• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crossed

31 posts in this topic

That's an interesting article. I usually can only stomach so much Crossed. Parts of that book are simply vile and I get that it's meant to shock... but it's not always something that I can enjoy. Moore on board is going to make me pick it up though.

As for the film? Isn't that old news that they were filming webisodes ages ago?

It is much more likely that the Walking Dead success coupled with the recent Preacher news pushed someone to buy the movie rights to crossed. Personally I don't see the book ever translating since the point seems to be shock and awe to the extreme. I was on board for the original series including ALL the variants and owned most in SS including a bunch of 9.9's.

I should have gone with my gut when I saw the "They can't cross the salt" double spread. Ridiculous. I never felt any emotional attachment to any of the characters. Horsecock........really?

It is much more likely that the Walking Dead success coupled with the recent Preacher news pushed someone to buy the movie rights to crossed. Personally I don't see the book ever translating since the point seems to be shock and awe to the extreme. I was on board for the original series including ALL the variants and owned most in SS including a bunch of 9.9's.

I should have gone with my gut when I saw the "They can't cross the salt" double spread. Ridiculous. I never felt any emotional attachment to any of the characters. Horsecock........really?

It's ok... speculators don't read 'em :kidaround:

A film done right would have to be NC-17 which would gurantee it doesn't make any money.

So the best we could hope to see is an R rated version which probably wouldn't feel like Crossed at all.

Pretty sure they could do the first arc plenty of justice with a rated R film. The first arc is much more about the people than the gore - in my opinion, removing some of the over top splashes would probably have improved that work.

I think there is a small, small shot someone tries to make this movie. I would not give it good odds though. I think the backlash against the source material would be massive and would be their largest potential problem, not the content of a film covering Ennis' first arc.

It's ok... speculators don't read 'em :kidaround:

lol

Funny because it's true.

Well I know I'm in the minority but I'm definitely a speculator and definitely into anything Mr. Ennis puts out. I remember I didn't start until a few issues in, and then going back and re-ordering anything Diamond had available (all the different #1s and 0 issues).

I've mentioned this numerous times on these boards and I totally agree with what Bragnet just said about that splash in issue 1--I for the life of me I can't even look at it today, it was ridiculous, absolutely over the top. But as I've said before, take away that splash, nothing compares to that (as far as shock value),for the rest of the original series (PLEASE don't debate me on Family Values or Psychopath, that wasn't Garth Ennis). Personally I think Horsecock was hilarious, and following Cindy and her son and whether or not they'd make it--I don't remotely care about anyone in WD the way I did about the two of them.

I get it, the series isn't for everyone. But sometimes you have to read between the lines. As far as storyline, it would make a great movie, but it will undoubtedly have to be toned down. I know this is the ultimate fanboy in me, but wouldn't it be nice to see Ennis where he belongs at the top of the heap? I, for one, am cheering for him.

Jay

I know this is the ultimate fanboy in me, but wouldn't it be nice to see Ennis where he belongs at the top of the heap? I, for one, am cheering for him.

Jay

I think he should be respected for going out and doing the art that he wants to do. He writes the stories that he wants to write, and I respect that a great deal.

As far as being near the top of the heap - that's always subjective. I think he is already near the top of the heap for a great many of us, myself included.

Oh I agree, as fanboys we know where Garth belongs.

What I'm saying is my wife's best friend, who has never looked at a comic book, knows who Robert Kirkman is because of course Walking Dead is must watch TV for her and she sees him sometimes on that terrible after show they have (somebody strangle the host, PLEASE). She wouldn't know Garth Ennis if he was standing next to her. I'd love that to change, is what I meant.

Jay

Ah, understood. Though I'm surprised Kirkman has much actual name recognition. I'm more of an Invincible guy than a WD guy so there is that.

Anyway, I feel that way about a few guys, but even past Ennis is Mike Carey. I think he's done a lot of great work over the years and even in the industry he doesn't seem to be really highly respected or talked about. Despite the fact he has, basically, been rock solid for ~ 20 years on a lot of the content that he has created that he had a good deal of actual control over.