• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you could only collect one character...

78 posts in this topic

Batman!

Generally speaking, I'm only a Spidey collector. All my slabbed books are Spider-Man minus the East of West book I speculated on. I don't think that book is going to pay off though…

I read a TON of stuff though and enjoy just about anything, but I don't see any reason to collect anything else.

East of West lol

I also learned the hard way to stay away from the modern speculation train.

It's not a character, but I'm pretty much focused on Star Wars comics. The comic that got me started collecting was Marvel Star Wars 26. While I've bought many other comics over the years, Star Wars has always been the one constant.

These days, I buy very little modern comics and have turned my attention to foreign Star Wars comic collecting. I'm actually sad that there are no new Star Wars comics between now and sometime next year. :sorry:

If it was only one,even being a Marvel guy,I'd have to say Batman....the books are endless....no end in sight to collecting Batman. For Marvel it would be a toss up between Subby or the Human Torch.....but would it have to be only one of the Torches?Could it be SA and GA or would it have to be one or the other?

Hellboy

+1

or B.P.R.D. if you're allowing groups. Because then I get Liz, Abe, Johann, Kate, Panya and the other stories contained therein.

:headbang:

BPRD is my favorite long term ongoing series, I enjoy it even more than the solo Hellboy books. The "Mingolaverse" and whatever Brubaker series are running tend to be my only constant regularly published comic buys. But reading interests are exactly the same as collecting in the sense of a willingness to pay premiums based on rarity and condition as opposed to just accumulating affordable reading copies ( either new or back issue). I have later softbound edtions of all the Tintin books, and have probably reread them more than any other comic series I've owned, but they classify as a collection only in the broadest terms.

My deeper collecting interests have more to do with genes and artists than they do with characters, so the distinction of collecting just one character ( like Wonder Wart-Hog over Mr. Natural , as opposed to Crumb over Shelton) seems arbitrary.

If I had to limit my back issue acquisitions to just one character for the rest of collecting days, I imagine it would be Batman, mainly because while I'v enjoyed various interpretations of the character over the decades, I currently just own a few misc 90s issues of Batman related titles that I purchased off the stands due to writers and artists, so I'd have plenty of room to grow. I even have a soft spot for the goofy late fifties/early sixties Batman, buying (and then mostly selling) low grade copies over the years just to read.

Yes, it’s quite impossible to narrow the choice to a single character, even if you consider his best interpretation by his creator or writer.

I said the Fantastic Four, but I meant it if speaking of Marvel characters, otherwise there is a large number from all over the world. :)

Thanos! (thumbs u

IMG_7854.jpg

Loads of great stuff in this thread, but...

These are the kind of interesting posts that I love seeing! :applause:

I personally couldn't give two about Thanos, but you've got an entire awesome shrine devoted to him.

I find that fascinating. Seriously.

Now who's got a closet full of Howard the Duck out there?