• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any opinions on LOSH #1?

26 posts in this topic

Well, just finished and I wasn't overly impressed. I don't know if I like the whole 31st century idea. I don't know much about LOSH in the past, but I don't think this is the series for me. I will probably not continue to read it.

LOSH titles always failed to grab me....don't know if it's the writers or just that it's so isolated from the rest of the DCU but whenever i've tried to pick it up and read regularily, it just doesn't fly for me.

They generally have some good characters, but the 'x' factor that grabs me just isn't there usually.....the cover art, however for the first 3 issues looks pretty darn good. Esp #2.

I'm not planning on delving into this latest attempt.

I grabbed it because of the creative team and the fact that its so isolated from the rest of the DC universe. I'm not a DC collector, so when a book like this comes out I'm always willing to try it out.

Haven't read it though.

The Teen Titans crossover and Legion/TeenTitans issue got me into it...#1 was pretty good as a set up...I'm looking forward to 2 and 3

I missed that. Is that one crossover or two? Was it Waid/Kitson, or a different creative team?

The Teen Titans crossover and Legion/TeenTitans issue got me into it...#1 was pretty good as a set up...I'm looking forward to 2 and 3

I missed that. Is that one crossover or two? Was it Waid/Kitson, or a different creative team?

Part 1 of the croosover was in Teen Titans #16 with the regular creative team of Johns & McKone. Part 2 of the crossovewr was in the TT/Legion one-shot special by Johns, Waid, Ivan Reis, Joe Prado, and Marc Campos.

Used to really love the original SA Legion run back in the Adventure books. Unfortunately, none of the reboots over the last 35 years have come close to matching it. frown.gif

Used to really love the original SA Legion run back in the Adventure books. Unfortunately, none of the reboots over the last 35 years have come close to matching it. frown.gif

I'd extend that into Grell's 70s run. LOSH was my favorite comic after Fantastic Four and had me scouring the back issue bins, on a very limited budget I might add, looking for back issues. I was finally able to get an Adventure Comics #247 as payment for working in a used bookstore for a couple of days cleaning up used paperbacks and sweeping floors. Too bad my stepmother made me sell my collection shortly after that for a grand total of $7...

Jim

I'd agree with that-- not sure if the Bates/Cockrum/Grell run was lumped into the "re-boot" category since they preserved the Shooter/Swan continuity from Adventure, but in any case, those books are well worth checking out. Superboy #200 was my first exposure to the Legion-- loved Dave Cockrum's character designs. 893applaud-thumb.gif Cary Bates' stories were not the equal of the Jim Shooter earlier stuff I later discovered, but then Shooter himself returned for a few issues before leaving for Marvel.

Anyone who hasn't checked out Superboy 197 to about 220 ought to do so. thumbsup2.gif

I've always thought Legion could be a great vehicle. So many widely disparate characters and the sci-fi milieu would be a great vehicle for a writer who could handle the possibilities for soap-opera plus great action. A nice, clean futuristic look for an artist to dig into. I got into the Levitz/Giffen books back when, but it never really became a top-tier book. If it was possible to have another array of books like X, Batman or Superman, this would be it. You could have your galactic superheroics a la Authority, Science Police crime like a GCPD, and the human interaction parts like Box Office Poison or something. Tight continuity (a tough nut seeing as how it's already convoluted) and quality work could really make it go. I got the first issue of Legion Lost, never actually read it, and missed out on the rest of the series. I was also thinking of picking this up in a slow week.

I have not cared for the Legion since Crisis.

They were my favorite SA DC book,the Grell run was super,The reintro of Darksied was brillant and the first dozen or so of the Baxter series was great.The Death of Superboy crossover is still one of my all-time favorites,but after that they lost me.Post-Crisis,with no Superboy,no Mon-el,ect,ect,I just gave up.L.E.G.I.O.N and Legionares made no sense to me. This first issue did nothing to rekindle the old flame.I'll pick up the next few issues in the bargin bins,I think.

Got a question since I haven't read a LOSH comic since the Grell issues...

Wasn't the Grell run still consistent with the Adventure Comics issues? When did DC start screwing with their history to make it so convoluted? And why? I've come to understand it was much more than just phasing Superboy out...

Jim

I think it all came from the Superboy problem and John Byrne's reboot of the Man of Steel. Byrne was insistent that Superman only developed his powers later in life, he had a normal Kansas boyhood, hence no Super-boy. So they write Superboy out of continuity, and involve the Time Trapper and pocket universes. sleeping.gif Then they realize that "Mon-El" now makes no sense, since he was named as if he were Superboy's cousin. Meanwhile Supergirl is problematic since she never existed post-Crisis, but they apparently want to rescue those Silver Age stories where Superboy, Supergirl, Mon-El appeared, so they introduce retcon replacement characters to fill those roles kinda sorta.

Meanwhile Keith Giffen and the Bierbaums do their grim & gritty "Five Years Later" run, and to try to have their cake & eat it too they introduce a second group of younger characters, the Legionnaires, who may or may not be clones of the originals. yeahok.gif This whole mess collapsed under its own weight, and got re-booted in Zero Hour, but someone else will have to pick up the thread from there, as I was long gone by this point. frustrated.gif