• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Open Letter to CGC

226 posts in this topic

I b
Also...if CGC is adding services and adapting new ideas because of the other company how Is that a bad thing? Does it really matter whether it was first or not? The fact is that they care and are looking for feedback and ways to stay relevant and on top. That's business 101 !

For whatever reason if CGC just sat back and did not adapt to the competition then I would say maybe there could be a problem.

My point is that this statement is false as I see it. If it were true, some changes would have been addressed a long time ago. The fact is that CBCS is gaining traction and that is whats driving the change. If they cared they would have addressed the feedback that they have been getting for years. Note I said addressed, not necessarily implemented.

+ 1

+2

I bet you guys would drive 20 miles to get to a gas station that had a five cents a gallon sale...

No, we just don't have Stockholm Syndrome like some people here do.

I b
Also...if CGC is adding services and adapting new ideas because of the other company how Is that a bad thing? Does it really matter whether it was first or not? The fact is that they care and are looking for feedback and ways to stay relevant and on top. That's business 101 !

For whatever reason if CGC just sat back and did not adapt to the competition then I would say maybe there could be a problem.

My point is that this statement is false as I see it. If it were true, some changes would have been addressed a long time ago. The fact is that CBCS is gaining traction and that is whats driving the change. If they cared they would have addressed the feedback that they have been getting for years. Note I said addressed, not necessarily implemented.

+ 1

+2

I bet you guys would drive 20 miles to get to a gas station that had a five cents a gallon sale...

:applause:

I b

+ 1

+2

They might go to 2-3 different grocery stores too so they can use different coupons on stuff they'd buy anyway. They may ride their bike to work instead of driving, or take the stairs instead of the elevator to burn a few extra calories.

I'm burning my 7,000th post to ask you what your example or mine has to do with a company getting increasingly lax about delivering what they promise, i.e. consistent grading in a timely turnaround with a bare minimum of QC complaints? And how any improvements we might be hearing about (not even really seeing yet) don't really address those concerns, but are simply ways to copy incremental improvements in things like social media being made by a new competitor on the scene? In other words, it seems to me that they are trying to compete on window dressing instead of focusing on their core mission.

If CGC could simply get their TATs under control I would imagine that they could worry a lot less about competition just from that. A true 15 day coupon or 20 day TAT on a regular track modern would be huge for their business, and coupled with their reputation as the first/best in the industry would make their position that much more unassailable by a competitor. A Facebook page does not affect my business decision with a company nearly as much as the results I get.

There is now also a service coming that would allow previously signed books to have the signatures authenticated and then graded accordingly.

They've needed this for a long time. I thought the claim was it couldn't be done.

No, CGC doesn't want to do it because it's a idea. There was a big discussion in the SS room about this previously:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7972986#Post7972986

This technology has been used to verify signatures from Babe Ruth to Abraham Lincoln to James Douglas Morrison. IMHO this should be a different tier than the SS Series, because the signatures are not personally witnessed. If you don't like or trust the technology no one is holding a gun to your head telling you to buy the books graded and verified in this manner. I just don't think there is anything wrong with putting it on the menu.

But the Voldemort company isn't using "that" technology. They partnered up with the same company that PGX was using for their signature "authentication" service - 3 brothers that nobody's ever heard of.

http://www.rebelsaga.com/2014/05/partners-in-authentication.html

This service couldn't be any less credible if they tried.

I b

+ 1

+2

:applause:

Business is business ! emotional guilt has nothing to do with it but it was funny.

some people lead others complain. Always will be that way

Once again how does the grading compare ?

There is now also a service coming that would allow previously signed books to have the signatures authenticated and then graded accordingly.

They've needed this for a long time. I thought the claim was it couldn't be done.

No, CGC doesn't want to do it because it's a idea. There was a big discussion in the SS room about this previously:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7972986#Post7972986

This technology has been used to verify signatures from Babe Ruth to Abraham Lincoln to James Douglas Morrison. IMHO this should be a different tier than the SS Series, because the signatures are not personally witnessed. If you don't like or trust the technology no one is holding a gun to your head telling you to buy the books graded and verified in this manner. I just don't think there is anything wrong with putting it on the menu.

But the Voldemort company isn't using "that" technology. They partnered up with the same company that PGX was using for their signature "authentication" service - 3 brothers that nobody's ever heard of.

http://www.rebelsaga.com/2014/05/partners-in-authentication.html

This service couldn't be any less credible if they tried.

If what you say is true, these signatures must pass a computerized analysis implemented by a former employee of the FBI. Aside from PGX using the same technology, what is it about this that you feel is ridiculous and irrelevant?

I b

+ 1

+2

They might go to 2-3 different grocery stores too so they can use different coupons on stuff they'd buy anyway. They may ride their bike to work instead of driving, or take the stairs instead of the elevator to burn a few extra calories.

I'm burning my 7,000th post to ask you what your example or mine has to do with a company getting increasingly lax about delivering what they promise, i.e. consistent grading in a timely turnaround with a bare minimum of QC complaints? And how any improvements we might be hearing about (not even really seeing yet) don't really address those concerns, but are simply ways to copy incremental improvements in things like social media being made by a new competitor on the scene? In other words, it seems to me that they are trying to compete on window dressing instead of focusing on their core mission.

If CGC could simply get their TATs under control I would imagine that they could worry a lot less about competition just from that. A true 15 day coupon or 20 day TAT on a regular track modern would be huge for their business, and coupled with their reputation as the first/best in the industry would make their position that much more unassailable by a competitor.

My point was some of these complaints are pointless. OMG CGC has a Facebook page. They suck ... Why was this not done before ... I can't believe it. I wonder if the new company is going to help their turnaround times because they where slammed. How do you think the CBCS turnaround times would be if they where doing the same volume ? Look I stated in my first post they make mistakes and are not perfect. But before I would buy the other guys slabs and spend big money on a book I want to see some history and proof that a 7.0 is not a 6.5 that's it.. Competition is always good and if you are HOSTAGE to a large CGC collection you don't want people calling out a company for something as petty as a Facebook page.

I do not have 100% trust in the current SS system as it is, after witnessing first hand some things that seemingly counter the policies that were put in place to lend credence to the program.

As someone that recently bought a slab from the other company, I was unimpressed. The way the slabs is held together seems flimsy and the book just seems to float inside the slab. My book looks noticeably crooked and even my wife agreed.

I wonder how many people here actually jumping on CGC have held a CBCS slab in hand.

CBCS has also had a lot of issues early on with the plastic they use. I understand that new companies make mistakes, but they had an initial issue that slowed down the first few slabs and then another issue after they sent out slabs.

Personally, I was also unimpressed with their con presence this summer. I think they should have been more visible but their problems with their slabs slowed them down.

It is easy to point to CGC's issues, but that is simply because they've been around for longer than ANYONE.

As someone that recently bought a slab from the other company, I was unimpressed. The way the slabs is held together seems flimsy and the book just seems to float inside the slab. My book looks noticeably crooked and even my wife agreed.

I wonder how many people here actually jumping on CGC have held a CBCS slab in hand.

CBCS has also had a lot of issues early on with the plastic they use. I understand that new companies make mistakes, but they had an initial issue that slowed down the first few slabs and then another issue after they sent out slabs.

Personally, I was also unimpressed with their con presence this summer. I think they should have been more visible but their problems with their slabs slowed them down.

It is easy to point to CGC's issues, but that is simply because they've been around for longer than ANYONE.

I still like the PGX slab... thing feels solid.

I do not have 100% trust in the current SS system as it is, after witnessing first hand some things that seemingly counter the policies that were put in place to lend credence to the program.

It is only natural that there would be some issues. I thought CGC did a nice job being transparent about the Hulk 1 and handled that problem well. It wasn't like they kept it a secret.

I b

+ 1

+2

If CGC could simply get their TATs under control I would imagine that they could worry a lot less about competition just from that. A true 15 day coupon or 20 day TAT on a regular track modern would be huge for their business, and coupled with their reputation as the first/best in the industry would make their position that much more unassailable by a competitor.

My point was some of these complaints are pointless. OMG CGC has a Facebook page. They suck ... Why was this not done before ... I can't believe it. I wonder if the new company is going to help their turnaround times because they where slammed. How do you think the CBCS turnaround times would be if they where doing the same volume ? Look I stated in my first post they make mistakes and are not perfect. But before I would buy the other guys slabs and spend big money on a book I want to see some history and proof that a 7.0 is not a 6.5 that's it.. Competition is always good and if you are HOSTAGE to a large CGC collection you don't want people calling out a company for something as petty as a Facebook page.

I don't think anyone honestly gives a mess about a Facebook page. The issue is that CGC's brand value has become somewhat eroded by ballooning TATs combined with increasingly lax QC standards (with a loooong time spent on that, if you follow the TAT thread) added to nickel and dime cost increases like $5 for an invoice fee or grader notes. You get less than you used to for your money from their service in every aspect of the business transaction that I can think of. If CGC improves on their core mission, and gets TATs and QC back to the point where consumers feel they are getting value for the price paid, they needn't worry about anyone else.

I still like the PGX slab... thing feels solid.

I agree, say what you want about their grading but the slab is excellent.

I still like the PGX slab… thing feels solid.

I've never seen a PGX slab in person. I've heard this before though and I'd be interested to see one.

It is only natural that there would be some issues. I thought CGC did a nice job being transparent about the Hulk 1 and handled that problem well. It wasn't like they kept it a secret.

That got outed on the boards because the guy who had the book had to crow about the book holding the SS designation. Otherwise that book makes it out into the world in a yellow label.

That got outed on the boards because the guy who had the book had to crow about the book holding the SS designation. Otherwise that book makes it out into the world in a yellow label.

Yes, but from what CGC said it was an honest mistake. It wasn't like they were helping out a huge dealer to make a quick flip. It was a mistake to help a private collector.

CGC took care of it and took care of it publicly. I think those threads can even still be found.

Yes, but from what CGC said it was an honest mistake. It wasn't like they were helping out a huge dealer to make a quick flip. It was a mistake to help a private collector.

CGC took care of it and took care of it publicly. I think those threads can even still be found.

I agree that there was nothing intentionally shady about it on CGC's part. But they were lazy about upholding their standards for the program, which leaves one to wonder if this was the only incidence of this, or just the only one made public.

Again... there are a lot of little mistakes. I witnessed a glaring one that was never corrected. According to their standards, every book that was signed at a certain show in 2012 should not have been in a yellow label.

Again... there are a lot of little mistakes. I witnessed a glaring one that was never corrected. According to their standards, every book that was signed at a certain show in 2012 should not have been in a yellow label.

I agree there are some odd things with the SS books. However, are you taking a couple hundred out of 1000s of SS books?