• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Auction screw-up ... books returned. CLOSED

109 posts in this topic

I think I may had gotten myself in some sort of "Catch-22" situation with my auction item that I had won as a high bidder this weekend. See, I was bidding on couple of lots where there were lots of comic books. Able Auctions was the place in Vancouver here and they had a huge auction with over 450+ lots. Locals would know what I'm talking of.

Anyway, I got 2 lots and went there to pay in cash on Sunday, picked up my comics while there was an staff assistant with me to get them. Under their watch - I did everything proper with rules followed. With my receipt copy signed and stamped, and the security guy had checked me and the comics to be sure I have the correct lots.

My friend was also there with me, he was curious about this auction place so I explained to him about how he can bid on comics for cheap... :blahblah: So he did had saw what happened to the end.

Of the two lots - one is a short comic box full with Teen Titans set, and the other lot is a group of SA Spider-Man low grade copies... all comics were SEALED by hot sealing method. If you know what I mean? In auction place - many SA/BA/CA comics were storaged inside plastic bags then were "hot sealed" so people cannot open these comics.

This is the interesting part. My friend and I went home by bus with my comic box lugged all the way. Upon arrived home - I begin slit open the sealed bags to pull out the comics.

See, at the auction place... all sealed bagged comics only have the issues to see front and back. Any extra issues sandwiched between front and back cannot be seen. in my case - the Spider-Man comics were only visible, along with one SA Avengers #25 UK edition to see. I had no idea what other issues unseen between these books. I thought by under impression they were extras throw in with Spider-Man books as part of the "package deal". I said to my friend - "maybe more UK editions"

No, was I ever wrong! Yes, some more UK editions but these unseen comics were not part of my lot. They were separate lots - in fact, I discovered that there were 2 extra hidden lots sandwiched in my lot! I spotted the 2 sticker labels with different number. My friend and I were bewitched and confused - "what the heck is going on?!" we said. That was a total surprise! :o

That is where I need to ask you on legal advise. I believe somehow one of the staff members made a huge goof-up screwed mistake.

Should I inform the staff about their screw-up? After all, it's their fault that caused this auction all messed up. No, make that THREE auctions all screwed up. Because one is mine and the other 2 lots were 2 other guys - one auction each guy. One is from Ontario Canada, another from U.S. I had to look up in past ended auctions to find out. I felt bad but at same time wondering how to explain that? ???

What should I do? Their rules said "Items are sold as is where is" followed by "No guarantees/warranties/refunds or exchanges". Right on my reicpit as printed there.

To start with those other people are not going to have to pay for their lots since they never got them. So they didn't "lose" money.

Personally I would probably call them and offer for them to come over and pick them up. I would hate to think the money came out of some worker's pocket for making a mistake. The other way to look at it is what would you want someone to do if you were in the position of those other bidders. Would you want someone to return your lots?

Just be a good guy and take the two extra lots back to the auction house.

No lawyer needed.

Ditto.

It may feel like finding extra treasure tucked inside some garage sale buy, but it's not the same. A delivery person screwed up a couple of deliveries. Make the call and let them know where they are.

Return the books you didn't pay for.

+1 It's not complicated.

Or is it? :think:

It's as complicated as Sucker Punch is good.

Which is none. None more black.

Or is it complicated as those magical beer bottles?

332817_2349482008934_1464400676_o.jpg

So as I read this, the only thing I can get out of it is one of two things:

1. You want legal advice to determine if you could possibly be in trouble - in other words, you don't want anyone to think you somehow stole these items.

2. You want legal advice to tell you that you're within your rights to keep these items.

Hopefully you're asking about the first option - I think if you pick up the phone and call the auction house and explain what you've just explained in your post, then you'll be fine.

Sometimes it not a matter of what's legal, but doing the right thing. Do the right thing.
Yes - make sure to post your ethical dilemma not just here, but on facebook, as well as other suitable places on the internet. ;)

If the extra books were lots that someone else bid on and won, the only thing to do is to return them. If there were extra books that were not part of a lot, you could keep them.

I posted here of an auction I won a couple of years ago. Bought a framed Mickey mantle 18x24 framed autographed photo and when I went to change the frame there was similar Joe Di photo beneath it. As that photo was not part of the auction, I had no problem keeping it.

To start with those other people are not going to have to pay for their lots since they never got them. So they didn't "lose" money.

Personally I would probably call them and offer for them to come over and pick them up. I would hate to think the money came out of some worker's pocket for making a mistake. The other way to look at it is what would you want someone to do if you were in the position of those other bidders. Would you want someone to return your lots?

True - I agree with that. What I will do is sent email message to them with an explanation on what happened. And see what they have to said. The problem is about their terms what I had read. That's what I am wondering.

In all honestly, I believed this auction lot was fouled all from the start until now. I don't like how it unfold to me.

It could be much worse... what if the other guy out of province got this lot with all the books? I would be out of money on my side. That is a scary thought. The auction house wouldn't be able to get the books back.