• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This Thor is...hot??

85 posts in this topic

Personally, I think this sucks. Thor isn't just a Marvel comic hero, he's an ancient Nordic god with stories almost as old as time. You can't just change that...even if you are Marvel comics...

The Nordic Thor never teamed up with a group of superheroes known as the Avengers. That can't be why you dislike the switch.

It can be and it is. It's the same reason "Twilight" movies were for girls. You can't take a legend (ie. vampires) and make them sparkle in the sun! Everyone knows they can't survive in the daylight! You can't marry a vampire and have children, they are the undead and so on...everyone knows that. Thor is the same. HE is a god. His father is Odin, his brother, Loki. He lives in Valhalla...everyone knows that...it's been that way for thousands of years. Sure the tales are fictional, but stick with the legend...even if you team up with the Avengers.

The premise does seem lame. Like in Greek mythology, if someone else were "worthy" to wield Poseidon's trident or Zeus' thunderbolt, they wouldn't BE them. Deity names and identities don't transfer over with weapon-yielding.

When you borrow your neighbor's drill you don't assume his identity along with it. It's dumb.

I'm very thankful about the drill thing. I have an entire garage full of tools lent to people. The cases of mistaken identity would be more than any one man could handle. :roflmao:

I will give this comic a chance. Maybe it will be a good read.

+1 I really hope they take this chance to actually move back into characterization and away from mindless action.

Marvel is doing pretty good stuff with thier female books. I've got faith and looking forward to reading it. I really liked Thor as a novelty, but not much for reading. I'm excited to jump on the bandwagon.

+1 I really hope they take this chance to actually move back into characterization and away from mindless action.

Marvel is doing pretty good stuff with thier female books. I've got faith and looking forward to reading it. I really liked Thor as a novelty, but not much for reading. I'm excited to jump on the bandwagon.

To your expertise, what books do you recommend me to buy? She-Thor, Thor girl, Female Thor and what else? I do have What If Vol. 1 #10.

To your expertise, what books do you recommend me to buy? She-Thor, Thor girl, Female Thor and what else? I do have What If Vol. 1 #10.

Hard to recommend, as I don't know what you like to read, but I've read most of the recent female-centric titles, and here's my observations:

Storm has been a good read so far. Fearless Defenders was great, but got cancelled. X-Men (all girls title) has been ok, although I really couldn't jump on the storyline, people have had positive reviews on it.

Elektra has got great art and is really introspective - I like the all-around feel of this book, and if anything - it reads more like an "Image" title than a Marvel title.

The new Captain Marvel is stalled, but I have faith that it will pick up based on it's previous two volumes - I think they're trying to get footing on the cosmic aspect of her character.

I absolutely could not get into Black Widow - I wish I could have because I liked the art, but it didn't do it for me. She-Hulk was the opposite - I did not like the art and it was really distracting for me. Ms. Marvel started out a little too teen-agery for me, but have heard it's gotten pretty good, so I'll probably check it out again.

If you want to venture outside Marvel, Red Sonja's current Dynamite run is really a lot of fun, with great storyarcs so far.

Hard to recommend, as I don't know what you like to read, but I've read most of the recent female-centric titles, and here's my observations:

Storm has been a good read so far. Fearless Defenders was great, but got cancelled. X-Men (all girls title) has been ok, although I really couldn't jump on the storyline, people have had positive reviews on it.

Elektra has got great art and is really introspective - I like the all-around feel of this book, and if anything - it reads more like an "Image" title than a Marvel title.

The new Captain Marvel is stalled, but I have faith that it will pick up based on it's previous two volumes - I think they're trying to get footing on the cosmic aspect of her character.

I absolutely could not get into Black Widow - I wish I could have because I liked the art, but it didn't do it for me. She-Hulk was the opposite - I did not like the art and it was really distracting for me. Ms. Marvel started out a little too teen-agery for me, but have heard it's gotten pretty good, so I'll probably check it out again.

If you want to venture outside Marvel, Red Sonja's current Dynamite run is really a lot of fun, with great storyarcs so far.

All first appearances of female characters are no problem for me but I find myself unaware about the possible the new movie of Female Thor. I believe Thor #1 (the recent one) is the one I should grab. Is there any other books before this new copy?

That is my question. I got the impression that many people doubt about this.

:news: I realized the new books are already released recently! Too many variants that already tear me. Too many 1:50 copies except 1:75 Alex Ross cover.

You DO realize that henceforth, there will have to be a deliniation.

In any discussion when you use Thor as any example, you will invariably spark a question of "You mean Thor, or Female Thor?" question. And eventually, the old thor will become Male Thor, when referring to the old version and Female Thor when discussing the new comics.

They might as well call the new comic "Female Thor". And redact all classic Thor comics with the modified MALE THOR logo on all digital copies.

This obviously isn't an issue with Wonderman/Wonder Woman, or Spider-man/Spider-woman...Superman/Supergirl.etc.etc. Because the gender is part of their name.

I noted it was an issue with the original Alpha Flight series where Vindicator was replaced with his wife.

comic geek 1: "Vindicator is awesome! Flight, power blasts, super strength and totally kicked Box's butt in isue blah-blah!"

Comic geek 2: "Heck Yeah! SHe rocks!"

Comic Geek 1: "Oh...no...I meant the original Vindicator, James Hudson."

Comic Geek 2: "Oh. I thought you meant the Female Vindicator, Heather Hudson. She's been Vindicator longer."

Comic Geek 1: "If I meant Female Vindicator, I would have said 'Female Vindicator'. Why would you even assume I meant his wife?!?! Even in the comics, everyone calls her Heather!"

Comic Geek 2: "But James was only Vindicator for like 20 issues, which is like 5 minutes in comic book time, before he got killed..."

ad infinitum. :baiting:

-T

Personally, I think this sucks. Thor isn't just a Marvel comic hero, he's an ancient Nordic god with stories almost as old as time. You can't just change that...even if you are Marvel comics...

The Nordic Thor never teamed up with a group of superheroes known as the Avengers. That can't be why you dislike the switch.

It can be and it is. It's the same reason "Twilight" movies were for girls. You can't take a legend (ie. vampires) and make them sparkle in the sun! Everyone knows they can't survive in the daylight! You can't marry a vampire and have children, they are the undead and so on...everyone knows that. Thor is the same. HE is a god. His father is Odin, his brother, Loki. He lives in Valhalla...everyone knows that...it's been that way for thousands of years. Sure the tales are fictional, but stick with the legend...even if you team up with the Avengers.

The premise does seem lame. Like in Greek mythology, if someone else were "worthy" to wield Poseidon's trident or Zeus' thunderbolt, they wouldn't BE them. Deity names and identities don't transfer over with weapon-yielding.

When you borrow your neighbor's drill you don't assume his identity along with it. It's dumb.

I just asked my wife and kids about this last night. They all thought it sounded dumb, even my 13 year old. I'll reserve judgment, because I saw the Doc Ock Spider-Man become successful.

Marvel's Thor is probably a gateway superhero for many kids. They learn/read about Thor in school and when you start reading comics, you are drawn to Thor because of the familiarity. I'm not sure why they wouldn't want to strengthen that relationship instead of severing it like they are doing IMHO. I came to Marvel comics through Star Wars, but Thor was my first superhero title. All the more reason why I know, despite what Marvel is saying, this is a temporary change.

"The female Thor will "be able to do things the other guy couldn't do; she'll have a different relationship with Mjolnir," Aaron promised. "I'm not going to say it's gonna start talking, but it will definitely be a presence in the book."

Whoa. Now there's a minefield quote if there ever was one. :eek:hm(tsk):blush::eek:

"The female Thor will "be able to do things the other guy couldn't do; she'll have a different relationship with Mjolnir," Aaron promised. "I'm not going to say it's gonna start talking, but it will definitely be a presence in the book."

Whoa. Now there's a minefield quote if there ever was one. :eek:

And you know, this quote was delivered open ended like this on purpose. Pretty sick if you ask me. :facepalm:

I personally never been a big Thor fan...my opinion will remain the same about this and the new switch of captain America. i think it's a horrible idea to change something thats been the same and fans loved for such a long time just to make sales and have everyone feel Marvel is politically correct.

I think both the new versions of Thor and Cap that come out tomorrow will be the same as the whole doctor Oct becoming spidey storyline, it'll last about half a year or a little more and then everything goes back to normal.

Whoa. Now there's a minefield quote if there ever was one. :eek:

And you know, this quote was delivered open ended like this on purpose. Pretty sick if you ask me. :facepalm:

I seriously doubt that. Not everything is sexual, depsite the fact that most people try to force it.

I think both the new versions of Thor and Cap that come out tomorrow will be the same as the whole doctor Oct becoming spidey storyline, it'll last about half a year or a little more and then everything goes back to normal.

I agree. And with Superior Spider-man, I was a pleasantly surprised new reader, because I didn't follow Peter Parker. I'm sure the same strategy was employed for Thor and Cap.