• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sunfire & Big Hero 6

315 posts in this topic

Sunfire & Big Hero 6 #1-#3

Big Hero 6 #1-#5 (There is a variant for #1 that sells for $80ish, but it is 1:10 and hard to find)

Big Hero 6 TPB (Pictured above by snowman28, so not really a TPB but oversized comic. Same cover as #1 variant, but it says Brave New Worlds at the bottom.)

Alpha Flight #17 (1997)

People are also hyping up Alpha Flight #16 because it has an advertisement for Big Hero 6, but I wouldn't fall into it unless it really is $1 bin book.

Alpha 16 features the first Big Hero 6 logo and is an early appearance of Honey Lemon ( may be her first )

This is one I am going to regret selling early.

I have made some very nice money on that collected Comic TPB, but I sold too early on sets of 1-3 for around $30-35 each.

The trailer looks great its going to do well. Heck I have even thought about buying back in if I can find some reasonable issues.

This is one I am going to regret selling early.

I have made some very nice money on that collected Comic TPB, but I sold too early on sets of 1-3 for around $30-35 each.

The trailer looks great its going to do well. Heck I have even thought about buying back in if I can find some reasonable issues.

that happened to me with the Strain, minus the wanting to get them back part :)

This one I'd always intended to sell into the movie's launch, but I think because my wife is going to love it, that I'll end up keeping some of it. The variant I posted early for sure, and at least one copy of each issue of the different series.

I have the only 9.8 Universal on the census right now apparently, of Big Hero 6 #1. :blush:

I'm sure that won't last long, but I'll enjoy it while I can :cool:

I think all the books will do well. The Alpha Flight, the Sunfire Mini, and the Big Hero 6 mini series. It will probably be like GotG, where there was so little material for some of the characters that everything got hot and sold well. The small print runs don't hurt either, and the fact that so many of them have probably been abused in dollar bins over the years

When Alpha Flight #17 (SECOND series!) started selling for $40+ on ebay, I took out multiple large unsecured loans and started having unprotected relations with strange women...Because I KNOW this thing I am experiencing is either the longest fitful dream in history or it is the surrest sign of the apocalypse that we have collectively witnessed as a society.

They have to invent a word that descibes absurdity far beyond what ridiculousness can convey.

I just did a search on ebay and there were multiple sales of RAW AFl#17 for over $60. What's next? Will Elmo be nominated for a Nobel prize? Will Guy Fieri be elected president?

The movie over-hyped comics are making my brains hurt.

-T

When Alpha Flight #17 (SECOND series!) started selling for $40+ on ebay, I took out multiple large unsecured loans and started having unprotected relations with strange women...Because I KNOW this thing I am experiencing is either the longest fitful dream in history or it is the surrest sign of the apocalypse that we have collectively witnessed as a society.

They have to invent a word that descibes absurdity far beyond what ridiculousness can convey.

I just did a search on ebay and there were multiple sales of RAW AFl#17 for over $60. What's next? Will Elmo be nominated for a Nobel prize? Will Guy Fieri be elected president?

The movie over-hyped comics are making my brains hurt.

-T

It does defy logic. Why are people interested in a character just because the character is in a movie, especially if they had no interest in that character before? Why is this happening now? It's not like we haven't had comic movies over the years that didn't increase in price or only increased nominally. Just off the top of my head:

Mask

Virus

Surrogate

From Hell

The book that seems to have started this trend is The Walking Dead. People are so interested in the next The Walking Dead that they are help fuel these fires. Do collectors really enjoy spending more and more money on books?

If the first Sunfire appearance skyrockets, you do have to wonder.

It does defy logic. Why are people interested in a character just because the character is in a movie, especially if they had no interest in that character before? Why is this happening now? It's not like we haven't had comic movies over the years that didn't increase in price or only increased nominally.

i agree with the Walking Dead as the cause of the trend, but at least with Marvel movie books, unlike optioned Image stuff, there is a real and genuine possibility that Marvel/Disney permanently change the landscape of the market and what is popular/mainstream.

If Big Hero becomes a billion dollar property with tons of merchandise and kids growing up on it, then I think its justifiable for people to hold these books.

When you look at some of the silly printing error and manufactured rarity books that people spend grands on, or even NM 98 and IH181 which arent rare at all. Low two figures for big hero is pretty reasonable.

It does defy logic. Why are people interested in a character just because the character is in a movie, especially if they had no interest in that character before? Why is this happening now? It's not like we haven't had comic movies over the years that didn't increase in price or only increased nominally.

i agree with the Walking Dead as the cause of the trend, but at least with Marvel movie books, unlike optioned Image stuff, there is a real and genuine possibility that Marvel/Disney permanently change the landscape of the market and what is popular/mainstream.

If Big Hero becomes a billion dollar property with tons of merchandise and kids growing up on it, then I think its justifiable for people to hold these books.

When you look at some of the silly printing error and manufactured rarity books that people spend grands on, or even NM 98 and IH181 which arent rare at all. Low two figures for big hero is pretty reasonable.

I understand what you are saying, but just how many of these billion dollar properties can be supported? Not nearly as many as people on here would like. Not every movie is going to be turned into a billion dollar franchise that appeals to a whole generation of kids. It's just not possible. There is a saturation point. IMHO, this need to hype up these comics as the next "big thing" is really, really bad for comic collecting market. First of all, a movie has to be made. Then the movie has to be a hit. Then the movie has to be turned into a franchise. The odds are pretty slim on many of the properties and characters that people are hyping.

Hyping up the comics keeps those who are already invested in comic collecting interested, but it is a huge turnoff to people wanting to get into comics IMHO. Have a favorite character? Well, for a grand or more, you too can own the first appearance!

I know, everyone wants the next Walking Dead or TMNT. But those types of properties don't come around that often. And if they did, are they really special anymore? If every comic movie was a hit and Hollywood produced 30+ superhero movies a year, do we really believe all those movies with all those characters are going to translate to big dollar books? There is a point where the return is going to be diminished.

I am impressed with the amount of money that is being thrown at some marginal books and properties these days. I just don't feel it is sustainable. I just think a slow, steady growth is more healthy for comics and back issue prices.

I will disclose, I'm a Disney stock holder since Marvel was bought by Disney. Prior to that, I was a Marvel stock holder. I think it is fabulous these properties are doing so well. My stock has seen a steady increase for many, many years now. As a comic collector though, I worry about what these skyrocketing prices on key back issues is doing to my hobby. I don't see people with a genuine love for these characters pursuing these books, but people who only collect keys, only collect movie books, only collect 1st appearances, etc.

Same question I asked about Deadpool, what storyline did the Big Hero 6 participate in that will be considered a classic? I can't think of any.

I understand what you are saying, but just how many of these billion dollar properties can be supported? Not nearly as many as people on here would like. Not every movie is going to be turned into a billion dollar franchise that appeals to a whole generation of kids. It's just not possible. There is a saturation point. IMHO, this need to hype up these comics as the next "big thing" is really, really bad for comic collecting market. First of all, a movie has to be made. Then the movie has to be a hit. Then the movie has to be turned into a franchise. The odds are pretty slim on many of the properties and characters that people are hyping.

Hyping up the comics keeps those who are already invested in comic collecting interested, but it is a huge turnoff to people wanting to get into comics IMHO. Have a favorite character? Well, for a grand or more, you too can own the first appearance!

I know, everyone wants the next Walking Dead or TMNT. But those types of properties don't come around that often. And if they did, are they really special anymore? If every comic movie was a hit and Hollywood produced 30+ superhero movies a year, do we really believe all those movies with all those characters are going to translate to big dollar books? There is a point where the return is going to be diminished.

I am impressed with the amount of money that is being thrown at some marginal books and properties these days. I just don't feel it is sustainable. I just think a slow, steady growth is more healthy for comics and back issue prices.

I will disclose, I'm a Disney stock holder since Marvel was bought by Disney. Prior to that, I was a Marvel stock holder. I think it is fabulous these properties are doing so well. My stock has seen a steady increase for many, many years now. As a comic collector though, I worry about what these skyrocketing prices on key back issues is doing to my hobby. I don't see people with a genuine love for these characters pursuing these books, but people who only collect keys, only collect movie books, only collect 1st appearances, etc.

Same question I asked about Deadpool, what storyline did the Big Hero 6 participate in that will be considered a classic? I can't think of any.

Here's the potential difference I see with Big Hero 6. And let me start by saying that I haven't read any of the books that they appear in, although I do own the Alpha Flight issue and Sunfire & BH6 #1. Unlike most of the other books being speculated on, I see a different dynamic here in that, if the movie does well, there's a chance that this property will largely be identified with the animation. If it's huge, perhaps it becomes a franchise and the comic will be important for comic collectors (although I don't see that people who aren't comic readers will jump on board and look for the first issue, since BH6 isn't known as a comic (certainly not in the way that Batman, Spider-man, etc. are, even if people don't read the comics). So I don't think in this case a classic story is necessary. What would be important (potentially) is that it's a successful Disney property. Of course, it has to become a successful Disney property, and I think sequels will need to be made. If it breaks out, I would expect another increase on these books.

With Deadpool, I'm not sure that a classic story is necessary, because the driving force is the comedy. So I wouldn't necessarily expect a translation of a comic story for the movie. I would expect that they get the character right, and create a story that works for the character in that medium. Honestly, I couldn't even tell you if there's an obvious adversary for the movie.

I know nothing about this comic and the kids saw the trailer and think it's cool. That being said it looks like it is primarily about the boy and Baymax? And the Baymax character looks nothing like he did in the comics, correct?

I don't know, Disney might have another hit movie with this one, but the connection to the comics seem very weak (loose) to me.

I know nothing about this comic and the kids saw the trailer and think it's cool. That being said it looks like it is primarily about the boy and Baymax? And the Baymax character looks nothing like he did in the comics, correct?

I don't know, Disney might have another hit movie with this one, but the connection to the comics seem very weak (loose) to me.

I've been thinking the same thing.