• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the New Mutants 98 bubble burst?
1 1

1,121 posts in this topic

New Mutants #98 is the 1st book that I've seen rise in price after the movie was released. Just sayin'

:whistle:

:gossip: Looks pretty flat to me (for almost 2 years).

It does? Look at the 9.8 averages. They are rising. The last sale was $900, there is an auction running for another 3 days that is at $750 and I just sold one for $800 pretty quick (something that was tougher to do a few months ago) and there were 3 other people interested in the book when it sold.

I personally think there is another surge on the book.

Look at the control charts on the right (24 Months and 12 Months boxes), the book is not surging, maybe ever so slightly up. Statistically flat.

:shrug:

You mean as opposed to a significant drop for most movie books? :D

I guess time will tell.

New Mutants #98 is the 1st book that I've seen rise in price after the movie was released. Just sayin'

:whistle:

:gossip: Looks pretty flat to me (for almost 2 years).

It does? Look at the 9.8 averages. They are rising. The last sale was $900, there is an auction running for another 3 days that is at $750 and I just sold one for $800 pretty quick (something that was tougher to do a few months ago) and there were 3 other people interested in the book when it sold.

I personally think there is another surge on the book.

Look at the control charts on the right (24 Months and 12 Months boxes), the book is not surging, maybe ever so slightly up. Statistically flat.

:shrug:

You mean as opposed to a significant drop for most movie books? :D

I guess time will tell.

What does "most" or "significant" mean? Do you have data to support and quantify? Or at least a standard to qualify?

Your original statement was "it was the first book to rise in price post movie," which is factually false. Now you are changing your statement to an ambiguous comment including "most" books that had movies...

With all due respect, you havent substantiated the second claim and the first claim was false. Both of which are at current misleading.

Edited by rfoiii

What does "most" or "significant" mean? Do you have data to support and quantify? Or at least a standard to qualify?

Your original statement was "it was the first book to rise in price post movie," which is factually false. Now you are changing your statement to an ambiguous comment including "most" books that had movies...

With all due respect, you havent substantiated the second claim and the first claim was false. Both of which are at current misleading.

God, you noobs are so annoying. lol

I was just going by my experience in the market place based on prices I see and demand that I am experiencing which is enough for me to make business decisions on, but here you go:

I just calculated the average for all 48 sales from Feb 12th (movie release) to today.

The average is $838.83 which is well over the 90 day average of $823 and the 12 month average of $812.

So it's not factually false, it's factually accurate.

Second, it's well established that most if not all (I haven't done a study - feel free to do so) drop off after the movie hits the theaters.

God, you noobs are so annoying. lol

I was just going by my experience in the market place based on prices I see and demand that I am experiencing which is enough for me to make business decisions on, but here you go:

I just calculated the average for all 48 sales from Feb 12th (movie release) to today.

The average is $838.83 which is well over the 90 day average of $823 and the 12 month average of $812.

So it's not factually false, it's factually accurate.

Second, it's well established that most if not all (I haven't done a study - feel free to do so) drop off after the movie hits the theaters.

You are calling a 2% lift "well over?"

A $15 change on an $800 book is not a statistically significant event to celebrate. USPS took their prices up his year and this shipment costs went up accordingly, if you factor that $5 change into the swing you are left with $10 on $838 or 1.2%. Are going to retire on that?

You continue to add unnecessary qualifiers to make it seem like this book is on fire when he price has been flat for almost two years...

Feel free to make fun of me, but you are not painting a truly accurate picture.

Second - how can anything be well established if you don't have any proof to back it up?

Edited by rfoiii

A $15 change in an $800 book is not a statistically significant event to celebrate.

You continue to add unnecessary qualifiers to make it seem like this book is on fire when he price has been flat for almost two years...

Second - how can anything be well established if you don't have any proof to back it up?

I didn't say the book was on fire. This is what I said.

You said it was false and I proved that it wasn't.

Now you're not a different tangent trying to discredit what I said by saying 2% is not a lot.

My entire point was that the book seems to have not only stayed popular rather than decreased after the movie buzz was over, but actually increased in popularity after the movie, which is extremely rare.

And the reason I said it is to display how popular Deadpool is.

Second, I don't need proof. I can see the market. Feel free to dig it up.

My Eagles will win a Superbowl before NM #98 goes down.

The movie just made the hype price when the CGC 9.8's went from $500 to $750-$850 a legit pricing level.

If anyone can't comprehend that well I dont know what to tell you.

Like him or not Deadpool is here to stay.

solid blue chip going forward.

A $15 change in an $800 book is not a statistically significant event to celebrate.

Now you're not a different tangent trying to discredit what I said by saying 2% is not a lot.

My entire point was that the book seems to have not only stayed popular rather than decreased after the movie buzz was over, but actually increased in popularity after the movie, which is extremely rare.

Yawn. How about the fact that the 90 day average is down in almost every grade?

19 red arrows versus 9 green?

9_6_9_2.png

9_0_down.png

I don't care either way, I just thought it was odd that demand was so strong in 9.8. I usually only look at 9.8 prices on this book.

Like I said, I guess we'll see where we are in a year.

9_6_9_2.png

9_0_down.png

Yeah +/- $10 bucks is down. :eyeroll:

So by your logic TMNT #1 in CGC 9.2 is now also down correct? 2014 avg was 5k and the last just sold for $4k.....the hobby is over! :ohnoez:

When you post this movie scene comes to mind every time:

tumblr_me23vdZIlv1qes4vwo1_500_zps688d9491.gif

9_6_9_2.png

9_0_down.png

Yeah +/- $10 bucks is down. :eyeroll:

So let me get this straight, Vintage can post that $15 dollars up is meaningful and you say nothing.

I post that $10 down is something and you make comments?

Your opinion seems a little one-sided...

Edited by rfoiii

It would be interesting to average out all prices after Feb 12 and compare them to prices before Feb 12.

I'm of the opinion that this character is still picking up steam. And that is saying something considering it's probably the most commonly asked about and cosplayed character of the last year or two after maybe Wolverine.

It would be interesting to average out all prices after Feb 12 and compare them to prices before Feb 12.

I'm of the opinion that this character is still picking up steam. And that is saying something considering it's probably the most commonly asked about and cosplayed character of the last year or two after maybe Wolverine.

I would agree that I don't think the book is going to drop in price significantly soon.

My main point is that I do not believe NM 98 to be a good investment versus other comics long-term (>10 years).

That's very different than bubble burst. It may not increase as fast as other book but I don't see it dropping significantly in value in that time frame either

I assume we are discussing a future where there isn't an economic crash or comic book crash

That's very different than bubble burst. It may not increase as fast as other book but I don't see it dropping significantly in value in that time frame either

I assume we are discussing a future where there isn't an economic crash or comic book crash

Oh I think it is in a bubble and will pop big time, just not soon. The when the second or third movie fails (due to him being a 1 trick pony) and the census catches up to represent the real supply (the hoarders finish releasing the books 1 at a time) - POP. That will take some time though.

However, the discussion shifted recently to comparison investment.

Yes you can assume it isn't during an economic or overall comic market crash.

I would agree that I don't think the book is going to drop in price significantly soon.

My main point is that I do not believe NM 98 to be a good investment versus other comics long-term (>10 years).

I had no idea what you position was as I haven't really followed the thread in a while. I just know it's extremely strong.

Like I said a long time ago in this thread: one store owner told me Deadpool carries his whole store.

Another guy who is not even a comic book collector any longer has wanted one his whole life. He's not very well off and likely doesn't shop on the internet, he just never had a chance to own one. I gave him one for Christmas a couple of years ago. The dude almost cried.

I would venture to say that Deadpool is more popular than most average people (or vintage comic collectors) realize.

Oh I think it is in a bubble and will pop big time, just not soon. The when the second or third movie fails (due to him being a 1 trick pony) and the census catches up to represent the real supply (the hoarders finish releasing the books 1 at a time) - POP. That will take some time though.

However, the discussion shifted recently to comparison investment.

Yes you can assume it isn't during an economic or overall comic market crash.

Maybe but you also thought (way long ago in this same tread) the book would drop once the movie came out.

I had no idea what you position was as I haven't really followed the thread in a while. I just know it's extremely strong.

Like I said a long time ago in this thread: one store owner told me Deadpool carries his whole store.

Another guy who is not even a comic book collector any longer has wanted one his whole life. He's not very well off and likely doesn't shop on the internet, he just never had a chance to own one. I gave him one for Christmas a couple of years ago. The dude almost cried.

I would venture to say that Deadpool is more popular than most average people (or vintage comic collectors) realize.

That is a nice thing you did for your friend. I gave my brother one for his birthday a few years ago.

I have extensively read Deadpool and discussed him a lot with people. I am first and foremost a comic reader, easily over a 1,000 a year.

There is no denying his popularity, but it is also fairly clear it is due to the nature of his character (and the gap he fills in a PC culture seeking non-PC archetypes) - which is one dimensional. People like to imitate him because it gives license to be ridiculous and inappropriate. People will grow tired of the sex/poop/hyper violence when they see the same movie two or three times. The studios will not allow their major characters to be mocked openly like the comics enable and when he drops even slightly they will move on.

Example - Deadpool plus Superhero(es) equals consistently selling and solid title. Deadpool in his own title, rebooted repeatedly and not self-sustaining. He is not a main character, he is a supporting character. That will eventually drive people other places when the "novelty" of him wears off.

This will take time though.

Edited by rfoiii