• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So I received an interesting phone call last week...

495 posts in this topic

don't lie to him. you need at least 1000 posts or been here for more than 6 months.

They changed the rule to one year last month in the general counsel of the boards thread.

Just FYI.

I've been away for a while, but I just wanted to answer Transplant's question (it was a WTT for Atari games thread, BTW, not WTB). Thanks for asking. I did find about 15 games for $1 each so now I have some to play again. I also take my family out to eat once in a while and sometimes April and I get out for "date night." None of which means I don't need a big windfall to help us get to where we want to be in life.

If I make $50k on a book I buy for $1k I'll give $15-20k back to the seller. Are you all happy now?

Peace,

Chip

I've been away for a while, but I just wanted to answer Transplant's question (it was a WTT for Atari games thread, BTW, not WTB). Thanks for asking. I did find about 15 games for $1 each so now I have some to play again. I also take my family out to eat once in a while and sometimes April and I get out for "date night." None of which means I don't need a big windfall to help us get to where we want to be in life.

If I make $50k on a book I buy for $1k I'll give $15-20k back to the seller. Are you all happy now?

Peace,

Chip

We'll let you know how the secret vote turns out on whether we're happy.

Peace,

Chip

We'll let you know how the secret vote turns out on whether we're happy.

Your avatar is scary.

In case anyone needs clarification, the story is a hoax, as I'm sure many suspected anyways.

(thumbs u

It was fun to read. It was immediately apparent it was a hoax. Just TOO perfectly setup from the elderly lady to the concept of missing a key in a box of 20 books. I got some smiles from this.

What was the point of the hoax or are you just saying its a hoax due to the ethical debate the thread has produced

He was bored and provided us with entertainment.And it WAS warned that it would be one by a clever boardie....

kudos to OP, as he just hit the lotto!

Not the same thing. Not even close.

"Lotto" doesn't necessarily mean "millions". You can win much less in any lotto.

:gossip: I wasn't referring to the dollars at all.

Everyone has an equal chance in the lotto. No one loses tens of thousands of $$ because 1 party didn't know what they had, while the other party was more knowledgeable and took advantage of them.

Let's not go off the deep end just yet.

What about the amount of work you put into becoming a reputable comic dealer, so that people will call you to sell when they have something for sale? The amount of time you took become and expert on comics so that you can identify if/when/where there is profit to be made? What about the opportunity cost of other things you could be doing? In nearly every single financial transaction doesn't one party have more knowledge about the value of the product?

Our whole economy is essentially based on arbitrage, isn't it?

So it's like the old joke - guy calls a plumber, plumber looks things over, takes out his wrench and turns a pipe, and everything is great. Plumber says, "That will be $50" (I told you, this is an old joke) Man is outraged, says, "$50 to turn a pipe??? I want a detailed receipt." Plumber takes a piece of paper and writes, "Turning pipe: 50 cents. Knowing which pipe to turn, $45.50."