• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cover Analysis: X-Men 1 (1963)

43 posts in this topic

couple things came to mind this morning that I know someone on here has the answers to:

1. Does cyclops have magentic lasers? Because it doesn't look like magneto is blocking it off with anything physical. and is Cyclops actually resting/leaning on the magnetic forcefield?

2. When you're iceman, and you tell yourself "let me throw some snowballs at him", do you really think that its going to cause major damage? and is his aim off or do those snowballs have metal in them as well? How did it end up on magnetos back and not front?

3. Did angel always have a bazooka launcher/rpg? Is that a bazooka launcer/rpg??

4. What is beast swinging from?

675191.jpg

couple things came to mind this morning that I know someone on here has the answers to:

1. Does cyclops have magentic lasers? Because it doesn't look like magneto is blocking it off with anything physical. and is Cyclops actually resting/leaning on the magnetic forcefield?

Because Magnets.

2. When you're iceman, and you tell yourself "let me throw some snowballs at him", do you really think that its going to cause major damage? and is his aim off or do those snowballs have metal in them as well? How did it end up on magnetos back and not front?

The snow balls are distracting and can blind you momentarily if they hit you in the face. As for the other questions: Because magnets and because magnets.

3. Did angel always have a bazooka launcher/rpg? Is that a bazooka launcer/rpg??

No. And no, but it involves magnets.

He's swinging from magnets.

I first saw that cover in Marvel's "Son of Origins" Fireside trade back in the mid 1970s (several years after I'd been familiarized with the X-Men via reprints), and immediately thought that it looked like a "danger room" exercise, even though the danger room didn't make its first appearance until issue #2...

Good thread. I always thought they looked rather pathetic here, particularly the seemingly-visually-impaired Iceman (how do you miss so badly from point-blank range?), and Jean Grey who appears to be wobbling after a few too many cosmos. Kirby must have realized Angel's about as deadly as an Aquaman of the sky, so might as well give him some ordinance (which he seems to be struggling with), while Beast leads the attack with punishing foot odor.

675191.jpg

1. Scott's beam is an energy beam. On the cover it's a magnetic force field projected by Magneto that Scott is trying to penetrate with his energy beam when the team is fighting Magneto at the army base.

2. Iceman had pretty limited powers in the first few issue. There's a part in the first issue where he gets made because Prof X isn't testing him. Snow balls and catching a rocket with "snow grenades" were pretty much it for him at this point. The bad angle on the hit and the snowballs is probably the result of Kirby attempting to show that the force field covered Magneto.

3. As others have said, it's a rocket. There's a part in the first issue where Magneto sends a bunch of rockets after him.

4. There’s a part in the story where Beast swings from a bar sticking out of a metal structure when battling Magneto at the army base.

he just has good fashion sense as he switches to a purple helmet on the cover of XM4

It took 4 issues for Jean to excite him?

Peace,

Chip

Oh, that's so bad.

he just has good fashion sense as he switches to a purple helmet on the cover of XM4

It took 4 issues for Jean to excite him?

Peace,

Chip

She obviously didn't have the correct magnetism.

Because Magnets.

The snow balls are distracting and can blind you momentarily if they hit you in the face. As for the other questions: Because magnets and because magnets.

No. And no, but it involves magnets.

He's swinging from magnets.

Actual lol... Thanks. Magnets.