• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer changing the price

671 posts in this topic

The question is whether that offer was accepted by the dealer.

Paying someone's sticker price isnt making a deal, or making an offer...it's buying something.

Is it? If the seller refuses payment? Has money actually changed hands? Is it now in your possession?

That's certainly not the way to do business, but is it binding?

Money talks and I see this thread as never being started had a bit of sense had been played out. I've sold many books in conventions before the advent of cell phones - what a luxury advantage of today cell phones and eBay both wins and losses - it's a business behind the booth.

In shows wall books would change prices on the hottest commodities as a "buyer" would walk back to his own booth and "jack the price" and become his new wall book.

Possession is 9/10's the law and what business sense does it make to 'give' a book away?

Ever had a customer say "Oh I decided NOT to buy this I found a better deal"?

(THE book that every customer and dealer is looking for?)

I've also had my helper in the booth sell under priced books while browsing other spaces - it happens.

I try to not look a "gift horse" in the mouth. We win some we lose some, right?

:popcorn:

none of what you say is the same scenario as changing the price at the cash register, from a book you already put a price sticker on. Either it was changed during some interim time, which no one denies their right to do so (still sleazy to use your customers to do your job for you), or it was done while attempting to pay the listed price which they certainly do not have a right to do.

So I take it they're both boardies, I wonder why thy're both not coming to the table and discussing it - if not for clarification but for the integrity of the CSC boards.

A bit of consumé/clarification from the parties involved would save face as some direct statements could be construed as a bit slanderous.

So I take it they're both boardies, I wonder why thy're both not coming to the table and discussing it - if not for clarification but for the integrity of the CSC boards.

A bit of consumé/clarification from the parties involved would save face as some direct statements could be construed as a bit slanderous.

Even if they are not boardies, they could have amicably discussed it in person and then posted the entire conversation here.

That really is the most effective way way to solve a problem.

You can think/feel about the 'good book' any way you like but the rules of engagement for solving problems that it puts forth is timeless.

Talk to the offending party one on one.

If unresolved bring a mediator or two.

If still unresolved, then take it to the community as a last resort.

Even if they are not boardies, they could have amicably discussed it in person and then posted the entire conversation here.

That really is the most effective way way to solve a problem.

You can think/feel about the 'good book' any way you like but the rules of engagement for solving problems that it puts forth is timeless.

Talk to the offending party one on one.

If unresolved bring a mediator or two.

If still unresolved, then take it to the community as a last resort.

(thumbs u

precisely

Paying someone's sticker price isnt making a deal, or making an offer...it's buying something.

Is it? If the seller refuses payment? Has money actually changed hands? Is it now in your possession?

Well the seller is claiming that they took the book to the back to look up the price and check out how the deal was working. IF the seller came back, refuses the deal, and the book is STILL IN THE BACK, then its not necessarily for sale at that price anymore. IF the seller BROUGHT THE BOOK BACK, with a $300 sticker price still on it, and the buyer said 'ok I'll buy it at $300', then for sure a deal should have been made.

Well the seller is claiming that they took the book to the back to look up the price and check out how the deal was working. IF the seller came back, refuses the deal, and the book is STILL IN THE BACK, then its not necessarily for sale at that price anymore. IF the seller BROUGHT THE BOOK BACK, with a $300 sticker price still on it, and the buyer said 'ok I'll buy it at $300', then for sure a deal should have been made.

A deal is not made if the dealer hasn't accepted payment. If after you protest that the sticker price is a certain amount, what if he just peels off the sticker in front of you?

I see old stickers on comics all the time. Doesn't mean they sell for that price. I even see comics for sale here that have old stickers on the bag. Does that mean they have to sell at that price? If I see a comic with an old $1.00 sticker, but it's in a $10.00 box, should I expect to pay $1.00? Sticker price does not always mean selling price. While it is in the seller's possession, he can ask for any price he wants, regardless of a sticker stuck on a bag. Of course, he should take off the old sticker, but just because a book has an old sticker doesn't mean a seller is totally committed to selling a comic book at that price.

If a price has changed, the sticker really doesn't make any difference to seller. He's going ask for his current price. A sticker is not an ironclad offer. If it was, many sellers would not bother to put stickers on their books.

Someone stated that there were two copies, in two different grades, of the same book, with the $300 price tag switching from the higher grade copy to the lower grade copy at one point during the dealer's deliberations. That data point seems to be getting glossed over.

At this point Dealer A was back at the booth, Dealer B asked if Dealer A would do the trade, he made me aware that he had said No.

Venom( the buyer) was still outside the booth waiting.

Dealer A decided to do a research on the New Mutants 98 and Fantastic Four 45 on Gpanalysis.

Dealer A found out the FF had a higher value then priced , so he refused the offer.

Venom left the booth, we put the book aside and repriced it.

a Few moments later Venom came back and offered 300$ for the copy, which we said we no longer wish to sell it for that price.

So while the physical act of re-pricing the book didn't take place until Venom walked away, the decision to re-price the book was made while Venom was still in the midst of negotiating with cash/trade in hand.

I wonder what happened between the refusal of the offer and when/if Venom walked away. Did the dealer come back and say, "We can't do that deal," or did they not give Venom the chance to purchase at the asking price?

The fact if an actual agreement existed is moot. Venom offered to pay the sticker price. The sticker which the dealer put on the book, it's different if someone else switched price tags. The dealer had it priced, Venom agreed to buy it for sticker price and the dealer then said no, it's $800 now. That's shady and bad business practice regardless of any "official" agreement. The price was raised over a matter of what, minutes?

If the dealer went home and repriced it for the next day, even that wouldn't be bad in my opinion, disappointing maybe but certainly not something to a warrant this thread.

I still think the seller is a jerk, I will go out of my way to not spend my money there, and I will also attempt to discourage others to purchase from there.

Also just to clarify, in my mind, the second Venom expresses interest in buying the book, I consider that a live offer to which point if the seller had morals and wasn't a complete jerk, he should have honored his sticker price.

A deal is not made if the dealer hasn't accepted payment. If after you protest that the sticker price is a certain amount, what if he just peels off the sticker in front of you?

I see old stickers on comics all the time. Doesn't mean they sell for that price. I even see comics for sale here that have old stickers on the bag. Does that mean they have to sell at that price? If I see a comic with an old $1.00 sticker, but it's in a $10.00 box, should I expect to pay $1.00? Sticker price does not always mean selling price. While it is in the seller's possession, he can ask for any price he wants, regardless of a sticker stuck on a bag. Of course, he should take off the old sticker, but just because a book has an old sticker doesn't mean a seller is totally committed to selling a comic book at that price.

If a price has changed, the sticker really doesn't make any difference to seller. He's going ask for his current price. A sticker is not an ironclad offer. If it was, many sellers would not bother to put stickers on their books.

A deal is made before payment all the time. Offer plus acceptance equals contract.

Book was $300. Buyer offered trade. Seller went to go check price of trade items, discovered his book was worth more and raised price. Buyer had not said he definitely would buy book at $300 so no contract existed. Seller raised price while negotiations were ongoing.

Yes we made the deal.

Then why did venom make this damn thread in the first place? :makepoint:(shrug)

To waste my time and your time with garbage threads such as this over a very small amount of $.

The fact if an actual agreement existed is moot. Venom offered to pay the sticker price. The sticker which the dealer put on the book, it's different if someone else switched price tags. The dealer had it priced, Venom agreed to buy it for sticker price and the dealer then said no, it's $800 now. That's shady and bad business practice regardless of any "official" agreement. The price was raised over a matter of what, minutes?

If the dealer went home and repriced it for the next day, even that wouldn't be bad in my opinion, disappointing maybe but certainly not something to a warrant this thread.

I still think the seller is a jerk, I will go out of my way to not spend my money there, and I will also attempt to discourage others to purchase from there.

Also just to clarify, in my mind, the second Venom expresses interest in buying the book, I consider that a live offer to which point if the seller had morals and wasn't a complete jerk, he should have honored his sticker price.

I don't think that's what actually happened based on the events I've read here. Am I missing something?

Also didn't Venom ended up buying the book anyways?

Venom did end up buying the book. But here's what I understand happened: the price of the comic was $300. Venom first offered to do a cash/trade. The sellers stepped away to look up the values, came back and rejected the trade. When Venom went to the pay the $300, they told him the price was now $800.

The dealer is trying to say Venom left the booth and came back at a later time to the pay the $300. Venom stated he never left and actually watched them research the price when they came back with a higher asking price.

The negotiations were ongoing. The dealer can lower or raise the price during this phase of the operation as he sees fit.

Also this same worker attempted to justify the price change to me as the previous grade of 6.5 given by HIM was now magically an 8.5 which was why the price was changed. The dealer then returned with another copy of FF45 this in much much lower condition and told me this much lower condition copy was 300.

:bump: