• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pop Culture Archaeology - Origin of the Comic Con

34 posts in this topic

I want to invite all my boardie friends and colleagues to check out the first episode of my new video podcast Pop Culture Archaeology.

In this episode I trace the history of the comic con back to the sf pulp fans of the 1920s and 30s. Enjoy!

Terrific job and thanks for using my photo of my RBCC collection at 11:53. :acclaim:

6033382542_4b4c5440eb_z.jpg

I didn't realize it was yours BB - I would have credited you. I found it with a google search.

I want to invite all my boardie friends and colleagues to check out the first episode of my new video podcast Pop Culture Archaeology.

In this episode I trace the history of the comic con back to the sf pulp fans of the 1920s and 30s. Enjoy!

As stated in the gold thread it`s amazing how all of comic book fandom owes a lot of gratitude to what the founding fathers of pulp and science fiction fandom started.

Thanks Mitch. There's a lot of great history that many younger fans today just don't know about. That's what this series will be about -- telling those stories and educating younger folks about the history of fandom.

Jeff,

Even us not-so-young fans learn something.

Mike

Jeff, that was an absolutely brilliant piece of work.

And what I found most interesting is that movies, books, cosplay and pop culture in general, have been tied into comic and sci fi cons since the dawn of the first conventions. It's not a new development.

Absolutely killer job!

Thanks everyone! :)

That was great; would love to see a history of the Seuling New York cons as well done as this!

You're not the first to suggest this, and I definitely want to do more on the early days of comic fandom. In fact, you could do whole indivdual episodes just on NY fandom, California fandom, and Texas fandom. So that will definately be a future topic.

Part of why I want to do this though is to educate new fans who aren't as hardcore as us about the history of these pop culture properties that are now becoming mainstream.

I thought I might do the next one on the history of Guardians of the Galaxy since it's hot right now, but few people know anything about the background of the characters.

But what do you guys think? What other topics would you like to see covered? It doesn't have to be comic related -- movies, TV shows, fandom, books, popular genres and subgenres, etc. -- it's all fair game.

I think a zombie episode would be interesting.

First, the voodoo stories of the pulps, the b-movies of the 40s-60s (I walked with a Zombie up to The Plague of Zombies), revenants in 50s horror comics leading up to the comics code, Romero's game-changing Night of the Living Dead and the shift to flesh-eating zombies, 80s Return of the Living Dead, 90s-2000s video games, all leading up to The Walking Dead conquering television.

I think you could also do a fun episode about the many changing interpretations of various pulp characters through the decades in film/T.V. as a response to the current social/political climate of the times (i.e. Tarzan, John Carter, Zorro, the Lone Ranger, etc.)

I could probably list suggestion forever, but I'll stop now. :)

I think a zombie episode would be interesting.

First, the voodoo stories of the pulps, the b-movies of the 40s-60s (I walked with a Zombie up to The Plague of Zombies), revenants in 50s horror comics leading up to the comics code, Romero's game-changing Night of the Living Dead and the shift to flesh-eating zombies, 80s Return of the Living Dead, 90s-2000s video games, all leading up to The Walking Dead conquering television.

I think you could also do a fun episode about the many changing interpretations of various pulp characters through the decades in film/T.V. as a response to the current social/political climate of the times (i.e. Tarzan, John Carter, Zorro, the Lone Ranger, etc.)

I could probably list suggestion forever, but I'll stop now. :)

You read my mind on the zombie episode as that's essentially the introduction to my Zombies from the Pulps book. I was thinking about doing it around the start of the new WD season. The cultural "artifact" I plan to start with will be William Seabrook's 1929 travelog of Haiti, The Magic Island, which for most of the Western world was the introduction of the zombie.