• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer changing the price

671 posts in this topic

Be careful, someone will come along and chastise you about how "all generalizations are wrong, and bad, and should never, ever, ever be used, ever."

:popcorn:

True, but fast typing and not enough editing can open all kinds of doors to argue over.

And before someone brings up the racist card, I just want you guys to know that Louise (who is now my wife) is part Indian. Her dad was born in India and raised in Singapore.

Louise. :cloud9:

I had a long talk with Richie Muchin a few months ago at a show, and the point of the conversation was that basically most sharks are always looking to buy dealer's mistakes.

It's interesting to see the other side of the perspective, and kind of funny to view anyone buying from a dealer as a shark. Isn't a person trying to find deals on comic books just a customer?

To me a Shark would be one dealer trying to get stock from another dealer because he knows a book has got hot, and not being honest. Dealers scooping dealers is shark like to me (didnt that happen with Walking Dead and dollar boxes a few years back). Customers looking for good prices is just shopping :)

With so many folks flipping books to support their habit, or just "part-time dealing" there is no real bright line between collector and dealer. I am a pretty hardcore collector of certain stuff, but at shows, I buy a lot of stuff that I have no intention of doing anything with except flipping.

There is a new animal in town, not sure I would call them sharks but maybe mercenary entrepreneurs

I don't think it is new. It is nothing different than I used to do as a teenager. Go to the shops that have nice stock, but are not up what has gotten hot, buy what they have and sell them to the shops that are very up on what is hot. Now we don't need the middle men any more! :grin:

True but the speed and availability of price information for/across regions/markets/venues makes comic arbitrage the new mowing lawns for money

Regardless of who is buying the book, if a price is settled and a deal is reached then it should be honored. That is a scumbag move.

Be careful, someone will come along and chastise you about how "all generalizations are wrong, and bad, and should never, ever, ever be used, ever."

:popcorn:

True, but fast typing and not enough editing can open all kinds of doors to argue over.

And before someone brings up the racist card, I just want you guys to know that Louise (who is now my wife) is part Indian. Her dad was born in India and raised in Singapore.

Louise. :cloud9:

I'm not sure how that makes any difference. Although from your pics you wouldn't look out of place haggling in a middle eastern bazaar (nor would I for that matter, at least after a month at the beach, not my january-in-the-office shade of pale)

I had a long talk with Richie Muchin a few months ago at a show, and the point of the conversation was that basically most sharks are always looking to buy dealer's mistakes.

It's interesting to see the other side of the perspective, and kind of funny to view anyone buying from a dealer as a shark. Isn't a person trying to find deals on comic books just a customer?

To me a Shark would be one dealer trying to get stock from another dealer because he knows a book has got hot, and not being honest. Dealers scooping dealers is shark like to me (didnt that happen with Walking Dead and dollar boxes a few years back). Customers looking for good prices is just shopping :)

With so many folks flipping books to support their habit, or just "part-time dealing" there is no real bright line between collector and dealer. I am a pretty hardcore collector of certain stuff, but at shows, I buy a lot of stuff that I have no intention of doing anything with except flipping.

There is a new animal in town, not sure I would call them sharks but maybe mercenary entrepreneurs

Possibly.

When I called them 'sharks' I just mean they know a bargain (ie easy prey) when they see it and won't miss the opportunity.

(thumbs u

Roy is right. There is a huge difference between a guy looking for a deal and a guy who doesn't miss mistakes. There is really very little reason to even go to a table after a few of these guys have hit it. And its not about just the hot books. Its anything as most of these guys are indiscriminate about what they buy, as long as it is at the right price.

to quote one of my favorite movies...

"Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker. "

I don't think it is new. It is nothing different than I used to do as a teenager. Go to the shops that have nice stock, but are not up what has gotten hot, buy what they have and sell them to the shops that are very up on what is hot. Now we don't need the middle men any more! :grin:

True but the speed and availability of price information for/across regions/markets/venues makes comic arbitrage the new mowing lawns for money

they should just price everything at 10X what it might be worth and never sell anything then

No matter what, if he does such a thing for me he’s pretty much out of business! (thumbs u

:sick:

You have that kind of influence, Claudio? :D

He's Italian...they uh....well let's just say they get things done. ;)

Also regardless of the circumstances that's shoddy business. Even if the book had been worth $800 they should have eaten the cost after a deal was made.

This truly made me laugh out loud, especially since… I probably saw more mafia in US movies than in my own country (for better or worse, I live in the north). lol

Hey, I have also learned a lot about it reading Kirby and Spider-Man stories with the Maggia… :cool:

I am saying that in many Eastern civilizations it's a way of life. Nobody pays face value at the flea markets where the locals shop - except noobs.

hm Hmm… I think I never haggled – seriously I mean – in my life. When I see a thing I either think the price is right and buy it, or if I believe it’s too high I ask once, if it’s a «no» I go away.

After reading many of the posts in this milky way galaxy of a thread I think perhaps the saddest thing about this all is the poor "10$/hr." employee who probably got his behind chewed out for creating this"spoon" storm. Dreams of working in comic book collecting?...dreams of owning your own store kid?....POOF!Call me crazy but said employee might have gotten in less trouble for just selling the book in the first place, me thinks, rather then having the booth owner re-neg.#LEH

Roy is right. There is a huge difference between a guy looking for a deal and a guy who doesn't miss mistakes. There is really very little reason to even go to a table after a few of these guys have hit it. And its not about just the hot books. Its anything as most of these guys are indiscriminate about what they buy, as long as it is at the right price.

to quote one of my favorite movies...

"Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker. "

At WWC I found a NM/NM+ Marvel Premiere 15 for $135 after Harley had first shot at a box. I considered it a modest success.

You are right, most of the time there is no point in going to a booth after a few of the usual suspects have hit it. Big cons are picked relatively clean of good flipping material well before the doors open to the public.

You are right, most of the time there is no point in going to a booth after a few of the usual suspects have hit it. Big cons are picked relatively clean of good flipping material well before the doors open to the public.

Hearing this makes me feel really sad :/lol

Still tons of awesome stuff, just not keys at 50% of market value, so don't be too sad!

My favorite con purchase of the past year or so came on Friday of WWC from Dale, days after setup was over. It wasn't a "steal", it was just an awesome book I have wanted for a long time at a price that was fair.

Still tons of awesome stuff, just not keys at 50% of market value, so don't be too sad!

My favorite con purchase of the past year or so came on Friday of WWC from Dale, days after setup was over. It wasn't a "steal", it was just an awesome book I have wanted for a long time at a price that was fair.

True, just further validates the importance of the boards with awesome members here!

I really find it awesome when some dealers throw in a few books into the $5 boxes that they know are more valuable to make some of their customers feel like they got a stealth buy.

I Don't mind if the dealers get the best deals, they usually rely on comics to eat and take care of their family. Does that mean I won't try to get the best price I can? of course not, but I won't begrudge them for doing the same.

True, just further validates the importance of the boards with awesome members here!

I really find it awesome when some dealers throw in a few books into the $5 boxes that they know are more valuable to make some of their customers feel like they got a stealth buy.

That's true. I sold a Flash Annual #1 out of one of my $5.00 boxes at Chicago and the guy couldn't believe it was in there.