• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

top 10 magazines in Overstreet?

43 posts in this topic

I am a huge MAD Magazine fan and find it to be relevant to be part of the top 10. It is still printed today, translated into numerous languages, and survived changing over from a comic to a Magazine. It is part of our pop culture now and not as obscure compared to other books, which I would think would definitely make this list; Heavy Metal, Creepy, and Eerie.

I think there have been threads about this before, but I am not feeling ambitious enough to search for them. Based solely on my own opinion, here are some comic magazines of note:

-- Mad Magazine (as another said above), with issues #24 and #30 being among the biggest keys

-- EC's Picto-Fiction lineup, with Terror Illustrated #1 and Crime Illustrated #1 being standouts, and Shock Illustrated #3 being the most rare & valuable

-- Vampirella #1

-- Creepy #1, possibly Eerie #1 (not sure how this was numbered) and other related mags

-- Famous Monsters of Filmland #1 (also, After Hours #4 which was Warren's first foray into monster stuff, or just After Hours #1 for being Warren's first mag)

-- Famous Monsters of Filmland #4 (ghoul's eye sticker)

-- The Adventures of Pussycat

-- Heavy Metal #1

-- the early Drag Cartoons mag with the Batman & Robin cover (I don't know much about this...saw it touted somewhere)

-- Monster Parade #1

-- Trump #1 and #2 (Hugh Hefner's brief attempt at a Mad-type magazine, super slick and colorful)

-- Snafu #1 (Stan Lee's attempt at a Mad-type magazine -- pretty good)

Eerie 17 should be on the list.

I don't know if it would be considered a mag or not, but the hardcover Vamperella Special should be on the list too.

Eerie 17 should be on the list.

I don't know if it would be considered a mag or not, but the hardcover Vamperella Special should be on the list too.

The vampi hardcover is super tough. Weren't there something liked 700 printed?

500 with about half of those trashed on unboxing from the printer.

Gothic Tales Of Love seems like it's more of a True Confessions mag than comics, eh? I'd say Pussycat qualifies as it's certainly a Comic Magazine. Not sure I would include Famous Monster Of Filmland either, but the issue of it's pseudo spinoff Monster World that is kind of a prelude to Creepy might qualify. Perhaps I'm being picky, but text and photos or text and illustrations doesn't seem like a comic magazine to me. Are FMF and Gothic Tales even listed in Overstreet?

I might nominate Kurtzman's Help! into the fold. In old Overstreets it used to be listed, but then somewhere down the line it stopped. Haven't seen a guide for a few years so not sure if it's been reinstated.

So we have

Mad #1

Vampirella#1

Creepy#1

Famous Monsters of Filmland#1

Heavy Metal#1

Heidi Saha?

What else would you think?

Well, it won't be FMOF #1 or Heavy Metal #1 since both of these titles are not even listed in Overstreet!

I can understand the rationale for not listing FMOF, but feel that the Heavy Metal mags should definitely be in there since they are comic magazine format and artwork. (thumbs u