• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chilling pseudo-superhero film--"Frailty"

28 posts in this topic

Well, how do you like that?

=================

M. Night Shyamalan (Kinda Sorta) Making 'Unbreakable 2'

Speaking with MTV's Josh Horowitz, Shyamalan revealed that his idea for Unbreakable 2 will now appear in an entirely different film -- the third feature in his Night Chronicles line. "I cannibalized the idea for the sequel to Unbreakable for one of the Night Chronicles. I fleshed it out more and more, and thought, 'This could be a standalone movie,'" he said. "I'll just say it: the third 'Night Chronicles' movie is what would have been the sequel [to Unbreakable]. So now I need to come up with a new idea."

The director admits that the Bruce Willis/Sam Jackson film is the one he gets asked about most often and that he loves it too: "Literally, that's the question I get asked the most anywhere around the world -- if I'm making the sequel to Unbreakable. I love that movie."

Shyamalan has been asked about the sequel for years, and Bruce Willis has often said he's anxious to do it. Shyamalan has been quoted as saying that he was so dismayed by the initial negative reaction to the film, that at the time he felt like a total failure. Over time, people's opinion of the film has changed for the better, but no solid plans for a sequel have been announced.

I'm not the biggest fan of the film (nice concept, poor execution), but I do think it's a good example of a film before its time. I think many of the people involved just didn't get the concept of what a big budget comic book movie should be, quite yet. Despite some previous breakthroughs, people in film were still just figuring it out.

The biggest example: though I love his work in general, I think Sam Jackson was pretty bad in this movie (and done no favors by the way his role was written) -- it's his single worst performance that I'm aware of. I think he was asked to play a Comic Book Villain and at that point in his career he had only a very vague idea of what that meant. Obviously, he caught on quickly over the subsequent decade.