• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

At least Heritage has the stones to follow through their auctions to the end

25 posts in this topic

I am getting SOOOO sick of people getting in the ear of Ebay sellers, getting them to take auctions down hours or minutes after putting them up.

YES, I get that it defeats snipers, snipe services, and focused collectors...

But I'm sick of having to watch Ebay and fall all over myself to advise a seller to NOT end an auction early, or to allow me to be included in off-Ebay offers... often within minutes of an auction going up. Who has the time?

(I've only engaged in off-Ebay bidding once it's already been initiated by another bidder, by the way)

I get that it's still within Ebay rules, but, coming from someone who tries to follow some semblance of Gentleman's Rules, I still think the practice is underhanded and sneaky. Mean words, not given lightly, but I'll stand by it.

Well, not this time. SOLD.

"'Error' in the listing..." you say?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAL-BUSCEMA-IAN-AKIN-GARVEY-original-art-ROM-45-pg-26-1983-11x16-Splash-/400770709238?ssPageName=ADME:SS:SS:US:1120

ah, no. SOLD.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1159879&GSub=131799

EDIT TO ADD:...and I note that my comment has been removed from the CAF listing. Their right, I suppose; I wasn't insulting, or said anything that wasn't straight-up factual.

If you want to watch an Ebay item, put in a placeholder bid - if the seller chooses to end the auction, they'll have to pay a FVF on it even if they cancel the listing.

The title not strictly speaking true...

I have approached HA and other auction houses, made a strong offer and the owner did decide to sell it for a guaranteed price (?maybe above auction price, who knows), so everyone will do it. One in the hand vs two in the bush.

Of course its not Ebay or HA ...its the owner of the book who gets to decide what they want to do with it. Plenty of times people say they just want the auction to run and thats fine, they do and sometimes do better than an offer other times worse...In fact I can say that every single major auction site has done that with me when I made a strong offer

People own the stuff and can do with it what they want,

Well, not this time. SOLD.

"'Error' in the listing..." you say?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAL-BUSCEMA-IAN-AKIN-GARVEY-original-art-ROM-45-pg-26-1983-11x16-Splash-/400770709238?ssPageName=ADME:SS:SS:US:1120

ah, no. SOLD.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1159879&GSub=131799

EDIT TO ADD:...and I note that my comment has been removed from the CAF listing. Their right, I suppose; I wasn't insulting, or said anything that wasn't straight-up factual.

Who is "High Quality Comics"?

If you want to watch an Ebay item, put in a placeholder bid - if the seller chooses to end the auction, they'll have to pay a FVF on it even if they cancel the listing.

The seller will just cancel all the bids before ending the auction to avoid the FVF.

People own the stuff and can do with it what they want,

There can be no argument to that statement, of course.

But I've always felt that when an item is on a public auction site, potential bidders should be able to count on it's being available through the stated timeframe of the auction. That unreliability is what I object to. If the seller is open to offers, make the auction so. Truth In Advertising.

There have been a few auctions where I knew the seller would be getting offers, and I felt the need to be a busybody and email the seller and encourage them to see the auction through (making them more money by doing so). I didn't in this case, as the seller seemed to be experienced enough; my mistake. Never again.

I don't think it's as sinister of a practice as the OP makes it out to be. Annoying, yes.

Never called it sinister. On the part of the buyer, a *richard* move, yes. So, we are in accord.

I don't think it's as sinister of a practice as the OP makes it out to be. Annoying, yes.

Never called it sinister. On the part of the buyer, a *richard* move, yes. So, we are in accord.

I'm not a big spender, far from it, so if I thought I could take something down for less... or even better have a shot at something with my best offer that I know I am otherwise highly likely to get outbid on then I'll take it rather than have no chance at all. There isn't a universal moral code about buying things on ebay, anyone that thinks there is is just kidding themselves or doesn't know how eBay works... the buyer in your example probably simply wanted the art more than anyone else that was looking at it, got in there and grabbed it with both hands. Good for them.

There were no bids on the auction, the seller didn't even have to take it down (except they didn't want to pay fees) because ebay allows the seller to put a BIN price on any auction with no bids. Doesn't that mean everyone should assume that the piece is fair game until bid on considering what is actively encouraged by eBay?

There isn't a universal moral code about buying things on ebay, anyone that thinks there is is just kidding themselves or doesn't know how eBay works... the buyer in your example probably simply wanted the art more than anyone else that was looking at it, got in there and grabbed it with both hands. Good for them.

The buyer was subverting the system and you know it. Had he played by Ebay's Stated Rules he would have had to outbid me and who knows how many others.

You can say 'good for him then' if you want, and we won't agree. I dismays me greatly that I will in future have to also resort to these same tactics to have a chance to compete.

There were no bids on the auction, the seller didn't even have to take it down (except they didn't want to pay fees) because ebay allows the seller to put a BIN price on any auction with no bids. Doesn't that mean everyone should assume that the piece is fair game until bid on considering what is actively encouraged by eBay?

There were at least two bids on the auction in the AM when I first saw it, as well as plenty of watchers, probably more by the time it was removed. The auction displays no bids because the seller cancelled them. So probably at least two other people as annoyed as I am.

There isn't a universal moral code about buying things on ebay, anyone that thinks there is is just kidding themselves or doesn't know how eBay works... the buyer in your example probably simply wanted the art more than anyone else that was looking at it, got in there and grabbed it with both hands. Good for them.

The buyer was subverting the system and you know it. Had he played by Ebay's Stated Rules he would have had to outbid me and who knows how many others.

There were at least two bids on the auction in the AM when I first saw it, as well as plenty of watchers, probably more by the time it was removed. The auction displays no bids because the seller cancelled them. So probably at least two other people as annoyed as I am.

My misunderstanding. doh!

I still think that the system eBay has in place encourages this kind of thing, so I just expect it having also been on the receiving end.

Not making excuses but sometimes you have to place a bid just so the seller doesn't get cold feet and close the auction early. Not saying its right but from a sellers POV, if there are no bids and someone shoots them an offer, most times the listing will be pulled.

Placeholder bids mean squat, I'm afraid. See above.

There's a Q&A on the Ebay page regarding ending the auction early; don't feel quite right to reproduce it here, but I wonder who 'Vera' is?

You can say 'good for him then' if you want, and we won't agree. I dismays me greatly that I will in future have to also resort to these same tactics to have a chance to compete.

It dismays me that you are complaining about the very behavior you are planning on exhibiting yourself, "in future". Either give the people engaged in this behavior the same leeway you are planning to give yourself or don't engage in that behavior. It is the very definition of hypocrite - to complain that something is bad or wrong and then to do it yourself.

Others are doing something you find distasteful, don't do it yourself. There is always more art. If you think it is a richard move, do you want to look at your art and think "had to be a richard to get that."

It dismays me that you are complaining about the very behavior you are planning on exhibiting yourself, "in future". Either give the people engaged in this behavior the same leeway you are planning to give yourself or don't engage in that behavior. It is the very definition of hypocrite - to complain that something is bad or wrong and then to do it yourself.

Others are doing something you find distasteful, don't do it yourself. There is always more art. If you think it is a richard move, do you want to look at your art and think "had to be a richard to get that."

Your point is very fair. Thank you.

To clarify: in future, I plan to contact sellers to alert them to the possibility of buyers asking them to bring down an auction early, and, should they consider that, to please allow me to compete in that outside-Ebay process. This usually convinces a seller to keep the auction up, ruining the party for off-Ebay buyers.

That's what I have occasionally done in past, and, as I said earlier, I skipped it this time and it cost me.

Your welcome. Glad you took it in the spirit it was offered (that can be rare around here).

BTW, what art are all you people buying? I used to buy on ebay like a crack fiend (seriously, think Chris Rock in New Jack City), but I don't think this EVER happened to me. I buy modern mostly, Starman and the like, and don't recall this happening to me.