• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Books that should be made into comics, but never will be

44 posts in this topic

Don't know if they "never will," but a few that come to mind:

- Lord of Light by Zelazny (basically a super-hero story, so it would fit right in)

- Asimov's Foundation Trilogy

- Edgar Pangborn's A Mirror for Observers (or Davy for that matter)

- Kipling's Kim

Has someone done Riverworld (To Your Scattered Bodies Go) yet as a comic?

Dostoyevkski's THE insufficiently_thoughtful_person. Maybe I would understand it better that way, or at least keep better track of the named characters!

But on a serious note in the same vein: Gogol's THE OVERCOAT would make a GREAT comic book, especially with the spooky end plot.

I totally agree about The Overcoat. Would also suggest comics of the following:

Milton's Paradise Lost and Paradise Regained

Marlowe's Dr. Faustus

Thomas Kyd's The Spanish Tragedy

John Webster's The Duchess of Malfi (blood and guts, baby)

John Ford's 'Tis Pity She's a Whore

Cyril De Tourneur's The Revenger's Tragedy (more blood and guts)

Shakespeare's Titus Andronicus (yummy)

Byron's Manfred and Don Juan

Cassanova's Diaries

PS Did anybody check out those Wagner/Ring comics that Dark Horse did a few years back? Those were pretty cool, but I think somehow fell slightly short of their potential... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

......... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif......"Vanna Speaks",...by Vanna White,...it's a courageous view of one woman rising against unsurmountable odds to rise to the top,.....did you know she was dyslexic as a child?.... they said she would never get anywhere in life reading backwards,.....

"Witness..." Amber Frey

0060799250.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Great posts! Great suggestions! 893applaud-thumb.gif

West mentioned C.S. Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia . This is probably news to no one, but The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe will apparently be hitting the big screen some time this year; < IMDB >.

Shrunken Head, I own a copy of Blake's Illustrations for the Book of Job. And I want you to know, that I'm not hoity-toity. Well, maybe a little hoity, but definitely not toity.

Another book that would work well in graphic form would be Jose Saramago's Blindness, if you don't mind the obvious Marxist slant of the book. It's kind of like Y the Last Man in that a world wide epidemic has struck, affecting everyone except one woman. The epidemic, as the title suggests, is blindness. The book shows the alliances formed under these circumstances and the evil the humanity is capable of, particularly in times of desperation. Saramago drags humanity through the depths. Just when you think the degradation can't get worse, it does. It's quite a page turner for a Nobel Prize winner.

The novel's subtext is a not so subtle retelling of the atrocities of the 20 century. The capitalists come off badly, and the Marxists are the heroes, though none are so directly labled.

Ijiwaru Sensei sumo.gif

WTB Invaders 3 and 17 CGC 9.6 or better

a) Ulysses by James Joyce

b) The Man in the High Castle by Philip K.

c) The Forever War by Joe Haldeman

Wasn't Ulysses done a year or two ago?

Indeed

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0283096/?fr=...fc=2;ft=43;fm=1

Yeah....but not as a comic book.....that's what we were taaaawwwkin' about!

Brad

a) Ulysses by James Joyce

b) The Man in the High Castle by Philip K.

c) The Forever War by Joe Haldeman

Wasn't Ulysses done a year or two ago?

Indeed

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0283096/?fr=...fc=2;ft=43;fm=1

Yeah....but not as a comic book.....that's what we were taaaawwwkin' about!

Brad

sorry.gif

BTW, Did you know that Ulysses Grant was saddled with the nickname 'useless' as a young lad? Of course, that's not as bad as going through life named Phil , is it?

Now that I think about it a Ulysses comic book adaptation would be strange. It would take 3-5 years to tell the story and by the end you'd still be on the same day as when you started! Beats the hell out of Peter Parker ageing only 10 years in 40+ actual years. I see the writer/artist team saying, "Gee, a decade has passed, let's get to tomorrow already."

Now that I think about it a Ulysses comic book adaptation would be strange. It would take 3-5 years to tell the story and by the end you'd still be on the same day as when you started! Beats the hell out of Peter Parker ageing only 10 years in 40+ actual years. I see the writer/artist team saying, "Gee, a decade has passed, let's get to tomorrow already."

I have a mini-comic version of Ulysses somewhere. The entire story in 8 pages. If I have time, I'll see if I can dig it up and scan it.

I love alternate history and Harry Turtledove is the best alternate history writer. His "World War" series would make an excellent comic book series. It deals with the premise of an alien race attempting to invade the Earth during WWII. His writing style details the perceptions of a host of charcters and the series has progressed from WWII (4 books), through to modern times (Colonization Series-4 books).

He also has another alternate history series with the premise that The South won the Civil War. Wouldn't transition well to comic format, but another great read. 893applaud-thumb.gif