• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cover Analysis: X-Men 1 (1963)

43 posts in this topic

Reading those first issues where Kirby was the artist it's obvious that was a side project for him-the art is very sparse compared to regular kirby. I think this may have been one of the books that was plotted solely by stan.

Iceman cant see jack mess with all that snow covering his face he should be stumbling around constantly. How he constructs ice bridges that dont shatter and somehow project him forward is a mystery. Jean Grey was the helpless female like sue storm, who has a force field but was always getting grabbed by thugs like an ignoramus. If I had a force field no one would ever grab me.

couple things came to mind this morning that I know someone on here has the answers to:

1. Does cyclops have magentic lasers? Because it doesn't look like magneto is blocking it off with anything physical. and is Cyclops actually resting/leaning on the magnetic forcefield?

2. When you're iceman, and you tell yourself "let me throw some snowballs at him", do you really think that its going to cause major damage? and is his aim off or do those snowballs have metal in them as well? How did it end up on magnetos back and not front?

3. Did angel always have a bazooka launcher/rpg? Is that a bazooka launcer/rpg??

4. What is beast swinging from?

5. Is Jean Grey wearing any underwear under that skin tight outfit?

675191.jpg

Added one for you.

Well, at least I want to know anyway.

Good observations. I have owned that comic twice and read it when it first came out. I never thought of those things.

I expected the analysis to say that it looked a lot like the Avengers #1 cover with the villain in the front and the heroes in mid-ground, all facing the reader. Your evaluation (needless to say) is far more interesting.

I like the cover to X-Men #1.

It does a good job of introducing the characters and alluding to the story contained in the book. Isn't that the purpose of the cover to a first issue?

The five main characters are clearly shown and their abilities highlighted - except for Marvel Girl. The villain and his powers are shown. We know who is fighting who and what to expect inside, all in just a quick glance. Clarity. The X-Men, who look rather young, are going to fight Magneto.

Here's my example of a poor cover. It's a number one.

Say you know nothing about these characters, they are brand new and the title is brand new; what does this cover tell you about the characters, their abilities, or the story inside the book?

ALMOST NOTHING. One guy flies. A gal has flaming fists. What does the cover suggest happens inside the book? They are going to walk down a hall. I can't wait to read about that. :/

edit: oh, and the main character wears knee pads :grin:

<a  href=avengers_zpsab595a75.jpg' alt='avengers_

It does a good job of introducing the characters and alluding to the story contained in the book. Isn't that the purpose of the cover to a first issue?

The five main characters are clearly shown and their abilities highlighted - except for Marvel Girl. The villain and his powers are shown. We know who is fighting who and what to expect inside, all in just a quick glance. Clarity. The X-Men, who look rather young, are going to fight Magneto.

Say you know nothing about these characters, they are brand new and the title is brand new; what does this cover tell you about the characters, their abilities, or the story inside the book?

ALMOST NOTHING. One guy flies. A gal has flaming fists. What does the cover suggest happens inside the book? They are going to walk down a hall. I can't wait to read about that. :/

That's it…I'm buying one!!!

couple things came to mind this morning that I know someone on here has the answers to:

1. Does cyclops have magentic lasers? Because it doesn't look like magneto is blocking it off with anything physical. and is Cyclops actually resting/leaning on the magnetic forcefield?

Because Magnets.

2. When you're iceman, and you tell yourself "let me throw some snowballs at him", do you really think that its going to cause major damage? and is his aim off or do those snowballs have metal in them as well? How did it end up on magnetos back and not front?

The snow balls are distracting and can blind you momentarily if they hit you in the face. As for the other questions: Because magnets and because magnets.

3. Did angel always have a bazooka launcher/rpg? Is that a bazooka launcer/rpg??

No. And no, but it involves magnets.

4. What is beast swinging from?

He's swinging from magnets.

how+do+they+work.jpg

Reading those first issues where Kirby was the artist it's obvious that was a side project for him-the art is very sparse compared to regular kirby. I think this may have been one of the books that was plotted solely by stan.

Iceman cant see jack mess with all that snow covering his face he should be stumbling around constantly. How he constructs ice bridges that dont shatter and somehow project him forward is a mystery. Jean Grey was the helpless female like sue storm, who has a force field but was always getting grabbed by thugs like an ignoramus. If I had a force field no one would ever grab me.

Interesting thing about Jean Grey and Sue Storm, respectively their original powers were telekinesis and invisibility only. Telepathy and force fields were added later on. In Sue's case it was more than two years later, publication wise. If I remember correctly, Jean's telepathic powers weren't mentioned until fairly late in the original X-Men run.

apparently you CAN judge a book by its cover

apparently you CAN judge a book by its cover

I haven't read the book, so I have no idea of the interior quality, or what the story's about.

The cover gives no indication of either, it's redeeming factor would be it might make a nice piece of Original Art.

Which, I suppose, is what a surprising number of comic book covers are created for nowadays.

675191.jpg

X-men was one of my favorite titles when I was collecting SA runs. It still warms my cockles when I see #1.

I had no problem accepting the early stories as being written for kids. Still, I did too ponder upon these questions.

1. Does cyclops have magentic lasers? Because it doesn't look like magneto is blocking it off with anything physical. and is Cyclops actually resting/leaning on the magnetic forcefield? I always thought that Magneto was using something else that his magnetism could affect to create the shield.

2. When you're iceman, and you tell yourself "let me throw some snowballs at him", do you really think that its going to cause major damage? and is his aim off or do those snowballs have metal in them as well? How did it end up on magnetos back and not front? I just took that as Kirby needing to fit everything in. I always did think Iceman was lame.

3. Did angel always have a bazooka launcher/rpg? Is that a bazooka launcer/rpg?? I always thought they were fighting in a scrap yard and that was a piece of scrap metal. Or a scrap RPG.

4. What is beast swinging from? Scrap yard trapeze swing, obviously.

If you look at an advertisement for x-men 1 before it was released, it showed "rays" of sort coming from Jean Grey's head I guess to show her telepathic powers. I guess it was determined that it made the cover too busy, so it was removed during final publication.

Fantastic Four #19 has this ad:

xmen1-from-ff19-sept1963.jpg

If you look at an advertisement for x-men 1 before it was released, it showed "rays" of sort coming from Jean Grey's head I guess to show her telepathic powers. I guess it was determined that it made the cover too busy, so it was removed during final publication.

Fantastic Four #19 has this ad:

xmen1-from-ff19-sept1963.jpg

Good move taking that out indeed! It wouldn't be the same. More appreciation just given to the cover.