• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which is better...complete but restored versus missing a page but not restored?

15 posts in this topic

For a book silver age or older, would the consensus be that the better pruchase (price neutral) be a restored book that is complete, or an unrestored book that is missing a page. For this example, let's say it is a page that doesn't impact the story, like an advertisement page. If I were to buy one, which would be recommended? I would be buying as a collector, but pretty much everything cycles through and gets sold to buy something else eventually.

Thanks for the opinions.

For a book silver age or older, would the consensus be that the better pruchase (price neutral) be a restored book that is complete, or an unrestored book that is missing a page. For this example, let's say it is a page that doesn't impact the story, like an advertisement page. If I were to buy one, which would be recommended? I would be buying as a collector, but pretty much everything cycles through and gets sold to buy something else eventually.

Thanks for the opinions.

There is no consensus on this. It really is just a matter of personal preference. Me personally though, I would never own either.

-J.

When it comes to buying them graded, I prefer (and don't mind) restored books for display.

However I would only buy an incomplete book raw, and only then those which either a) I might one day marry in the missing parts from a donor copy, 2) Is a golden age book that I want for the cover, and the interior bad story isn't something I care about.

Depends really - if you are talking in CGC terms -

ad page missing = green label

restored with married page = purple label

from a "cost" standpoint - not a ton of data out there for older books on GPA (did a quick look at FF 1 and JLA 1 ) for comparative recent sales - but hulk 181 has at least value and volume to look at. Qualified (most with missing value stamp but some with missing page) - vs resto do not have a lot of difference in sale price - but this does not include the fact that there is a cost involved for the resto (assuming someone paying a professional) .

- either are a tougher resell than a standard raw or graded - even if the (non resto or incomplete) books are lower grade as many do not want them.

Me - I do agree with the dog in that I would rather have the missing ad page. If it is a book of value - might be a good donator in case you find another copy that can be matched to make one good book.

Thanks to all for the input. To put it all out there, I want to get an ASM #3 that looks reasonably good. I can't spend high dollars on a good looking book with no restoration or without some flaws like a missing page (unless the well presenting, complete copies for $250 - $400 are just eluding me). So, I've been going back and forth on which is better to be comfortable with (restoration or missing page) and which will allow me to sell at some later point and not lose money.

Can we clarify... are you buying to keep, but want to be able to sell in the event of an emergency, or are you holding it until you can make a buck?

You don't want to be investing in restored or qualified Silver age unless it's a very big book. Everything else is common enough that there are other copies out there for every budget, and both defects seriously limit your potential buyers. If you just want to be able to sell back later, you might be able to get your money back. If you think the next Spidey movie is going to drive the price up, it would have already, but if you're feeling froggy, pony up the cash for a better copy and jump.

I'm buying to keep until I feel compelled to sell to fund another purchase at some point. So...not necessarily looking for a sharp price increase, but looking for something reasonably easy to flip if/when the mood strikes.

I flirted with a few restored offerings recently for some SA ASM keys. A friend talked me out of it for the reasons stated here. Patience is a virtue in this area. The right book will show up.

Yep. It's ASM. There's always another copy. Always.

Generally I'd take a slightly restored copy over an incomplete, but there are too many variables; nature of restoration, eye-appeal, importance of and potential difficulty in replacing missing page, etc., for that to be a hard and fast rule.