• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the New Mutants 98 bubble burst?
1 1

1,121 posts in this topic

10 years is not a longtime and being a comic dealer doesn't make you an expert in all comics (clearly).

Just because the used car salesman can sell me a 2006 Honda Civic doesn't mean he is qualified to find me a cherry '65 Shelby GT 350. He doesn't necessarily know why Shelby was significant to car history and why it is worth what it is worth. He probably wouldn't even know one when he sees one.

But cars are cars right?

:shrug:

Congrats on 10 years of buying and selling comics - a real comic dealer!

Edited by rfoiii

What is $10 for this book? But, back then, it WAS something, which is why it generated the responses it did: "what? People are paying TEN DOLLARS for that??!

------

That's what I'm saying, $10 ten years ago for an early 90s glut era comic made it a major key of that era! Now all sorts of junk from then sells for $10+.

How do you feel about NM98 vs TMNT1?

Deadpool outclasses that book.

Same price tag NM 98's would sell much faster.

Only reason TMNT #1 is worth that much is of course because of the low print run.

I can't agree with any of this.

Deadpool is hot right now, that's all.

The Ninja Turtles are a global success and have been for decades.

You don't have to agree, just know you don't do this for a living so I don't have agree with you either. (shrug)

So you are an expert on the matter because more people ask about books that are very well known to be more affordable than a TMNT #1?

Action #1 is pretty popular, how many times are you asked about a price on one of those?

Before I humor you why do you think TMNT #1 is vastly worth more than the list below?

ASM 300

NM 98

DD 168

WD #1

Bat 12

The obvious smaller print run plays a factor as does the Turtles being a far more common household name than the majority of the characters/books you've listed.

That is the only factor.

So not sure why people get so defensive about TMNT#1

TMNT #1 is a good book just not a book I would consider now more important than some other copper key books.

If TNMT #1 had the same print run as NM 98 and you had them both side by side in CGC 9.8 with similar values you can bet NM 98 would outsell TMNT #1. That is my point.

The print run is not the only factor.

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are known and loved by many globally and have been for decades. Deadpool is a blip on the screen in comparison.

To feel decades of being cherished would be outsold by a trend isn't something I will agree with either.

Deadpool was more popular in the comic book world well before the movie.

Print run is 110% the only factor.

TMNT yes has a couple more terrible POS movies, but Deadpool after this monster move hit (which just passed CAP 2 Winter Solder at the box office) has just started his rise to an A player.

Ryan Reynolds did to Deadpool what RDj did to Iron Man.

I have no long-term love for either of these characters for my own collection. This is my personal account of dealing these books for the past 10 years.

Yes Deadpool was known by many in the comic book world but he was not loved by most until years after his creation. This was not the case with TMNT.

Ryan launched a one trick pony that will not hold the attention span past three stand alone movies into mainstream.

I am not anti Deadpool. I think he's fun but one demensional and that doesn't last.

Dealing with these books only for the last 10 years hardly makes you an expert. You have no history as a dealer and apparently also as a TMNT fan during its rise.

Since I am not a comic book dealer how does one advance from what I am doing now to a "real" comic book dealer?

I was referring to your lack of experience during the rise of TMNT's.

Only reason TMNT #1 is worth that much is of course because of the low print run.

John are you talking outta your azz again? NM 98 outclasses TMNT #1? :roflmao:

I don't know why people have such a hard time admitting that the prices for TMNT #1 are heavily influenced by the low print run and census numbers. John is absolutely right in that if it had similar numbers to NM98 it would sell for much much less. Since the comic comparison isn't possible due to the vast inequity in available copies, look at the movies for a comparison of "demand". The last TMNT grossed just under $500M globally. Deadpool is at $609M and still chugging strong, despite having an R rating which makes it less available to the population than TMNT. Will probably end up somewhere in the $800-900 range. You tell me who is a bigger global success (shrug)

TNMT cartoons run 12 times a day. My kids watch about an hour of turtles a day. My 4 year old calls me dude. I'm going to guess they sell a lot more toys than Deadpool. More clothing. More coloring books and other krap.

Surely my 2 and 6 year old that watches the cartoons,reads the comics,has TMNT clothes,bedding, and just about every toy there is will disagree too! :roflmao:

My son LOVES the cartoon, especially the recent episode where they enter Mikey's "psyche" and his core manifests itself as a child. My son calls it the "baby Mikey" episode and asks to watch it at least once a day among all the other things (Paw Patrol, Cars, Toy Story, Spiderman, etc).

In fact, because he loved the cartoon so much, we have a ritual where I record all the new episodes and we sit down and watch them each week together. Its fun!

FYI - this current cartoon version debuted in 2012, a full two years before the latest movie "resurrected the franchise..." :tonofbricks:

You are right, everyone is buying their little kids $10K comic books because the turtles are huge. Prices would not fall if there happened to be 2,000 9.8s on the census because we would just have more 4 year olds running around with slabs of TMNT #1 clutched in their grubby little hands.

You make zero sense.

1 - TMNT has been a cornerstone of pop culture and kids media for decades (movies, cartoons, tv shows, action figures, video games, comics, books, stickers, school supplies, stuffed animals, other toys, etc).

2 - Current adults grew up with TMNT and are now at a buying age to recapture a nostalgic piece of their youth with TMNT 1.

3 - TMNT 1 (first print) had a small print run, making it "rare" relative to other comics.

4 - TMNT is still popular today, making it a "safer" investment moving forward because the children of today become the buyers of tomorrow.

These are are all true statements and they are reasons why TMNT 1 is worth what it is worth.

What is your issue?

And

5. TMNT was a trend setter in the 80s with Anthropomorphic and B&W wave.

It was a copper age key then as it is now.

But......

Deadpool has been more relevant WITH COMIC BOOK SALES than TMNT for the past 3-4 years now. Regardless of movies or history

I can currently sell high grade NM98 copies alot faster than a TMNT book of equivalent value.

Rarity+value doesnt necessarily mean demand

Why are we even comparing the 2??? Because they are 1st appearances?

Thats silly. TMNT is a different animal.

TMNT is not as big with comic books as it is with movies, TV shows, merchandise, toys etc..

Deadpool is predominately a comic book success. It remains to be seen whether he will branch out to other markets than the comic book market, so until that happens theres nothing to compare here.

Edited by Aweandlorder

You are right, everyone is buying their little kids $10K comic books because the turtles are huge. Prices would not fall if there happened to be 2,000 9.8s on the census because we would just have more 4 year olds running around with slabs of TMNT #1 clutched in their grubby little hands.

---

Part of someone's investment analysis should be "will this be worth something in 25 years?" That's something people think about for long term investments. The fact that something is very appealing to kids 10+ now bodes well for the future as a collectible.

The Turtles have basically had a second wind (or third wind).

Again, I'm not comparing the two, just spouting. You're right, it would probably be $150 in 9.8 if there were 100,000 copies out there like NM 98

Edited by the blob

I can't agree with any of this.

Deadpool is hot right now, that's all.

The Ninja Turtles are a global success and have been for decades.

You don't have to agree, just know you don't do this for a living so I don't have agree with you either. (shrug)

So you are an expert on the matter because more people ask about books that are very well known to be more affordable than a TMNT #1?

Action #1 is pretty popular, how many times are you asked about a price on one of those?

Before I humor you why do you think TMNT #1 is vastly worth more than the list below?

ASM 300

NM 98

DD 168

WD #1

Bat 12

The obvious smaller print run plays a factor as does the Turtles being a far more common household name than the majority of the characters/books you've listed.

That is the only factor.

So not sure why people get so defensive about TMNT#1

TMNT #1 is a good book just not a book I would consider now more important than some other copper key books.

If TNMT #1 had the same print run as NM 98 and you had them both side by side in CGC 9.8 with similar values you can bet NM 98 would outsell TMNT #1. That is my point.

The print run is not the only factor.

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are known and loved by many globally and have been for decades. Deadpool is a blip on the screen in comparison.

To feel decades of being cherished would be outsold by a trend isn't something I will agree with either.

Deadpool was more popular in the comic book world well before the movie.

Print run is 110% the only factor.

TMNT yes has a couple more terrible POS movies, but Deadpool after this monster move hit (which just passed CAP 2 Winter Solder at the box office) has just started his rise to an A player.

Ryan Reynolds did to Deadpool what RDj did to Iron Man.

I have no long-term love for either of these characters for my own collection. This is my personal account of dealing these books for the past 10 years.

Yes Deadpool was known by many in the comic book world but he was not loved by most until years after his creation. This was not the case with TMNT.

Ryan launched a one trick pony that will not hold the attention span past three stand alone movies into mainstream.

I am not anti Deadpool. I think he's fun but one demensional and that doesn't last.

Dealing with these books only for the last 10 years hardly makes you an expert. You have no history as a dealer and apparently also as a TMNT fan during its rise.

Since I am not a comic book dealer how does one advance from what I am doing now to a "real" comic book dealer?

I was referring to your lack of experience during the rise of TMNT's.

Why does that matter?

I watched every episode when a kid but again we are talking about as of 3/1/16.

Give me your honest answer here.

If both NM 98 and TMNT #1 again had the same print runs and were worth 1k in CGC 9.8. If I owned 10 copies of each book and I tried to sell them side by side starting one year from now. Which would sell faster in your opinion and why.

If both NM 98 and TMNT #1 again had the same print runs and were worth 1k in CGC 9.8. If I owned 10 copies of each book and I tried to sell them side by side starting one year from now. Which would sell faster in your opinion and why.

Why not apply the same logic to AF 15, or TEC 27, Action 1...? What about Hulk 1 or FF 1?

It is a ridiculous speculative question whose answer will mirror the preferences stated before.

We get it, you sell a lot of NM98s. Congrats! What does that have to do with the value of it long-term relative to the value of TMNT 1 long-term?

You provide no other context other than, "I'm special because I sell comics and say so" and "lots of people are buying NM98 right now."

Honestly, your points are very arrogant and self-serving.

Edited by rfoiii

John are you talking outta your azz again? NM 98 outclasses TMNT #1? :roflmao:

I don't know why people have such a hard time admitting that the prices for TMNT #1 are heavily influenced by the low print run and census numbers. John is absolutely right in that if it had similar numbers to NM98 it would sell for much much less. Since the comic comparison isn't possible due to the vast inequity in available copies, look at the movies for a comparison of "demand". The last TMNT grossed just under $500M globally. Deadpool is at $609M and still chugging strong, despite having an R rating which makes it less available to the population than TMNT. Will probably end up somewhere in the $800-900 range. You tell me who is a bigger global success (shrug)

TNMT cartoons run 12 times a day. My kids watch about an hour of turtles a day. My 4 year old calls me dude. I'm going to guess they sell a lot more toys than Deadpool. More clothing. More coloring books and other krap.

Surely my 2 and 6 year old that watches the cartoons,reads the comics,has TMNT clothes,bedding, and just about every toy there is will disagree too! :roflmao:

My son LOVES the cartoon, especially the recent episode where they enter Mikey's "psyche" and his core manifests itself as a child. My son calls it the "baby Mikey" episode and asks to watch it at least once a day among all the other things (Paw Patrol, Cars, Toy Story, Spiderman, etc).

In fact, because he loved the cartoon so much, we have a ritual where I record all the new episodes and we sit down and watch them each week together. Its fun!

FYI - this current cartoon version debuted in 2012, a full two years before the latest movie "resurrected the franchise..." :tonofbricks:

You make zero sense.

1 - TMNT has been a cornerstone of pop culture and kids media for decades (movies, cartoons, tv shows, action figures, video games, comics, books, stickers, school supplies, stuffed animals, other toys, etc).

2 - Current adults grew up with TMNT and are now at a buying age to recapture a nostalgic piece of their youth with TMNT 1.

3 - TMNT 1 (first print) had a small print run, making it "rare" relative to other comics.

4 - TMNT is still popular today, making it a "safer" investment moving forward because the children of today become the buyers of tomorrow.

These are are all true statements and they are reasons why TMNT 1 is worth what it is worth.

What is your issue?

And

5. TMNT was a trend setter in the 80s with Anthropomorphic and B&W wave.

It was a copper age key then as it is now.

But......

Deadpool has been more relevant WITH COMIC BOOK SALES than TMNT for the past 3-4 years now. Regardless of movies or history

I can currently sell high grade NM98 copies alot faster than a TMNT book of equivalent value.

Rarity+value doesnt necessarily mean demand

Why are we even comparing the 2??? Because they are 1st appearances?

Thats silly. TMNT is a different animal.

TMNT is not as big with comic books as it is with movies, TV shows, merchandise, toys etc..

Deadpool is predominately a comic book success. It remains to be seen whether he will branch out to other markets than the comic book market, so until that happens theres nothing to compare here.

The longterm value of a franchise is determine far more by success of characters outside of comics versus in them. The value of a first appearance or key comic issue also is driven more by forces outside of comics than in them.

If the value of comics was purely about the stories and comic collectors, than titles like Fantastic Four 1 would grow inline with the likes of the Hulk.

The comparison and main point here is that Deadpool is a single faceted character that is only meaningful in relation to other characters. He does not and can not stand on his own and that is what will be his long-term downfall. They made the one relevant movie they could - his origin. Every subsequent move from now on will expose the fact that his shtick is shallow and repetitive. He is popular right now because he is the opposite of PC and pop-culture right now rewards the opposite of PC with their dollars (particularly Generation X-Y and Millennials).

He isn't capturing the hearts and minds of millions of children like TMNT have for decades and that is why there really is no contest here. Eventually NM 98 will go back to being worth very little relative to its current value.

Deadpool = Beanie Babies

If you want a detailed set of reasoning why NM98 is in a bubble, here:

My personal opinion is that the price of this book is still at current over-inflated due to five factors:

1) market pricing is being manipulated due to supply being held back across the board (i.e. individuals own multiple multiple copies of this book and only release a single copy at a time to maximize sale - this has been posted here for years and there are numerous cited examples recently in Deadpool/NM98 threads). This enables sellers to also maintain the false appearance and claims of "rarity" that drive purchase behavior ("rare" availability triggers an implied ability to hold value longer) when in fact there is an vast abundance of supply.

2) I would argue that the GPA price leveling is indicative of a supply curve that is about to outpace a demand curve and we will see downward pricing pressure as a result. This may make people "lock-up" their copies again, or not. However, if the popularity/demand is so strong and the supply was fixed - we would see more growth.

3) Deadpool's popularity is rising (has been for some time) but the value of NM 98 is caught up in the "movie boom" speculative nature of the hobby and because of its relative low cost of entry (versus other key first appearances) and the fact that it is a "newer/modern" character it is disproportionately being flipped consistently by internet and collectibles profiteers (people who purchase items for the sole purpose of turning a profit but are not consistently comic dealers - eBay created a forum for these people to thrive outside of local flee markets, it is a rapidly growing industry in general)

4) people who have enough cash to purchase this book are not the children who "love" the comic as cited here multiple times (ad nauseam) - they are adults. Given the relative recent popularity of the character, there hasn't been sufficient time for current adults to have "loved" the character throughout their childhood en masse and grown into fans as adults (sure there are some, but it takes generations to build character staying power and significant cultural following) meaning it is largely being purchased and resold not by collectors, but speculators (people who have no long term interest in the character or the book and will bail once popularity shifts to another character, genre or something new entirely)

5) DC and Marvel have done a very poor job of tying the success of their movie world to new comic sales and that bodes poorly for the future of the hobby - however, this is not securely a NM98 problem - however, given the large supply of this book it is at greater risk when the bottom drops out

Edited by rfoiii

I can see a lot of all sides here, but stating Reynolds did for Deadpool what RDJ did for Iron Man is really, really going pretty far out there. RDJ basically lifted the entire MCU on his back.

Reynolds turned in a good first performance as Deadpool.

Why not apply the same logic to AF 15, or TEC 27, Action 1...? What about Hulk 1 or FF 1?

It is a ridiculous speculative question whose answer will mirror the preferences stated before.

We get it, you sell a lot of NM98s. Congrats! What does that have to do with the value of it long-term relative to the value of TMNT 1 long-term?

You provide no other context other than, "I'm special because I sell comics and say so" and "lots of people are buying NM98 right now."

Honestly, your points are shallow and baseless.

Dude you constantly question people on these boards who have a ton more experience than you do. Until you travel the country and actually see what is going on in this hobby listen to others once in a while.

I am happy you love TMNT #1, but in no real life situation would TMNT #1 be worth as much as it is without it's low print run.

That is just basic common sense.

Same thing with Walking Dead #1.

NM 98 is a better book because even with it's large print run it is still growing and demand is still strong.

Will NM 98 ever be worth more than TMNT #1? Most likely no, but we are talking about what is a more important book. IMO NM 98 now and in the future.

NM 98 is not a bubble book is my point.

The comparison and main point here is that Deadpool is a single faceted character that is only meaningful in relation to other characters. He does not and can not stand on his own and that is what will be his long-term downfall. They made the one relevant movie they could - his origin. Every subsequent move from now on will expose the fact that his shtick is shallow and repetitive. He is popular right now because he is the opposite of PC and pop-culture right now rewards the opposite of PC with their dollars (particularly Generation X-Y and Millennials).

I said this like four pages ago, couldn't agree more - this is the main point for continued success outside of comics. How can they change him while maintaining the brand.

Calling the kettle black are yea. :baiting:

I can see a lot of all sides here, but stating Reynolds did for Deadpool what RDJ did for Iron Man is really, really going pretty far out there. RDJ basically lifted the entire MCU on his back.

+1

RDJ took a relatively unknown B-list character and gave him depth and opened a universe for the cinematic world.

Reynolds used a character built on cheap laughs with violence and sex capitalizing on popular culture and the backing of a very extensive marketing campaign. Seriously there was more marketing for this movie than any movie I have seen in the last decade. He played Deadpool well, but it was basically and hour and a half of sword fights, sex and poop jokes. It was funny, but hardly the stuff franchises are made of long-term.

Maybe. However, I am not the one going around touting that I own a comic shop and therefore my word is law on comics.

I also have no stake in the resale value of any of these comics while you do. If anything you stating that you sell a ton of NM 98 and then vehemently arguing that NM 98 is the best book to buy is more than a little self-serving. It even boarders on unethical.

Maybe. However, I am not the one going around touting that I own a comic shop and therefore my word is law on comics.

I also have no stake in the resale value of any of these comics while you do. If anything you stating that you sell a ton of NM 98 and then vehemently arguing that NM 98 is the best book to buy is more than a little self-serving. It even boarders on unethical.

The last few lines seem a little bit of a low blow. It's possible he actual believes it - just because he can make a dollar off of that belief doesn't mean he's trying to manipulate anything. Clearly, it doesn't mean he isn't, but that's sort of a low blow to throw without some reason for saying it.

Most people I talk to would disagree.

Ryan is the main reason this movie was even made. (shrug)

Deadpool just beat Cap 2 winter soldier (CAP 2 is great movie as well) and Deadpool still has some international markets yet to go.

Deadpool has been red hot for the past 4 years so with the movie and more movies to come how can anyone just think he is a fad?

Harley Quinn and Deadpool are the future for decades to come.

Honestly, your points are shallow and baseless.

Dude you constantly question people on these boards who have a ton more experience than you do. Until you travel the country and actually see what is going on in this hobby listen to others once in a while.

I am happy you love TMNT #1, but in no real life situation would TMNT #1 be worth as much as it is without it's low print run.

That is just basic common sense.

Same thing with Walking Dead #1.

NM 98 is a better book because even with it's large print run it is still growing and demand is still strong.

Will NM 98 ever be worth more than TMNT #1? Most likely no, but we are talking about what is a more important book. IMO NM 98 now and in the future.

NM 98 is not a bubble book is my point.

None of what you say and reference are reasonable arguments to support your conclusions. Your only evidence is personal experience and frankly a shaky understand of the "value" of comics to the hobby in general. Who do you think you are fooling Mr. Comic Book Dealer?

FYI - you have no idea who I am, how much experience I have and always assume you know more than who you are talking you. You don't know where I have been, what I have done or really anything about me. As usual, you are incorrect.

Deadpool just beat Cap 2 winter soldier (CAP 2 is great movie as well) and Deadpool still has some international markets yet to go.

Deadpool has been red hot for the past 4 years so with the movie and more movies to come how can anyone just think he is a fad?

There is no possible way you can spin the Reynolds Deadpool == RDJ Iron Man (at this point in time) - it is literally ridiculous.

Again, more ridiculous unprovable "personal experience" based arguments. Who are all these people? Name them, present them? What do they do for a living, why are they relevant?

They made the movie because they thought they could make money on it and crafted a very meticulous campaign centered around Reynolds to trick people into believing their farce. Actors have that haven't made one successful movie in a genre have no sway over what studios produce. However, people are stupid enough to believe anything on tv.

I had a conversation with an elderly lady the other day and she said she was going to personally fund the production of Woodgod. She is a multi-millionaire and going to make it happen.

Buy Woodgod 1!

Edited by rfoiii

The last few lines seem a little bit of a low blow. It's possible he actual believes it - just because he can make a dollar off of that belief doesn't mean he's trying to manipulate anything. Clearly, it doesn't mean he isn't, but that's sort of a low blow to throw without some reason for saying it.

Read his historic posts and then look at what he sells and tell me I am wrong and I will retract it.