• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer changing the price

671 posts in this topic

Was there yesterday as well and not surprised. The sharks were definitely out, but it was the dealers not the customers. One was flatly rejecting offers on all books, sticker price only with no discounts. Anyone who asked was rudely told no. No way that book in mid grade is worth $800 either. $300 is a decent price but I'd try to haggle on that as well. It's up to the dealers to keep up with what's hot and from what I saw with the pricing and what was on wall displays, they all seemed to be very prepared. Checking gpa/ebay and changing the price in front of you is not cool. Totally ok to use it to support their sticker price though. Alex

The sharks were definitely out, but it was the dealers not the customers. One was flatly rejecting offers on all books, sticker price only with no discounts. Anyone who asked was rudely told no.

Like I said, the landscape is changing, and not always for the better...

Never heard of them. Are they big time?

Link w/photo

3rd dealer down

"...Major Comics is also the organizer for the Montreal Comic-Con, which is taking place September 11-12" [2010]

One Day Admission to the Montreal Comic-Con is $15...although it might suddenly jump to $100 without notice... :)

Major Comics

Ugh. :facepalm:

They are actually nice people in person. They put on the Montreal Comic show in two weeks.

I think I know what happened. They sold a few books early on in the show and found out after the fact that they had priced books too cheap so I think they were a little gun shy.

While they should have their inventory priced accurately for sale when they open the doors, most dealers who live on the show circuit have a hard time staying on top of everything.

Like I said, they are generally good people but you have that bargaining, flea market mentality going on when negotiating with them (some people are just like that) and they are not really going to do business like a Harvard graduate would.

They really should have honored the sale though, that is the end of the story.

If you want me to offer some friendly advice to them I can.

Major Comics

They are actually nice people in person. They put on the Montreal Comic show in two weeks.

I think I know what happened. They sold a few books early on in the show and found out after the fact that they had priced books too cheap so I think they were a little gun shy.

While they should have their inventory priced accurately for sale when they open the doors, most dealers who live on the show circuit have a hard time staying on top of everything.

Like I said, they are generally good people but you have that bargaining, flea market mentality going on when negotiating with them (some people are just like that) and they are not really going to do business like a Harvard graduate would.

You can tell them from me that I'll buy a raw book from Mark Wilson or Gary Carter before I'll buy from Major Comics. My 2c .

Major Comics

Regardless of how busy they are with the con travel, they are still in the business to know what the market is demanding as far as prices. If not, then why set up a sales booth (shrug)

I think I would have made a very minor scene, very loudly saying "THANK YOU, "DEALER", FOR STRIKING A DEAL WITH ME, AND THEN RAISING THE PRICE BY $500 AS I WAS ABOUT TO PAY YOU. I SINCERELY APOLOGIZE FOR US NOT BEING ABLE TO PURCHASE THIS COMIC AT $500 MORE THAN YOUR POSTED SALE PRICE. I HAVE NO DOUBT THAT WITH SOUND BUSINESS PRACTICES LIKE RAISING PRICES BY MORE THAN DOUBLE AFTER MAKING DEALS THAT YOU WILL BE VERY PROSPEROUS. GOOD DAY."

Major Comics

You can tell them from me that I'll buy a raw book from Mark Wilson or Gary Carter before I'll buy from Major Comics. My 2c .

Mark Wilson I get, but what did Gary Carter do recently/long ago to earn that undesirable comparison? Fill me in, as I may be out of the loop. :)

Yesterday I went to fan expo, had my eye on a nice book, I negotiated with one of the workers and finally decided I would be willing to pay full price as it was becoming a hassle. We cut a deal for 300 dollars, as I am ready to pay I am told wait hold on. After I had made a deal one of the other members behind the booth was looking up all ebay prices, I was not entirely sure what he was doing at first until I was told after I had made a deal that the price was no longer 300 instead it is now 800. Has anyone else experienced this?

I sold a book yesterday and found out afterwards I could have sold it for double or triple my price. It happens. The guy should not be allowed to change his price once a deal was made.

I'd say who it was.

Yep, happens to all of us...accepted an offer of £120 for an FF # 45 7.5 - guy needed a lot of help getting the (I thought pretty straightforward) offer system to work on my site, but I worked with him till he got it sorted - learned in the meantime I probably could have got twice as much or more for it - just gotta deal with it.

That doesn't excuse the guy from backing out of the deal, of course. But with former dollar books becoming overnight 3-to-4 figure sensations (and then some!), it's clear that the landscape for buyers and sellers is changing very rapidly, and not always for the better...

I think this is kind of backwards logic. The fact the dealers have a golden opportunity to make money on books they couldnt before, means all the more reason to do your job well, and at the very least pay some kid $10 an hour to price your stuff out for you on ebay before you go and pay thousands to set it up at a major convention....

I would think pricing sensitive inventory wouldn't be left up to the lowest-paid member of the team.

If I ever see them state side I'll be sure to allude to shady practices like this. Good people or not this is unacceptable. Can't imagine this flying on a sales thread here. Hey I know you said :takeit: but looks like I don't know how to price my books so I'm jacking up the price.

This stuff is frustrating, another reason why con's are such a shoot with buying books. I have certain dealers I trust, I'm blacklisting this guy. I hope I see him at a convention as I will ask about this.

I'm somewhat amazed you were going to pay $300 for a raw FF45 in 6.0/6.5 must have had potential

Isn't a slabbed 6.5 going for about $450 or so? $300 seems about right since he is grading it in hand (especially if its a keeper copy).