• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM HULK 1

28 posts in this topic

Started a conversation about this consigned book with insect damage in the restoration thread. I was asking for opinions if this should be restored, left raw or slabbed. I was advised to get broader opinions on the potential grade, I thought that was a good idea, and so this thread.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=30&Number=8052698&Searchpage=1&Main=355602&Words=&topic=0&Search=true#Post8052698

We've established in the other thread that it likely isn't restored, it has some white-out or paint on the back cover, but this isn't an attempt at restoration and I assume CGC would not punish this book with a PLOD. I photographed every page because the damage effects the whole book and I wanted to show the extent of it. Not a lot of the story art is effected by the damage, it's restricted to the very edges and the margins save a lot of stuff from getting clipped. The paper is very supple and the tanning in some of the photos is actually my shadow created by the high-hat lights overhead.

What grade do you think this Hulk is or would get if it was slabbed? (shrug)

photo-62_zpsf042f480.jpg

photo-63_zps3a9faa1a.jpg

If 0.5 is the numeric equivalent to "Poor", then I think it should be a 1.0, although the little bits of artwork (mostly balloons) missing could make them assign the "Poor" grade.

It is a weird book: I am trying to imagine if I would pick it if it was a Fantastic Four #1 offered for a good price and I am still dubious. hm

Is it worth the $100 bucks (+shipping) to get it slabbed hm

Matt's advice was to get it graded, it would help it sell.

photo-42_zps3acbd3c1.jpg

I have a friend who keeps saying get it restored.

I say let the new owner do it. :grin:

Is it worth the $100 bucks (+shipping) to get it slabbed hm

Matt's advice was to get it graded, it would help it sell.

photo-42_zps3acbd3c1.jpg

I have a friend who keeps saying get it restored.

I say let the new owner do it. :grin:

Without knowing how much you're already into it, I would say yes. I would imagine that it being in a blue label slab would negate some of the diminished eye appeal of that corner being chewed down.

-J.

Folks have asked to see the inside pages. Here's a link to photos of the book including the interior pages - this is the password: barracuda

http://s226.photobucket.com/user/ollerom_photos/slideshow/hulk%20edited

termites :tonofbricks:

It's still an awesome reader copy though lol

I was reading it (off the scans) last night, I love the primitiveness of the whole thing - the simplicity of concept and execution, and how it has evolved into what we know of the character today. The very first words uttered by Hulk, "Get out of my way insect" :cloud9:

photo-43_zpsbc321d52.jpg

Looks good in a mylar, It'd probably look even better in a CGC blue slab hm

Folks have asked to see the inside pages. Here's a link to photos of the book including the interior pages - this is the password: barracuda

http://s226.photobucket.com/user/ollerom_photos/slideshow/hulk%20edited

termites :tonofbricks:

It's still an awesome reader copy though lol

I was reading it (off the scans) last night, I love the primitiveness of the whole thing - the simplicity of concept and execution, and how it has evolved into what we know of the character today. The very first words uttered by Hulk, "Get out of my way insect" :cloud9:

photo-43_zpsbc321d52.jpg

Looks good in a mylar, It'd probably look even better in a CGC blue slab hm

It's a beauty. I just re-read it through your scans, I love the panel where the hulk stealth's by a security guy lol

That poor guy would be hulk smashed pancake now a days lol

That chew is about as bad as it gets without affecting the story too badly. I would also agree with a 0.5, but it is a pretty sweet 0.5. I could see it getting a premium over others in the same grade. If it were graded and sit in a blue holder, it would put buyer minds at ease about that back cover paint/whiteout.