a discount, which Dealer B replied the book is fairly priced..

He then offered One new Mutants 98 in VF/nm and 50$ in trade.

Dealer B refused the offer.

At this point Dealer A was back at the booth, Dealer B asked if Dealer A would do the trade, he made me aware that he had said No.

Venom( the buyer) was still outside the booth waiting.

Dealer A decided to do a research on the New Mutants 98 and Fantastic Four 45 on Gpanalysis.

Dealer A found out the FF had a higher value then priced , so he refused the offer.

Venom left the booth, we put the book aside and repriced it.

a Few moments later Venom came back and offered 300$ for the copy, which we said we no longer wish to sell it for that price.

Thats how the whole story unfolded.

At this point Dealer A was back at the booth, Dealer B asked if Dealer A would do the trade, he made me aware that he had said No.

Dealer A decided to do a research on the New Mutants 98 and Fantastic Four 45 on Gpanalysis.

Dealer A found out the FF had a higher value then priced , so he refused the offer.

a Few moments later Venom came back and offered 300$ for the copy, which we said we no longer wish to sell it for that price.

So while the physical act of re-pricing the book didn't take place until Venom walked away, the decision to re-price the book was made while Venom was still in the midst of negotiating with cash/trade in hand.

So while the physical act of re-pricing the book didn't take place until Venom walked away, the decision to re-price the book was made while Venom was still in the midst of negotiating with cash/trade in hand.

I think the key is if any offers were accepted by any party.

The key is if both parties agree. Otherwise it's not binding.

If the buyer walked away without completing the deal and later came back, is he still entitled to the original price? It's happened to me before and while I may get mad, I can only blame myself for not pulling the trigger when I had the opportunity. Prices change all the time. Now if I negotiate a price and they commit to it, an offer has been accepted and it's binding. But if I walk away without completing the deal, does the price have to remain the same? Prices are not subject to change?

I don't think we'll ever know the complete story of what really happened:

1) If OP's story is correct, Major Comics is in the wrong and deserves a bad rep and lost business.

2) if Major Comic's version of events is true, OP screwed himself out of a deal and should have never started this thread.

There have been other concerns raised about the practices of Major Comics in this thread that give me reason to lean toward OP's version of events.

Let's blame it all on misunderstanding as a result of French/English translation and move on with our lives...

Wrong.

That sounds like theft, no?

Money talks and I see this thread as never being started had a bit of sense had been played out. I've sold many books in conventions before the advent of cell phones - what a luxury advantage of today cell phones and eBay both wins and losses - it's a business behind the booth.

In shows wall books would change prices on the hottest commodities as a "buyer" would walk back to his own booth and "jack the price" and become his new wall book.

Possession is 9/10's the law and what business sense does it make to 'give' a book away?

Ever had a customer say "Oh I decided NOT to buy this I found a better deal"?

(THE book that every customer and dealer is looking for?)

I've also had my helper in the booth sell under priced books while browsing other spaces - it happens.

I try to not look a "gift horse" in the mouth. We win some we lose some, right?

Money talks and I see this thread as never being started had a bit of sense had been played out. I've sold many books in conventions before the advent of cell phones - what a luxury advantage of today cell phones and eBay both wins and losses - it's a business behind the booth.

In shows wall books would change prices on the hottest commodities as a "buyer" would walk back to his own booth and "jack the price" and become his new wall book.

Possession is 9/10's the law and what business sense does it make to 'give' a book away?

Ever had a customer say "Oh I decided NOT to buy this I found a better deal"?

(THE book that every customer and dealer is looking for?)

I've also had my helper in the booth sell under priced books while browsing other spaces - it happens.

I try to not look a "gift horse" in the mouth. We win some we lose some, right?

none of what you say is the same scenario as changing the price at the cash register, from a book you already put a price sticker on. Either it was changed during some interim time, which no one denies their right to do so (still sleazy to use your customers to do your job for you), or it was done while attempting to pay the listed price which they certainly do not have a right to do.

I

The key is if both parties agree. Otherwise it's not binding.

If the buyer walked away without completing the deal and later came back, is he still entitled to the original price? It's happened to me before and while I may get mad, I can only blame myself for not pulling the trigger when I had the opportunity. Prices change all the time. Now if I negotiate a price and they commit to it, an offer has been accepted and it's binding. But if I walk away without completing the deal, does the price have to remain the same? Prices are not subject to change?

right the OP makes it sound like "Ok you refused my trade offer, cool, I'll pay the $300 hundred sticker". The question is whether that offer was accepted by the dealer. Like if the dealer was "sounds good, let me go get it" THEN CHANGED the price, then we've got a bad dealer.

IF the book was in the back at the time, and no one accepted the offer to buy at the sticker price, then we've got a deal that just happened to not reach completion, and a bit of an unlucky buyer.