• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's Your Kryptonite?...

86 posts in this topic

Most flying hero's....like where it is not really explained 'how' they fly. hm

I love subby,but those little wings?Superman...just...flys?Iron Man,okay,humantorch,I get it...Storm..alright.But just the power of flight with no reason?Uh uh.Always drove me crazy.Silver Surfer has his board...Okay.Really,just Superman and hero's, villains that fly like him drives me cbatty I guess.

Why does HT get a pass?

Heat rises? (shrug) Makes sense to me.

Does he turn into fire? Or does he catch fire? Either one I'd find just as hard to swallow as someone flying, and neither is kryptonite for me.

I always thought he caught fire, his skin somehow combusts. If you get hot enough flying doesn't seem out of the question for me (no more so than catching fire in the first place). I can buy it and can suspend disbelief far enough to accept it.

What has always bugged me is the Flash (mainly Barry, I don't think Wally could do this) vibrating through solid objects like walls. That always seemed to be too far to stretch super speed.

DO NOT DOUBT BARRY!!! :sumo:

I always had less trouble with the vibrating through walls thing than being able to run so fast he could turn back time. An example of overdoing a superpower, I'll take SA Quicksilver or even the GA Flash over Barry Allen.

I'll 2nd the little 'mercury' foot-wings thing.

Three or four ankle feathers ain't doin' jack. Sorry. It's some editor forgetting to pick up his eraser.

So let me get this straight? Are we criticizing super heroes that are unrealistic?

lol

I love subby,but those little wings?Superman...just...flys?Iron Man,okay,humantorch,I get it...Storm..alright.But just the power of flight with no reason?Uh uh.Always drove me crazy.Silver Surfer has his board...Okay.Really,just Superman and hero's, villains that fly like him drives me cbatty I guess.

Why does HT get a pass?

Heat rises? (shrug) Makes sense to me.

Does he turn into fire? Or does he catch fire? Either one I'd find just as hard to swallow as someone flying, and neither is kryptonite for me.

I always thought he caught fire, his skin somehow combusts. If you get hot enough flying doesn't seem out of the question for me (no more so than catching fire in the first place). I can buy it and can suspend disbelief far enough to accept it.

What has always bugged me is the Flash (mainly Barry, I don't think Wally could do this) vibrating through solid objects like walls. That always seemed to be too far to stretch super speed.

DO NOT DOUBT BARRY!!! :sumo:

I always had less trouble with the vibrating through walls thing than being able to run so fast he could turn back time. An example of overdoing a superpower, I'll take SA Quicksilver or even the GA Flash over Barry Allen.

I do love the Flash, but yeah, there are a few examples where they went way too far with his super speed.

I'll 2nd the little 'mercury' foot-wings thing.

Three or four ankle feathers ain't doin' jack. Sorry. It's some editor forgetting to pick up his eraser.

So let me get this straight? Are we criticizing super heroes that are unrealistic?

lol

Just stuff that is so far out of the realm of internal logic and the laws of physics that it bruises your suspension of disbelief.

I get the whole "unrealistic means of flight". I mean there's a STAN'S RANTS about it on youtube. But I think in Byrne's 1983 Man of Steel comic retcon, it was established that superman's cells are basically energized batteries, and his resistance to physical harm is caused by a forcefield like encapsulation, which explains the near invulnerability of not only him but of his costume.

Also, if he's generating an invisible force-field, perhaps he can use it to alter the affect gravity has on him (nullfying gravity or bending time/space or jet-like propulsion but invisible).

As far as the original question; I wouldn't call it a kryptonite, but a pet peeve is the duplication of characters between DC and Marvel. There appears to be an equivalent character with nearly identical powers if not appearance or name, or sometimes all 3!

green-arrow-hawkeye.jpg

Green Arrow/Hawkeye, Blue beetle/Beetle, Black Spider/Spider-man, Dr. Fate/Dr. Strange, Flaming skull/Ghost Rider, Catwoman/Black-Cat, Martian Man-hunter/Vision, Swamp Thing/Man-Thing, Aquaman/Prince Namor etc. infinitum.

I think one of the reasons I like Hellboy is that not only is Hellboy pretty unique, but all of the other "heroes" in the universe have pretty tame powers respective to DC & marvel. Abe can breath under water and has resistance to damage. LIz can start fires but has trouble controlling it and can't fly. Probably the most powerful character in the Mignolaverse is Johann Kraus(near-indestructability and able to take control of autonomous machines and creatures). Hellboy himself even dies...Ooops! I should have prefaced that with SPOILER.

No one can push a planet out of its orbit, or disintegrate a mountain. And Hellboy's epic battles usually boil down to him having a mystic/holy artifact that is able to harm the eldrich beast.

-Terry

Skrulls.

Too many story lines that are invalidated with the twist of "Just kidding! So-and-so was really a Skrull in disguise, not who we thought they were."

that.

Yeah, major difference between a satisfying plot twist and a head-shaking cop-out. Deus ex machina laziness BS. (tsk)

If you get the reader to invest, pay off mofo. :mad:

I also have one from comic book movies. It's that 'mass from nothingness' effect.

I get why they use it, but it still gives me a brain-jolt of disbelief when used. It's fairly standard now, used a lot, so I'm slowly becoming desensitized.

The last time was for Star Lord's facemask. The very 1st time, I think, was for Batmobile shielding.

Know the effect I'm talking about? Like so...

+1 Angel had wings, Hulk can jump 50 miles, Cap has to catch a plane......All have a shred of believability which connects back to reality and makes a story enjoyable

The thing that I have a hard time accepting is the amazing sense of direction displayed by flying characters.

Think about it, if you could fly and you took off in the air, you might be OK in just your local area if you knew the landmarks really well. If you wanted to go to a particular place outside of the area, how would you find it? Follow the roads? Grab a compass? If you got into a battle in the sky and then realised that you didn't know where you were, how would you find your way back? All flying superheroes seem to automatically know which way to head, you don't see them landing to look at the signs and then grab a map to see where they need to head.

Shrinking and growing heroes. Either the atoms themselves are shrinking and growing, or they're being compressed and fluffed up. Neither makes sense. If the atoms are shrinking, does their mass stay the same? Either way makes no sense. If Atom shrinks down to microscopic level, his weight would carry him to the center of earth. He would asphyxiate as how can you breath an oxygen atom that is as big as you are? If Ant Man drinks a potion that shrinks him down htf does his helmet also shrink? Helmets can't drink.

My biggest Kryptonite is wisecracking heroes. That is so done to death. cliche city. Every guy that wants to write comics immediately starts off with the wisecracking. That pros still do it is inexcusable.