• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Boards in center of book instead of behind

21 posts in this topic

I was at DRAGONCON this weekend and found a dealer who placed his boards in the center of the book instead of behind for his key books. I'm guessing he didn't want to have to take the book out of the bag.

Thoughts? Odds of this eventually damaging the book?

He also like to place trading cards in with his books as bonuses...

Couple thoughts...I'd be wary of the corners not being protected as having a book against a larger backboard does. Also I'd think that having a non acid free board inside would yellow the pages more quickly than having the coated side only touching the back cover.

Couple thoughts...I'd be wary of the corners not being protected as having a book against a larger backboard does. Also I'd think that having a non acid free board inside would yellow the pages more quickly than having the coated side only touching the back cover.

+1

Unprotected corners, spine has nothing to rest against. I can see why you would not want to repeatedly handle a big key to inspect the back cover, but I'm not sure I would ever want to store or display like this.

However, some dealers might have justification in doing so - I don't sell in that fashion, so there may be a more legit reason to do so?

The dude at Titan comics here in Dallas insists on putting the board in the middle of the book. When I asked why he said this way you can see both sides without taking the book out. I told him about all the things mentioned here and he said that he's been doing that for decades without any problem. :facepalm:

A show-dealer would probably be better off doing a Mylites/Archives sandwich, with the board outside the mylite. That way he can quickly slide the board or the mylite itself out to view the back. Pricey, but we're talking Keys, right?

The vast majority of books sold at a show are not keys. Most keys would be slabbed.

A show-dealer would probably be better off doing a Mylites/Archives sandwich, with the board outside the mylite. That way he can quickly slide the board or the mylite itself out to view the back. Pricey, but we're talking Keys, right?

The vast majority of books sold at a show are not keys. Most keys would be slabbed.

You'd think so, but I saw tons of keys in Chicago that weren't slabbed.

You'd think so, but I saw tons of keys in Chicago that weren't slabbed.

A VG Spiderman 4 would probably not be slabbed. A Fine+ Fantastic Four 45 or 48... It's not worth it for many lower and mid-grade not so big keys.

The dude at Titan comics here in Dallas insists on putting the board in the middle of the book. When I asked why he said this way you can see both sides without taking the book out. I told him about all the things mentioned here and he said that he's been doing that for decades without any problem. :facepalm:

Maybe that's where I saw this. I know I saw someone do this and I think it was at a convention. Thought it was odd.

So now we have key key books and not so big keys?

Are 30% of SA Marvels now in the top 10%?

Most sellers on these boards are now defining "key" to mean anything they currently have for sale.

That is the best way to risk damage: aside from corners (comic books are delicate, but even with non-US books in other formats it’s a bad practice) when you put back the book in the bag, there is always the risk of the back cover folding, or things like that. Not to mention eventual tape or who knows what… :sick:

So now we have key key books and not so big keys?

Are 30% of SA Marvels now in the top 10%?

Most sellers on these boards are now defining "key" to mean anything they currently have for sale.

lol Unfortunately, I find this to be true more than half the time I click on a sales thread with "Keys" in the title.

I was at DRAGONCON this weekend and found a dealer who placed his boards in the center of the book instead of behind for his key books. I'm guessing he didn't want to have to take the book out of the bag.

Thoughts? Odds of this eventually damaging the book?

I remember reading somewhere (Overstreet maybe?) that putting the board in the center of the book can cause stress and damage to the spine.

I put boards between each of the pages of the book so I can read it without actually touching the pages.

I also tape the back page to a backing board so it always has a nice clean surface to lay on while I read.