• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will Eisner RIP

21 posts in this topic

I met him many years ago in San Diego. It was for an academic conference on comics right before the San Diego con. I read a paper. The highlight was the panel discussion between Eisner and Scott McCloud (who had just released Understanding Comics). There were about 30 people in the audience, half of them comic professionals and it was simply amazing. Eisner was bright and charming and full of insights. Truly one of the giants of the industry. I am glad I had the chance to meet him in a small setting and talk with him.

I got to meet Mr. Eisner when he was a guest at our show this past summer. He was a true gentleman and everyone who met him was affected by him. His generousity and warmth were remarkable.

I can't believe it. I'm devastated...

sorry.gif

I first was introduced to Will Eisner through the Warren Magazine reprints of the Spirit and quickly became a fan. I loved how he would very imaginitively incorporate the words "The Spirit" into his title pages. When I heard of his heart surgery and knowing his age, I feared the worst. What a great artist and body of work, he will be missed! angel.gif

I met him this past summer. I'm not really sure how to sum up, in words, the type of person he was. It is too difficult.

I can tell you one story that happened while he was at the Paradise convention last year though. He was getting his picture taken with to 2 people, and as soon as the person taking the picture clicked the camera, he exclaimed, 'Wait, I haven't fixed my hair yet'.

Rest in Peace Mr. Eisner. You will not soon be forgotten.

Alex

A true Giant of the industry! What a major loss!! His art,storytelling,& contributions,cannot be praised enough!! We here in comic fandom are going to miss you Will!! sorry.gif

Will Eisner passed away last night. He had heart surgery last month and died of complications last night. He was 87. sorry.gif

West

Wow, what a shock. frown.gif He was a great man.

xoxo - aside from being a comics pioneer in general, eisner practically invented the graphic novel

also one of the first (if not the first) to use the comic format for genuine social commentary

a real shame, i think i posted here not more than 2 weeks ago that it will be a real shame when he passes away

Wow I was just reading Kelly Freas' obit in the paper, and I log on to find out Eisner has passed.

It is sad to hear he's gone, but I'm glad that he had lived long enough to see his contributions to sequential art aknowledged by both fans and historians. The comic book pioneers are disappearing fast.