• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WBN 32 - Reason for Increase in Demand/Prices?

132 posts in this topic

We have no way to prove the possible 'hoarding' or lack of; that I will absolutely agree with. That is a fair statement and one I can't comment on further without any additional information. However, a lot of people posting in this thread are ignoring one glaring contradiction that was already pointed out by several participants. Compared to what this book sold for just a few years back it is NOT increasing in value like this thread proclaims. As a result I have to ask how come this thread is asking why WBN 32 is increasing in value when GPA doesn't justify this? Now to be fair I only track high grade sales (I.e. 9.2 or above) so I have to ask what am I missing; if anything at all.

Just so we are clear current CGC census data shows 10 copies in 9.8, 45 in 9.6, and over 90 in 9.4! This makes me wonder how many were hoarded? 10 in 9.8? I have books that don't have 10 copies across the spectrum of grades 10 through 9.4. For comparisons check the census data for books like Tales of Suspense 52 and 57, Strange Tales 110,115, and 135.

Now compare those figures to WBN 32. It is hard to make a valid argument that this book is worth speculating on.

In fact I would venture it has further to fall at least in high grade.

Just checked GPA on WBN 32 and prices seem to be trending upward. (shrug)

It is true that 9.6s for example got up to nosebleed prices back in 2009 and then dropped. However a quick glance at some other higher grades grades doesn't show a dramatic drop off.

Trending up the last 2 years. He was talking about the drop in 2012 vs the 2007 - 2011 prices. We are surpassing those earlier highs now though.

Correct! I was also looking at higher grades. BTW, these are Bronze Age books, so I am not sure where the term 'copper age' fits in, but do see that was already addressed which brings me to my point. Speculators seem to be missing it. The census shows a lot of undervalued silver age books that are extremely scarce. Why spend money on an over-hyped Bronze Age book that is neither scarce or stable when you can use those same finds to buy a pre-1965 book that still has potential? I see WBN 32 doing absolutely nothing long term. There are just too many of them. The problem with buying Bronze Age and later books is that in most cases scarcity isn't a factor. As a result as soon as demand subsides prices fall. The price trends for this book should tell anyone with an education in business or statistics that the book is nothing but volatile; much like Ms. Marvel 1. If you like it buy it, but don't try to invest in it and don't get upset if the book falls further in price later on. I would not be calling this an undervalued key. If it does get a movie it will turn into short term gold, but only for a little while. It is sure to be forgotten with no long term exposure for the character and somehow I don't see Moon Knight competing with Batman.

And there lies the problem. People such as yourself keep comparing him to batman. That like if people kept comparing batman to the shadow. There's always characters that we can sit there and compare and say hey they ripping off this character. Moon Knight is making his own waves now. People are realizing he is a strong character with his own merits. I think people are also now looking at the older books where the comparison isn't the same in the original story line and that is what people are wanting. It wasn't until his main series that the comparisons could be made. You look on youtube and there is a lot more talks of this character even comparing him to batman in showdowns and showing how he has his own merits. You compare dc and marvel you will find characters across the board that we can sit there all day and say this character ripped off this character bla bla bla. As more and more people realize Moon Knight has his own merits his popularity will grow as well and will not been seen as a batman rip off that he has been unfairly named.

And you talk about IF he gets a movie. Its not even in talks and his book keeps going up. When they where talking about his own tv series nothing happened to the book at all to drive it or lower it. This book has been going up of its own merits with nothing behind it to drive it up like a tv show or a movie.

Moon Knight is a growing character. Even in video games they where not putting him in until the people asked for it. Those companies would not waste their time on a character if there was not enough demand which there has been.

You talk about over hyped and not under valued. This book has been talked about for ages and it isn't a knew thing in which people said it was undervalued. Its been talked about in wizard for ages as well.

This book has done nothing but gone up and you think its short term but its not. Short term in my mind is something like a new modern that is hype for a year then drops off. This book has been steadily going up over the last 5+ years and it has just started.

We are also at the era where people are looking for bronze age books and once they go into collectors hands how long you think they going to stay there until they are let back into the wild. I know my copy is staying with me for a long time. How many other people that like moon knight are going to do the same thing locking up even more of the book away for the meantime.

You think someone is hoarding these and I doubt it. I think its just people of the same era as me getting their copy and holding onto them because if you are a Moon Knight fan this is the holy grail of the collection.

You also have to look at the new generation of collecters in their 20's as well. They like moon knight and I have had discussions with them about it and they don't see moon knight as a batman rip off. There has been also many defining events as of late with Moon Knight to set him apart which has attracted a new customer base for this character aka the ripping off of the face and wearing it, carving peoples foreheads and just pure craziness. They also have been defining him more. If he wasn't a wanted character over the last 5+ years they wouldn't be making him his own comic series either in which they have done a couple now.

We have no way to prove the possible 'hoarding' or lack of; that I will absolutely agree with. That is a fair statement and one I can't comment on further without any additional information. However, a lot of people posting in this thread are ignoring one glaring contradiction that was already pointed out by several participants. Compared to what this book sold for just a few years back it is NOT increasing in value like this thread proclaims. As a result I have to ask how come this thread is asking why WBN 32 is increasing in value when GPA doesn't justify this? Now to be fair I only track high grade sales (I.e. 9.2 or above) so I have to ask what am I missing; if anything at all.

Just so we are clear current CGC census data shows 10 copies in 9.8, 45 in 9.6, and over 90 in 9.4! This makes me wonder how many were hoarded? 10 in 9.8? I have books that don't have 10 copies across the spectrum of grades 10 through 9.4. For comparisons check the census data for books like Tales of Suspense 52 and 57, Strange Tales 110,115, and 135.

Now compare those figures to WBN 32. It is hard to make a valid argument that this book is worth speculating on.

It is true that 9.6s for example got up to nosebleed prices back in 2009 and then dropped. However a quick glance at some other higher grades grades doesn't show a dramatic drop off.

Werewolf By Night 32 Fine/VF @ $153 & .. get this.. 49 watchers. 49 WATCHERS!

Yeah, there's no real demand here. :facepalm:

:gossip: Haven't you heard that this book has no future?

:gossip: Haven't you heard that this book has no future?

:insane:

Anecdotal for sure but I just sold 5 (?? Maybe more? I honestly don't even recall) VF/VF+ raw copies to Gator for a song because there hasn't been much interest over the past few years.. Yes, I horde MK books.

I really wish this thread was in comics general. Hey this item has a lot of demand there as are 49 watchers! Never mind past price trends, how many opines exist in grade; instead let's count how many people are following the auction. I mean its not like any of those watchers already have the book and just want to track the item for reference...oh wait!

Forget that the item may have sold for a record low price at least it had a lot of watchers. That must show interest, right?

God help us...

Yeah I don't get it. Everything I have seen in which I watch this book continually along with the character itself has been the opposite for the most part.

Maybe he doesn't like Moon Knight.

I think a book going from $140 which was roughly gpa when I bought it too $566 in the latest ebay sale must show a book that is rising not dropping. That's a 300% increase.

First compare it to SA keys, then just bash the book. Next you'll want us to believe that you have never made a mistake or bought a book that has gone down. What's with the self imposed importance with you and your angle on a .... EVERYTHING :P

Right! I wish some should just stop looking at books as a commodity,and just enjoy them for what they are.Kind of sad really,sorta feel sorry for people like him.

I really wish this thread was in comics general. Hey this item has a lot of demand there as are 49 watchers! Never mind past price trends, how many opines exist in grade; instead let's count how many people are following the auction. I mean its not like any of those watchers already have the book and just want to track the item for reference...oh wait!

Forget that the item may have sold for a record low price at least it had a lot of watchers. That must show interest, right?

God help us...

lol It's okay if people choose to collect what they choose to collect. Really it is. Folks are going to buy what they're going to buy.

Yeah I don't get it. Everything I have seen in which I watch this book continually along with the character itself has been the opposite for the most part.

Maybe he doesn't like Moon Knight.

I think a book going from $140 which was roughly gpa when I bought it too $566 in the latest ebay sale must show a book that is rising not dropping. That's a 300% increase.

That is one sale. Since when does one sale define the market on a comic as common as WBN 32? This isn't Action Comics #1. Just in 9.8 alone there are 10 copies.

First compare it to SA keys, then just bash the book. Next you'll want us to believe that you have never made a mistake or bought a book that has gone down. What's with the self imposed importance with you and your angle on a .... EVERYTHING :P

Right! I wish some should just stop looking at books as a commodity,and just enjoy them for what they are.Kind of sad really,sorta feel sorry for people like him.

I feel the same exact way. Keep in mind Oakman that I am responding to two speculators on this forum. Both are members of the Lyria Exchange with one being the primary proprietor. I'll leave it at that; as what was that about viewing books as a commodity?

Junkdrawer you are missing the point I am trying to make. When talking about investing 'opportunity costs' come into play. Yes, WBN 32 should be compared to any other book. The funds used to purchase this book can easily be diverted to other things that may have a much better return; even outside of the subject of comic books. Why wouldn't I bring up silver age books? Successful investing is generally void of emotion.