• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BCW Storage Boxes

14 posts in this topic

I tried to search for a thread on this and didn't find anything. I bought some BCW short boxes. It seems like the sides of the boxes don't quite work. What I mean is they just fall in to the box. It appears that folding the handles is supposed to keep them in place, but they don't. It would also appear that even if held in place it would create a large bulge inside the box that you wouldn't want your comics resting against.

Or I could just be not so smart and I'm not putting them together properly. Any comments would be appreciated.

My issue is with flaps 2 and 3 noted above. They don't want to stay. If they were a bit wider the box itself would hold them in place. But they seem a bit too skinny and the only thing that would hold them in place would be folding the handles. But they don't really hold.

Or am I missing something?

nope, that's a very common issue. the boxes I use (can't remember off the top of my head what brand or whatever they are, but they aren't BCW) do the exact same thing. I just get out my roll of clear packaging tape, tear off a big strip, run it through the handhole and then wrap it around the top on both sides and it holds those flaps in place nicely.

alternatively you could probably just use a glue stick or something, and put some glue on the white face of the flap and then press it up against the side. maybe lay the box on its end so you could put a heavy book or something on top of the flap until the glue sets.

long story short though, you're not doing anything wrong...they just don't stay in place very well on their own.

nope, that's a very common issue. the boxes I use (can't remember off the top of my head what brand or whatever they are, but they aren't BCW) do the exact same thing. I just get out my roll of clear packaging tape, tear off a big strip, run it through the handhole and then wrap it around the top on both sides and it holds those flaps in place nicely.

alternatively you could probably just use a glue stick or something, and put some glue on the white face of the flap and then press it up against the side. maybe lay the box on its end so you could put a heavy book or something on top of the flap until the glue sets.

long story short though, you're not doing anything wrong...they just don't stay in place very well on their own.

+1 - I too use tape in this same exact manner. I also tend to tape along the bottom for added support and to close the gaps left by the cardboard.

For cardboard boxes... you'll almost always have some sort of 'fit' issue.

The flaps provide reinforcement for lifting and lowering the boxes. I wouldn't recommend removing them.

Just place a couple of backing boards at each end of the box so that your comics aren't in direct contact with the flaps.

Thanks. I think I'll just cut off the small flaps from the handle that come in to the box and then use tape or glue. That way the sides will be flat.

The sides will be flat, but it sorta messes up the handle if you try to carry them with the flaps cut off. I use duct tap, and then put an extra board on the inside to keep light out. Don't pack them so full it is tight on the sides- snug, but not tight.