• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel’s Cinematic Universe Now Offered As College Course

36 posts in this topic

I've mentioned this before, but I took a Graphic Novel course in college about 10 years ago. It was awful. The professors were weird comic elitists. I've never sat in an college level English course and actually heard professors tell people their interpretations were dead wrong. These guys did it though.

The course you linked isn't all that far from me, although I've never heard of the school…

I had an elective course in College History Of Rock and Roll. The text book was a Rolling Stone Encyclopdeia of Rock..Only 4.0 in 5 1/2 years of college :banana:

I took a History of Hip Hop course. It was really interesting- especially since I wasn't a fan of Hip Hop. It gave me an appreciation for the course.

I took a ton of interesting courses. English electives were a blast.

I've mentioned this before, but I took a Graphic Novel course in college about 10 years ago. It was awful. The professors were weird comic elitists. I've never sat in an college level English course and actually heard professors tell people their interpretations were dead wrong. These guys did it though.

The course you linked isn't all that far from me, although I've never heard of the school…

Speaking as someone with two degrees in literature, people do mis-interpret texts. Not every interpretation is valid.

Speaking as someone with two degrees in literature, people do mis-interpret texts. Not every interpretation is valid.

Yes- speaking as an English teacher, that is very true. I think it was more the guys attitude about it that was off putting.

It was also off putting that they came in one night, put on the first Spider-Man movie, and walked out. It was unnecessary. They just did some odd things- maybe my one example wasn't great.

I've taught Comic Book Lit. for 15 years and a number of other courses on superheroes and mythology before getting the chance to teach this course.

I would *never* do anything as appalling as what those professors did. In fact it's a point I make in the beginning of every semester - these are classes in observation, interpretation, and finding meaning in media. The students' opinions, as long as they can support them with examples (and I give wide latitude) are just as important and in fact *more* important than mine. I know what I think - I want them to decide what *they* think, and then share it.