• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

World's Largest comic collection?

64 posts in this topic

I doubt many people, if any, have over 94,000 different comics. I once had about 100,000 comics but that included many multiples. Having a copy of 94000 different books is pretty impressive.

In any event, the bar has been set. Let's see if anyone can raise it.

If I tried to raise the bar my girlfriend would probably bring that bar right back down over my head. 94,000 comics take up a lot of space.

This guy is on record as wanting an AF15, if he stopped buying drek, he could have got one.

Maybe -- and I know this is shocking -- he really likes the stuff you call dreck.

I have thousands of comics in my own collection. Probably 10,000 or so. I buy a lot -- both new and old -- every month. I really want a Showcase #4.

Should I just stop buying all the other things I like to collect and read just to save up for one other comic?

This guy is on record as wanting an AF15, if he stopped buying drek, he could have got one.

Maybe -- and I know this is shocking -- he really likes the stuff you call dreck.

I have thousands of comics in my own collection. Probably 10,000 or so. I buy a lot -- both new and old -- every month. I really want a Showcase #4.

Should I just stop buying all the other things I like to collect and read just to save up for one other comic?

Exactly. I want AF15 but still won't trade my entire collection for it.

Is he on this forum?

So the record belongs not to the guy with the most, but to the guy with the most who applies for the record.

Nice work Guinness

yup, there are definitely people over on CPG with more books than that. Completionists with every Marvel/Timely ever made, etc.

So the record belongs not to the guy with the most, but to the guy with the most who applies for the record.

Nice work Guinness

yup, there are definitely people over on CPG with more books than that. Completionists with every Marvel/Timely ever made, etc.

Marvel/Timely/Atlas has published nowhere near 90,000 comics in their history.

Remember, for a decade or so, they were just publishing 15 comics a month.

They published eight a month for several years.

If someone has more individual books, let them come forward and get it verified.

Until then, it's another- my cousin has every comic- first spiderman, first superman, all in the original plastic bags they came in.

That is an amazing amount of different issues.

I probably have 25000 different issues and 35000 comics in total. when my reorganization/ box replacement project is finished I hope to have them all fully sorted, organized and stored and accessible in about 100 boxes in 3 closets taking over 200 sq ft of floor space 6+ boxes high.

He has 2.5 times as many.

This is only one closet with about 10000 books at the time

625_zpsd33d77a7.jpg

Nice work Guinness

The Atlas Implosion happened after Martin Goodman made a bad decision to change distributors. Prior to that, his publishing technique was to completely glut and saturate the market with whatever type of comics were popular. His method to deal with competition was to overrun the newsstand with his product. When he had to go hat in hand to DC to secure distribution, he got the deal only by agreeing to publish a handful of titles per month, effectively shutting down his sales tactic of almost 20 years. While certainly not 90k, the total amount of comics produced by TimelyAtlas/Marvel in its existence is probably a lot higher than you think.

I would have to see how many unique books I have, but the number is in the 10s. Maybe as many as 60.

Like I said...94k isn't THAT difficult, if you have space and money.

I have around 56-57K individual books (plus 5-6K multiples) and the guy from the CBR article has 14 years on me.

So I could probably catch up when I'm at his age. :grin:

But like RMA says, having 100K individual comic books is really not that difficult, if you have money to spare and space to store them.

Nice work Guinness

GCD has 53,369 comics attributed to Marvel/Atlas/Timely in it as of July. I also didnt say those completionists only had Marvel Comics....

GCD lists 43124 issues for Marvel/Timely/Atlas.

EDIT: and 43970 for DC.

My number is based on a direct query of the source database files, not through their site. It's higher than what you have posted.

I went to a guys house who had an entire basement full of comics, I couldn't even begin to guess how many. His dad bought out a old dealer at a flee market in the mid 70's. he showed me at least a complete run of almost any book I wanted to see. It was crazy. Only problem was that most of it was low grade, again, flee market stuff. But still , unbelievable. His collection would have put this one to shame. He sold alot of it in the early 90's when comics were crazy. I am sure I will never see something like that again. I don't know how many I have, it takes up about 35 short boxes if i had to guess.