• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer changing the price

671 posts in this topic

Which side are we pitchforking now?

Pitchfork everyone.

Actually pitchfork the dealer that was walking around the Mike Carbo show earlier this year barefoot. That was simply weird and uncalled for.

Sounds like Greg White. Gray haired ponytail too?

A deal is never a deal until both parties agree.

I agree with Bob, if he paid the 300$ ( sticker price) instead of lowballing with a trade offer of 200$, he would have ended up with the FF45.

Just for the record, after Venom came back and we told him we do no longer wish to sell him the copy at 300$ we told him we felt it was worth 700$-800$.

He offered 300$ + the New Mutants 98 in VF/NM , which is a 450$-500$ value.

And we agreed just to make things fair for everyone.

So you mean to tell me that the OP saw the FF 45 for $300 and wanted to bargain down, which caused you guys to research its value to discover that it was worth $700-$800?

:roflmao:

When I read Venom's Original post, One dealer immediately came to mind.

Comicage or Comic Cage or something from Montreal (I think).

They did the same thing to another boardie in Vancouver at the Fan Expo.

He found a copy of Epic Illustrated #3 when it was Hot, and paid $10 for it.

The employee actually took his money. At that point, the transaction is complete. Right?

Wrong.

The woman who is one of the co-owners comes over, says that the book is hot on Ebay, and snatches the book out of Beamer's hands. She says the price is now $100.

I was astounded when he came and told us the story. That booth lost about a dozen serious buyers just from him telling the rest of us about the incident.

That sounds like theft, no?

Yep.

Ripping the book from your hands after you handed over the cash and the register went "ka-ching"... (tsk)

Which side are we pitchforking now?

Pitchfork everyone.

Actually pitchfork the dealer that was walking around the Mike Carbo show earlier this year barefoot. That was simply weird and uncalled for.

Sounds like Greg White. Gray haired ponytail too?

Yes.

I can't understand why some people are saying the price hike, during negotiation, is somehow acceptable. That sounds almost cartoonish to me... "Oh yeah, you don't like the price I have on this? Well pray I don't alter it further."

Negotiation - when there is a sticker price clearly evident - is always in the down direction. This is a known factor. Never, ever, is it acceptable for an item that is clearly priced to rise in cost during the negotiation... that is either a sign of outright overt aggression, or a sign of someone attempting to be subtly passive aggressive (and failing).

It sounds like both parties are saying the deal was in progression, the seller broke away from the deal and checked the price, and upon coming back turned down an offer for sticker price and then stated the new price was more than two times higher.

There is some wiggle room here if the BUYER had backed off and walked away for 5 or 10 minutes, but it was the seller that did this if I understand the various versions correctly. That makes a world of difference.

In my opinion, a sticker price is the seller's contract to actually sell that item for that price. The sticker price should be good from the beginning to the very end of an interaction. Either side absolutely can end the transaction, but walking away to reprice is not an acceptable means of doing so...

I can't understand why some people are saying the price hike, during negotiation, is somehow acceptable. That sounds almost cartoonish to me... "Oh yeah, you don't like the price I have on this? Well pray I don't alter it further."

I pretty much agree with this.

I quoted this part because I returned to work today. A couple of people started annoying me to the point that I put a picture of Lando up on my desk. When my buddy asked me why, I pointed to Lando and said, "This deal keeps getting worse all the time."

Negotiation - when there is a sticker price clearly evident - is always in the down direction. This is a known factor. Never, ever, is it acceptable for an item that is clearly priced to rise in cost during the negotiation... that is either a sign of outright overt aggression, or a sign of someone attempting to be subtly passive aggressive (and failing).

It sounds like both parties are saying the deal was in progression, the seller broke away from the deal and checked the price, and upon coming back turned down an offer for sticker price and then stated the new price was more than two times higher.

There is some wiggle room here if the BUYER had backed off and walked away for 5 or 10 minutes, but it was the seller that did this if I understand the various versions correctly. That makes a world of difference.

In my opinion, a sticker price is the seller's contract to actually sell that item for that price. The sticker price should be good from the beginning to the very end of an interaction. Either side absolutely can end the transaction, but walking away to reprice is not an acceptable means of doing so...

It might have been the right thing to do but it's not a contract.

If a seller's word is no good they can not be trusted.

That is what I mean by the sticker price being their contract. Failing to adhere to their sticker price is going back on their word in my opinion.

I don't mean it is a legally binding contract (I don't think so anyway - maybe there are laws around posted prices in stores and actual costs, I don't know.)

Imagine a scenario where some new comic shop owner who knew nothing about comics had Action #1 with a sticker of $10. Someone grabs it and says I'll give you $5 for this. Then someone else says hey that's a million dollar book. I don't see any world where it would be correct that the dealer should sell the book for $10 because that's what was on the sticker.

Imagine a scenario where some new comic shop owner who knew nothing about comics had Action #1 with a sticker of $10. Someone grabs it and says I'll give you $5 for this. Then someone else says hey that's a million dollar book. I don't see any world where it would be correct that the dealer should sell the book for $10 because that's what was on the sticker.

Worst. Haggle. Ever.

Almost all events can be viewed as falling somewhere along a spectrum - some events are way outside of the expected range of occurrence. These items are outliers and are considered exceptional because of their extraordinary circumstances.

Your example is an outlier - it doesn't really help to make a point, it is far too exaggerated and unbelievable. It is literally designed and slanted so heavily towards the point you're trying to make that it is unwieldy and I can't really respond to it except, as you see here, by explaining why it doesn't really seem to support your point... at least in my opinion.

Almost all events can be viewed as falling somewhere along a spectrum - some events are way outside of the expected range of occurrence. These items are outliers and are considered exceptional because of their extraordinary circumstances.

Your example is an outlier - it doesn't really help to make a point, it is far too exaggerated and unbelievable. It is literally designed and slanted so heavily towards the point you're trying to make that it is unwieldy and I can't really respond to it except, as you see here, by explaining why it doesn't really seem to support your point... at least in my opinion.

But it makes the point that there is no solid rule here-I mean at what point do you draw the line? $50,000? $10,000? $2000? And once you do that you have to explain why that's the decisive amount. Either dealers can change the price as new facts come in or they can't. The amount shouldn't enter into it.

When a buyer asks a dealer to give him a discount.. He is asking the dealer to change his sticker pricer to a lower price.Which seems to be an accepted practice for everyone.

I dont see why the dealer, if a deal has not been reached with a seller , can not change his sticker price on a book during a show.

The bottom line, Venom found a great deal and should have just paid full sticker, he would have walked away with the book.

Instead he made lower offers and trade offers, which we (sellers) did not accept and decided not to make a deal.

At that point we have every right to do as we wish with our book, no matter what the buyer offers.

Worst. Haggle. Ever.

lol

When a buyer asks a dealer to give him a discount.. He is asking the dealer to change his sticker pricer to a lower price.Which seems to be an accepted practice for everyone.

I dont see why the dealer, if a deal has not been reached with a seller , can not change his sticker price on a book during a show.

The bottom line, Venom found a great deal and should have just paid full sticker, he would have walked away with the book.

Instead he made lower offers and trade offers, which we (sellers) did not accept and decided not to make a deal.

At that point we have every right to do as we wish with our book, no matter what the buyer offers.

(again)

So if you have a book that I want at NYCC and quote me a price, and I agree, but then throw it out there if you can do any better if I pay in cash, or if you would take a partial trade, am I to expect that you reserve the option, upon my asking that question to raise the price of the book?

I sympathize, but you had time to price your book before you got to the show. Presumably you keep your stock up to date. I know errors occur, and we all know that it sucks when they occur in someone else's favor / against us.

But... your chance to reprice should never be while you're literally in the midst of negotiations. It seems clear that you were the one to step away from the negotiation, you then researched the book, and then you stepped back and said the price is no longer the same as it was when the conversation started.

How is a buyer to know that isn't some sort of shady business practice? I would have walked immediately unless I had a solid relationship with you prior to such a thing happening... and then I would have had a lot of questions.

And... yeah the seller can always ask for the price to go down, and you can always say 'no.' You hold all of the power there - you don't have to budge at all. But if your sticker prices are not your "I'll sell the item for this" prices then all bets are off, cats and dogs living together, etc, etc.

I don't know how else to express what I am trying to say, I wish I were more eloquent.