• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Auction screw-up ... books returned. CLOSED

109 posts in this topic

You're freaking out over incompetence, some internal screw up. Like it's sinister or something.

If you see labeled Lot numbers just compare them to the catalog and keep what's yours. Return the others.

Online visual of lots - Sunday September 14th 2014, 9:30am (EXPIRED)

Word doc download - Comic Cat1.doc

Lot #106 - AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #23,27,29,35 & 100 (1965-71)

20519610_1m.jpg

OP called out "Lot 106" as one of his. I wonder if there are pics. hm

ok, that doesn't help my 8 inches hypothesis

You're freaking out over incompetence, some internal screw up. Like it's sinister or something.

If you see labeled Lot numbers just compare them to the catalog and keep what's yours. Return the others.

Online visual of lots - Sunday September 14th 2014, 9:30am (EXPIRED)

Word doc download - Comic Cat1.doc

Lot #106 - AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #23,27,29,35 & 100 (1965-71)

20519610_1m.jpg

OP called out "Lot 106" as one of his. I wonder if there are pics. hm

ok, that doesn't help my 8 inches hypothesis

I was thinking he bid and won on the floor. After re deciphering the op and the bid history on that lot.....Im wrong. They need to be returned.

Why is this even a question? Return the books, some guy, possibly another boardie is waiting to find out where his books are.

I had a similar situation on eBay over the summer.

It was an older GI Joe vehicle:

I bought something, it came packaged with a few extra parts.

I shrugged, as the owner said it came "as is". Maybe he didn't do his homework and switched out and in various parts.

I looked through my vehicle and saw that it was complete. I looked at his other auctions and noticed that the parts belonged to another lot that he was selling.

I contacted the seller and told him that I had them and would ship them back. All he had to do was reimburse me for the shipping. (I thought that was a fair request.)

He wrote, how happy he was because he was a nervous wreck after he could not figure out who might have received them and the other buyer REALLY wanted these parts.

Sometimes... you do what you should in the idea that one day you would hope someone would do the same for you... even if there is no reward to be gained other than doing the 'right' thing.

Return the books.

I've gotten extra books from the boards before - most of the time they are freebies, but it never hurts to check. A couple of times they were accidents, and I needed to ship them back - no problem.

I've gotten extra books from the boards before - most of the time they are freebies, but it never hurts to check. A couple of times they were accidents, and I needed to ship them back - no problem.

One time storms sent me a some really nice FFs by accident. I thought they were freebies until i realized they were worth more than my entire order lol

Right. Thats what i meant earlier. If he was bidding on X amount of books and paid for X amount of books and received X amount of books they are his regardless of how they are marked. Now if he was bidding on X books and received X+Y after only paying for X he should return them. Its unclear from his language which is the case.

Not nearly as cut and dry as everyone is making it out to be.

Parts of the opening post were pretty 'cut and dry'. He looked up the stickered Lot #s of the two he unknowingly took delivery of and discovered in his possession. And he understands who won those Lots, and that they don't belong with him.

I discovered that there were 2 extra hidden lots sandwiched in my lot! I spotted the 2 sticker labels with different number.

Because one is mine and the other 2 lots were 2 other guys - one auction each guy. One is from Ontario Canada, another from U.S. I had to look up in past ended auctions to find out.

It sounds to me like buying a bulk lot and the dealer needing some of them back (after you get home) because he already sold them but put them in the wrong box.

Of the two lots - one is a short comic box full with Teen Titans set, and the other lot is a group of SA Spider-Man low grade copies... all comics were SEALED by hot sealing method. If you know what I mean? In auction place - many SA/BA/CA comics were storaged inside plastic bags then were "hot sealed" so people cannot open these comics.

This is the interesting part. My friend and I went home by bus with my comic box lugged all the way. Upon arrived home - I begin slit open the sealed bags to pull out the comics.

See, at the auction place... all sealed bagged comics only have the issues to see front and back. Any extra issues sandwiched between front and back cannot be seen. in my case - the Spider-Man comics were only visible, along with one SA Avengers #25 UK edition to see. I had no idea what other issues unseen between these books. I thought by under impression they were extras throw in with Spider-Man books as part of the "package deal". I said to my friend - "maybe more UK editions"

Clearly he viewed the lots already sealed. Whether he thought they were freebies, more UK editions or gold bars doesnt matter. I would assume the quantity of the books impacted his bid. What if 75% of that shortbox were books that were not supposed to be in the lot he was bidding on? Just give it all back? Eat it for the auction house.

On the total flip side of the coin if he did have to give the books back wouldnt the auction house be responsible for issuing a refund due to them misrepresenting the lots that the OP was bidding on?

Ok people,

The picture showing the SA spideys are indeed was what I thought I was bidding on. If you will notice in this photo - they were not yet put in sealed bags. That happened later in the sealing process which the online auction never showed.

When I come by there to pick up the lot #106 on the table. I did notice there were more books sandwiched. the staff lady beside me and I had asked her if the lot is correct with the books sealed? The label on the lot was clearly marked "#106" - no other labels seen anywhere on front or back. She said yes and you had already paid for it, take it with you. Who was I to argue? So I did what she said - I took it.

Anyway, that is all set aside. whatever I was thinking or suspected - were all ruled out. I had gotten an reply from the auction head office. I learned out that I was not the only one with the screw-up lot. That's all what I was told. My guess there were likely other cases with mixed-up lots?

The books are going back to the office on Saturday - by request from them. All of them and I will get credit for the next auction to use. the extra lots are going forward to the true owners. This is the head office's decision.

So that is what I will do exactly what they asked. No problem at all, then the case presented here will be closed after all is done.

Unless there are problems with those spideys unclear from the pics $150 for the group seems like a pretty good price though.

Yes, I agree - the spideys themselves for the price were good. But now with the head office's decision that I have to return all books back. I have to abide with theirs. At least - with credit given back to me in my account - I might have a chance for the next auction sometime in near future.

Unless there are problems with those spideys unclear from the pics $150 for the group seems like a pretty good price though.

Yes, I agree - the spideys themselves for the price were good. But now with the head office's decision that I have to return all books back. I have to abide with theirs. At least - with credit given back to me in my account - I might have a chance for the next auction sometime in near future.

Why are they taking the books that you rightfully won back?

frankly i don't see why they can dictate that you return the spideys too -- you paid for them. of course, they can prevent you from bidding in the future if they want to press the issue, so it might be worth it to play along. honestly, they should be giving you an extra credit for doing the right thing here.

Something smells fishy. They can't demand you send back a lot you rightfully paid for. And why would they even ask for it. You stated you wanted to send everything back before you got the response back. So are they taking them all back because that is what you requested they do?