• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Planet Comics 15 slab issue

23 posts in this topic

Hi all,

wondering what you all recommend I should do with this particular book.

Due to "shaken comic syndrome" from the mail the cover has slipped down inside the slab and is now against the bottom and right edge of the inner well. The cover is fragile and I am worried about further damage.

Planet15coverslipping_zps11041295.jpg

I was thinking of cracking it out and placing it and the label in a golden age sized mylar/ mylite.

What do you think?

Does doing this affect the future resale value? It is a valuable book.

Just not sure what to do.

I don't think it affects the value in that grade and being a GLOD with a detached cover but it certainly does affect the presentation. Sine your other issues in your run are not all slabbed, I'd crack it.

And congrats again on completing the entire run - great books and some toughies in the run to find regardless of condition. (worship)

Bust it out. There is no reason to keep a 1.5 book, let alone a GLOD one in a slab, unless it's so fragile it might fall apart on contact.

Not only can you enjoy it, but it will look better in a mylar, and if you ever sell, the eye-appeal and scarcity will dictate the potential, not the slab.

Considering what's going on here, you wouldn't be cracking it out, you'd be rescuing it.

Full run eh? Very nice, congrats!

+1 Rescue that great book!

And congratulations, again, on the full run. There cannot be many of them in the world! :applause:

If you're other books are slabbed or on display, another option is to crack the book carefully (not to damage the case), cut it out of the well, put it in a Mylar and then put it back in the case and tape the sides so it sits inside nice and snug. That way you can still have the consistent "graded comic look" but the cover isn't all wonkily laid in there.

I've done this to a couple books so when they are on my shelves, they look right at home with my other CGC slabs.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

I decided to crack the book out of the slab. This allowed me to further inspect the book. The centerfold is also detached but I must say the interior pages are very nice quality.

I put the book into a golden aged mylite 2 with a half back and then into a magazine size toploader.

I am contemplating either doing a conservation or possibly a restoration of the book. Restoration might return a relatively high grade book as the central mass of the covers is in wonderful condition. Most of the restorative work would be recreating the spine and adding a little to the edges. Since it already is a married cover... (shrug)

I am also considering helping out PS Artbooks with their request for a scan of Planet 15 although the idea of placing this book flat on a scanner bed is somewhat scary.

Don't be such a wuss. :baiting:

I started scanning. :)

Reading as I go.

Excellent choice sir! Congrats on putting that run together, I have yet to own a Planet comics. Maybe I'll check out the reprint collections one day. Enjoy!

Thanks Darth.

I decided this is probably the perfect book to scan to help PS Artbooks out. It is a low grade but complete copy with off-white pages. Seems to hold up to the scanning so far.