• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

World's Largest comic collection?

64 posts in this topic

So the record belongs not to the guy with the most, but to the guy with the most who applies for the record.

Nice work Guinness

Isn't that the case with all of their records? How would they know about it unless someone brings it to their attention?

So the record belongs not to the guy with the most, but to the guy with the most who applies for the record.

Nice work Guinness

Isn't that the case with all of their records? How would they know about it unless someone brings it to their attention?

You'd think they would do some limited amount of due diligence to verify claims, or just apply some common sense.

I could apply in some new category too, claiming I have the largest widget collection because I have 3. By definition it is the Guinness record because I applied and nobody else did, but that kind of dilutes the meaning of "record". The few times I have checked in on Guinness' activities in recent years, it seems they make up records just to give note to certain topics relevant in pop culture in any given year, for example, "Hm, Jessica Alba is big this year and might sell books. How do we get her in here?" And they make up a record like "biggest box office haul of an actress with 4 letters in their last name".

Not that I really GAS

Quality/Value always beats quantity?

So, if someone, like Jay Leno has the world's largest car collection, you think less of him if he doesn't have a Lamborghini Countach?

Interesting. :whatev:

-Terry

Depends, does he want the Lambo?

Lamborghini is a niche, not everyone wants one.

This guy is on record as wanting an AF15, if he stopped buying drek, he could have got one.

If I'm a car collector and want a Lamborghini, but keep buying volkswagon bugs from the junk yard, then Im probably not a very good collector.

theres a big difference between not being able to afford a grail, not wanting a grail, and wanting a grail, being able to afford it, but not getting it anyway

Quality/Value always beats quantity?

So, if someone, like Jay Leno has the world's largest car collection, you think less of him if he doesn't have a Lamborghini Countach?

Interesting. :whatev:

-Terry

Depends, does he want the Lambo?

Lamborghini is a niche, not everyone wants one.

This guy is on record as wanting an AF15, if he stopped buying drek, he could have got one.

If I'm a car collector and want a Lamborghini, but keep buying volkswagon bugs from the junk yard, then Im probably not a very good collector.

theres a big difference between not being able to afford a grail, not wanting a grail, and wanting a grail, being able to afford it, but not getting it anyway

Leno does have the Lambo by the way. Has for many many years.

I doubt many people, if any, have over 94,000 different comics. I once had about 100,000 comics but that included many multiples. Having a copy of 94000 different books is pretty impressive.

In any event, the bar has been set. Let's see if anyone can raise it.