• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer changing the price

671 posts in this topic

Major Comics

Ugh. :facepalm:

They are actually nice people in person. They put on the Montreal Comic show in two weeks.

I think I know what happened. They sold a few books early on in the show and found out after the fact that they had priced books too cheap so I think they were a little gun shy.

While they should have their inventory priced accurately for sale when they open the doors, most dealers who live on the show circuit have a hard time staying on top of everything.

Like I said, they are generally good people but you have that bargaining, flea market mentality going on when negotiating with them (some people are just like that) and they are not really going to do business like a Harvard graduate would.

They really should have honored the sale though, that is the end of the story.

If you want me to offer some friendly advice to them I can.

You can tell them from me that I'll buy a raw book from Mark Wilson or Gary Carter before I'll buy from Major Comics. My 2c .

Mark Wilson I get, but what did Gary Carter do recently/long ago to earn that undesirable comparison? Fill me in, as I may be out of the loop. :)

He disappeared from the hobby without a trace, that's all. Nobody's been able to buy from him for years.

Major Comics

They are actually nice people in person. They put on the Montreal Comic show in two weeks.

I think I know what happened. They sold a few books early on in the show and found out after the fact that they had priced books too cheap so I think they were a little gun shy.

While they should have their inventory priced accurately for sale when they open the doors, most dealers who live on the show circuit have a hard time staying on top of everything.

Like I said, they are generally good people but you have that bargaining, flea market mentality going on when negotiating with them (some people are just like that) and they are not really going to do business like a Harvard graduate would.

You can tell them from me that I'll buy a raw book from Mark Wilson or Gary Carter before I'll buy from Major Comics. My 2c .

Mark Wilson I get, but what did Gary Carter do recently/long ago to earn that undesirable comparison? Fill me in, as I may be out of the loop. :)

He disappeared from the hobby without a trace, that's all. Nobody's been able to buy from him for years.

:gossip: You can't sell what you don't have.

Major Comics

I see. The way you phrased it, it seemed as though you were likening him to the Wilson boys, which might be said to be an unflattering comparison. :)

Never heard of them. Are they big time?

Link w/photo

3rd dealer down

"...Major Comics is also the organizer for the Montreal Comic-Con, which is taking place September 11-12" [2010]

One Day Admission to the Montreal Comic-Con is $15...although it might suddenly jump to $100 without notice... :)

lol

Major Comics

I do think I'd heard that he sold everything. Seems a shame--even if I left the hobby I think I'd hang on to a few of my favorites for old times' sake. Maybe something soured him on the hobby in the major way?

Major Comics

I do think I'd heard that he sold everything. Seems a shame--even if I left the hobby I think I'd hang on to a few of my favorites for old times' sake. Maybe something soured him on the hobby in the major way?

Might have, or maybe he'd just burned out. It can happen, especially to those involved in a hobby with a great deal of personal time/effort/expense. Off topic, there's a guy (Pat Covert) who was higher up in scale modeling circles, cars especially, to the point where he had a monthly column, published how-to books, exhibited competitively, traveled for show coverage, etc.

He's still around and alive as far as I know, but in terms of all that hobby involvement, has disappeared off the map. I assume, burnout, shifted his time and life to other priorities. Can happen for anyone. :)

Yesterday I went to fan expo, had my eye on a nice book, I negotiated with one of the workers and finally decided I would be willing to pay full price as it was becoming a hassle. We cut a deal for 300 dollars, as I am ready to pay I am told wait hold on. After I had made a deal one of the other members behind the booth was looking up all ebay prices, I was not entirely sure what he was doing at first until I was told after I had made a deal that the price was no longer 300 instead it is now 800. Has anyone else experienced this?

Yes, most recently with a local Los Angeles dealer named "Angelo."

Certainly the business practice is cheeky but

playing devil's advocate here.

It's acceptable to scoop the book from under the dealer when it was priced well below

fair market value?

Sure, it's the dealer's responsibility to know their product but with a large inventory and ever changing prices on books becoming hot in the blink of an eye it's hard to keep up.

At the end of the day, it sucks they did that. But who knows all the variables.

Maybe the OP annoyed the other dealer working the booth with his negotiation tactics and he just wanted to stick it to him.

I would think pricing sensitive inventory wouldn't be left up to the lowest-paid member of the team.

If all they are doing is looking at GPA values and ebay completed sales, that's basically just data entry.

The sharks were definitely out, but it was the dealers not the customers. One was flatly rejecting offers on all books, sticker price only with no discounts. Anyone who asked was rudely told no.

Like I said, the landscape is changing, and not always for the better...

Why do you think that is?

Certainly the business practice is cheeky but

playing devil's advocate here.

It's acceptable to scoop the book from under the dealer when it was priced well below

fair market value?

Sure, it's the dealer's responsibility to know their product but with a large inventory and ever changing prices on books becoming hot in the blink of an eye it's hard to keep up.

At the end of the day, it sucks they did that. But who knows all the variables.

Maybe the OP annoyed the other dealer working the booth with his negotiation tactics and he just wanted to stick it to him.

Is that supposed to be a mitigating "variable?"

And yes, it's 100% acceptable to try to buy a comic from a dealer for their sticker price, whatever that price may be. 100%. It is 0% acceptable for that dealer to agree to the deal, then jack up the price ~167%.

fair market value?

It's not like the book was in the back of a warehouse. He is exhibiting books at, what is it now, the third largest Con in NA. He has it for sale on the convention floor, with a price on it. It's not like he's some little old lady at a flea market

Major Comics

There's an interview with him on Comic Connect from about 10 years ago. He wasn't happy with the direction of the hobby, so he sold most of his collection. He did say he kept a few books for his son(most likely high grade SA keys).

I would think pricing sensitive inventory wouldn't be left up to the lowest-paid member of the team.

If all they are doing is looking at GPA values and ebay completed sales, that's basically just data entry.

OK, point taken there. But for a lot of inventory, I wouldn't know if I would be entrusted to price it up, if I hadn't been the buyer, didn't know what $ there was into X box of books, etc.

If given a box to price by the owner, "use GPA and go to it on these" then that makes sense. I've done similar, long in the past now, when I used to work for a coin dealer in high school.